BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Aftermarket BMW X1 F48 LCI Style LED Headlights

08-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #23
djdelta
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 sdrive 18d

Do these not require headlight washers?

Cheers,
Florin
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #24
link_sy
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyredgtr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_1979 View Post
Awesome, you're going to love them!

I debated doing another thread on the front bumper removal, but just didn't have the time. I'll try to point out a few things that might be helpful.

The first step is to remove the trim around the wheels. In order to do this, you have to drill out the plastic rivets. Using a small drill, go right through the center. This will allow the front of the rivet to fall off. After the entire trim piece is removed, you'll be able to fish around and find the back of the rivets that fell inside. Sounds extreme but it's really not. This will be the only part of the process that's a little tricky. Keep in mind you'll have to pick up some replacement plastic rivets when you're done. No biggie.

After that it's really just a matter of working your way around and removing all the screws/bolts attaching the front bumper cover to the vehicle. Will be a big help having a second person to help pull the bumper off as it's pretty big and awkward for one person. I didn't bother removing all the wiring and separating the entire bumper cover, just pulled it forward and sat it on a dolly.

For the headlights themselves, there's 4 bolts you'll need to remove. Three are clearly visible, one is located underneath the headlight, you'll locate this coming in from the rear of the headlight housing. That one's a little tricky but once the cover's off and you look at the bottom of the headlight, you'll see exactly where it's mounted.

Once you get that far, the rest will be a breeze. Get the new headlight into place and get the 4 bolts snug, but not tight. Enough play in them to make adjustments. Once it's positioned how you like it, tighten the bolts. Reverse your process putting the bumper cover back on.

All of it is completely doable by anyone with a set of sockets and a screwdriver. Bring some patience and do it on a day with some nice weather, it's a fun project and nothing back-breaking involved.

Here's a video that I found helpful going in just to get my head wrapped around the location of the bolts.

Awesome, thanks, very very helpfull. I will begin my project soon. I received my led headlights on Monday.
Really apreciate it. I will take some pics and let you know.
Thank you
Was this project successful? Please share your experience
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #25
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded

Better looking than the OE halogen for sure. However, the 'eyebrows' don't lit, and do I see no heat-sinks or you didn't picture them? How long would those last without heat-sinks?

Do they self-leveling on cold start? Pretty sure no BMW is using that kind of headlights, looks similar to LCI though, so believe neither "Made in Spain" nor "BMW".
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:32 PM   #26
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00max00 View Post
Better looking than the OE halogen for sure. However, the 'eyebrows' don't lit, and do I see no heat-sinks or you didn't picture them? How long would those last without heat-sinks?

Do they self-leveling on cold start? Pretty sure no BMW is using that kind of headlights, looks similar to LCI though, so believe neither "Made in Spain" nor "BMW".
These are aftermarket headlights. No, they are not manufactured by BMW. No they are not self-leveling. They are assembled using the same VALEO housings used in BMW OEM headlights. They are assembled and sold in China.

The LED bulbs are inside the headlight housing. Yes they have heatsinks.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #27
bimmoris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Merry Xmas to me I guess. I went for it and bought these. Have been disappointed with having the halogen lights on my car. I’ve never really done much auto maintenance beyond the basics, so hopefully I can figure out the installation process. Will report back, but thanks for finding such a good looking aftermarket upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #28
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmoris View Post
Merry Xmas to me I guess. I went for it and bought these. Have been disappointed with having the halogen lights on my car. I’ve never really done much auto maintenance beyond the basics, so hopefully I can figure out the installation process. Will report back, but thanks for finding such a good looking aftermarket upgrade.
It's not a cheap upgrade, but I can assure you you'll never regret it for a moment. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about the install, I'll be happy to help if I can. It's all bumper removal and re-installation, of which most is common sense. There's a video posted in this thread that offers some help in understanding the process. Also make sure you post pics!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 04:11 AM   #29
link_sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmoris View Post
I don't think you will regret the upgrade. I've heard lots of cars are doing these changes in China. I've been checking to see if there is any difference in the RHD and LHD drives as they say they sell a universal option.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #30
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by link_sy View Post
I don't think you will regret the upgrade. I've heard lots of cars are doing these changes in China. I've been checking to see if there is any difference in the RHD and LHD drives as they say they sell a universal option.
I'm fairly certain I recall them asking whether the vehicle was LHD or RHD on purchasing. Must be something they need to configure based on the application.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:46 AM   #31
link_sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by link_sy View Post
I'm fairly certain I recall them asking whether the vehicle was LHD or RHD on purchasing. Must be something they need to configure based on the application.
I'm sure you're right. So I would recommend everyone to check this before making the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #32
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
They are 'plug-and-play', no coding needed. No errors, simple swap out for the OEM headlights.

