BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Adding Driver Assistance after the fact..

09-15-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: not sure..

Adding Driver Assistance after the fact..

Question? I just picked up a CPO 18' msport X1 and realized after pickup that it doesn't have the Driver Assistance, but has the rear camera/park distance control.is this something I can have BMW install?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

I think you will have better luck with an indy shop, but honestly, I don't know if it can be done or how much labor will be required if possible.

When I bought my second-hand 17' M-Sport X1, I asked BMW to install the rear camera and the folding mirrors, and they told me they couldn't do it. I think they don't want to mess up with electrical stuff, you know.

I ended up installing the rear camera+MMI-box myself, haha. And I'm still learning how to retrofit the folding mirrors. One day I will do it.
      09-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
I think you will have better luck with an indy shop, but honestly, I don't know if it can be done or how much labor will be required if possible.

When I bought my second-hand 17' M-Sport X1, I asked BMW to install the rear camera and the folding mirrors, and they told me they couldn't do it. I think they don't want to mess up with electrical stuff, you know.

I ended up installing the rear camera+MMI-box myself, haha. And I'm still learning how to retrofit the folding mirrors. One day I will do it.
Oh man.. I guess I can look into it.. it's basically safety features that seem to be standard on almost every car now, but yet was a whole package with BMW. My x1 I traded in had the package.. good luck with the mirrors though 👍
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:13 AM   #4
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

There's a writeup somewhere on the retrofit. X1 is fairly easy as it doesn't have a radar but only camera and the front parking sensors. But it will require a bumper swap to get those sensors, and of course enabling the features via software.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #5
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
There's a writeup somewhere on the retrofit. X1 is fairly easy as it doesn't have a radar but only camera and the front parking sensors. But it will require a bumper swap to get those sensors, and of course enabling the features via software.
So even with the parking sensors and rear camera I'd still need to swap the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #6
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Parking sensors in the front bumper require the bumper swap.
The front camera is connected to the rearview mirror which will need swapping and wiring up.
Appreciate 0