BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Brake fluid

09-06-2021, 01:02 PM   #1
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

Brake fluid

My local BMW dealer, Parks BMW in Hamilton, are looking to charge £99 for 5th year brake fluid change on my X1.

Anyone in UK had this done at a dealer and what was the rough cost?

I am assuming an indie will be much cheaper, is there a specific brake fluid BMW insist on (I have just taken out an extended warranty so want to make sure I'm complying with that).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Can't comment on UK but I think I paid 115 Euro in Ireland so about the same.

No idea regards fluid type etc as I don't mess with the corrosive crap even though I'm a mechanic and could, I prefer someone else risk their sight, their tarmac driveway and ensure its fully bled hence was happy to have BMW do it.

Be careful if your doing it yourself that stuff is nasty.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
Can't comment on UK but I think I paid 115 Euro in Ireland so about the same.

No idea regards fluid type etc as I don't mess with the corrosive crap even though I'm a mechanic and could, I prefer someone else risk their sight, their tarmac driveway and ensure its fully bled hence was happy to have BMW do it.

Be careful if your doing it yourself that stuff is nasty.

Agreed...
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 02:39 PM   #4
Semi Retired
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xline xdrive White

Hi I had the 5 year brake fluid change done on my 20d about a month ago. I said I would never have this done again but I relented, as the car had to go into the dealer for urgent software update due to idrive continually crashing, different story. Anyway booked car in for diagnostics and brake fluid change at a pre agreed cost of £89 fair does as others have said nasty stuff leave it to the experts!!! Anyway came to pay the bill and service wanted to charge me £103 queried this and apparently they have two tier pricing ie booked online via BMW app lower price less admin. So although £99 is not necessarily a ripoff there should be room for negotiation. Otherwise known as price matching 🤔Dealer is Rybrock Worcester. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 06:35 PM   #5
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Hi BobbyGrant,

Regarding the brake fluid, it must be a DOT 4 Low Viscosity.

I changed the brake fluid a few months ago, and I used the BMW Dot4 LV fluid (83132405977) for £12 per liter. Some others well-known options are ATE SL.6 DOT4 (low viscosity) and Pentosin DOT4 LV. But any Dot4 LV will do.

Talking about the procedure, you definitely need a pressure bleeder to do it right. I also changed to SS brake lines, so I did a DSC/ABS bleed using ISTA too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGrant View Post
My local BMW dealer, Parks BMW in Hamilton, are looking to charge £99 for 5th year brake fluid change on my X1.

I am assuming an indie will be much cheaper, is there a specific brake fluid BMW insist on (I have just taken out an extended warranty so want to make sure I'm complying with that).
      09-06-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I have a MOTIV kit that I used on my F33 with no issues. No leaks or drips. Flushed it all. Took longer to get each corner and tire up and off. I wish I had a lift.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:10 PM   #7
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGrant View Post

5 year brake fluid change?

As in it wasn't changed for 5 years?

100 quid doesn't seem bad, not sure how it is in the Uk but in the us it's sometimes hard to find a store or dealer to dispose of used brake fluid.

So it's worth considering if you don't have a pressure bleeder and computer with Ista to bleed the abs.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 06:45 AM   #8
Predki
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Im due for a brake fluid change and I’m seeing that some flush ABS/DSC. I understand that doing this ups the complexity of the job quite a bit seeing as you need something like ISTA software.

My question is, when is it necessary to flush the ABS DSC? Should this be done with each brake fluid change?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 09:59 AM   #9
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predki View Post
Im due for a brake fluid change and I’m seeing that some flush ABS/DSC. I understand that doing this ups the complexity of the job quite a bit seeing as you need something like ISTA software.

My question is, when is it necessary to flush the ABS DSC? Should this be done with each brake fluid change?
Not sure how you "flush the ABS DCS" separately from doing a routine brake fluid change. BMW's procedure calls for flushing the lines in this order (assuming brake reservoir is on left-hand side): rear right > rear left > front right > front left > actuate emergency parking brake twice > rear right > rear left. I think the last 3 steps will take care of any old fluid in the ABS.

As jrveron mentioned, make sure to use low viscosity DOT 4. I had to do this service twice because the first time I used non-LV DOT 4 (specifically, ATE Typ 200 DOT 4) and it caused a squeaking noise when the pedal was pressed down. No change in braking performance, but the noise was annoying and unsettling. It's almost all gone now, so pretty sure non-LV fluid was the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:53 AM   #10
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predki View Post

Hi Predki,

You only need to do the ABS/DSC flush routine from ISTA if, for example, you change the brake lines or if the regular bleeding leaves some strange feeling on the brakes.

So, generally speaking, just do a normal bleeding following Skyline directions. I highly recommend using a pressure bleeder.