Different sellers have different bulb setups, some ship with halogen turn signals. Upgrading these to LED is a simply process using BimmerCode.
Awesome post, thank you for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 04:42 AM   #33
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep

I was looking at getting a set of these, but, there is one thing that is bugging me (maybe more than it should lol): the indicator flashing dynamically but in the wrong direction!

Such a shame...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 09:49 AM   #34
jaskispyder
Rep
Drives: Z4

I am looking at doing the same thing and was wondering if anyone else has any reports on the quality and such.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #35
locau
Rep
Drives: x1

They look pretty neat, nice job !

And yes like almost everyone here with an older X1 version we all have seen options and how to retrofit LED headlights with mininum changes

You much did you spend changing them?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #36
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by locau View Post
You much did you spend changing them?
Probably around $1200 with shipping
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #37
locau
Rep
Drives: x1

Well that's a bit ,,

Besides "looks" have you tough on changing the h7 to something white instead of the yellow field ?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 10:26 AM   #38
Reefy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i BMW, 2017 X1 BMW 28i

Looks amazing! Good work
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 07:03 PM   #39
X1-Cuellar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

[QUOTE=JR_1979;26301710]The bulbs you're looking at in the pics and video were included with the headlight. I've since upgraded all of them since the turn signals were halogen and the headlights I felt could be brighter. Have to keep in mind the company manufacturing the headlight doesn't include any bulbs, so any bulbs you're getting are chosen and included by the seller. Obviously they're going to look for budget options.

The headlight projector housing takes a D2H bulb, typical for HID bulbs but a rare size for LED. I went with these, one of the few options but they're great and twice as bright as the bulbs the headlight came packaged with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PNF2PTF

The base actually ended up being a little thinner than the D2H, but I was able to slip a rubber washer around it to beef it up. Fits nice and snug in the housing. Another option is to find a true D2H bulb, or even go with HID, which have a ton of options in this size.

Turn signal bulbs are PY21W, same as OEM. I went with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RMX2XK6

Do these fit inside the case or did you have to leave the back covers off? After you added did you get errors ? I bought the lights but been having trouble with one bulb and ballasts. Want to switch to the LED’s
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 08:12 PM   #40
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1-Cuellar View Post
Do these fit inside the case or did you have to leave the back covers off? After you added did you get errors ? I bought the lights but been having trouble with one bulb and ballasts. Want to switch to the LED’s

As I stated in the post, the bulbs I linked to needed a small rubber grommet to beef them up in order to sit snug. Yes, they fit inside the housing and secure properly with the bulb covers. They're great and have had zero issues.

Regarding errors, it really just comes down to what your X1 is programmed for. It sounds like you're already running something other than halogen, and I assume you'd only buy these if your X1 came with halogen headlights. If that's the case, then no, swapping from whatever bulbs you're currently using to these would not cause any errors.

I swapped the halogen turn signals that came with the units for LEDs, which would have thrown an error had I not switched the computer to LED with Bimmercode. All that's been covered ad nauseam in this forum, if you're not already familiar with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 01:23 PM   #41
X1-Cuellar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Thanks , new bulbs arrive today. Already had 2 issues with one side going out with with xenon bulbs and ballast it shipped with
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 12:09 PM   #42
nebka94
Nebka94
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 f48

Nice Job !!! there is no more listing on ebay :/
Appreciate 0