BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Crazy thought/question... astrophysicists welcome...

07-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Crazy thought/question... astrophysicists welcome...

OK so, you put a pressurized container in space, puncture it, and the gas escapes, right?

Well, what if you measure the pressure inside the container, and put a controlled hole in it and measured the time it takes for the container to depressurize.

Couldn't you calculate the pressure/vacuum in space by using the time it takes through a surface hole to equalize the pressure from the container?

And further, wouldn't said measurement be able to confirm/deny if the universe is indeed a vacuum/expanding or if it is just incredibly low pressure?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

you're either high or really bored
      07-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I'm sure there's a formula out there using container pressure, pressure outside (pressure difference), size of hole, time
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Space has a pressure of 1.322 × 10^-11 Pa.
      07-30-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Space has a pressure of 1.322 × 10^-11 Pa.
Oh, so they've already figured it out. I kinda thought they would've by now. How did they do it?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 02:44 AM   #7
whyrms
Private
Rep
Drives: foot mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren57 View Post
Oh, so they've already figured it out. I kinda thought they would've by now. How did they do it?
punctured a hole on a space ship, and the monkey inside measured how long it took...

but honestly, you know how they got that measurement? they basically calculated the average amount of free molecules floating in a quadrant of space by putting out a type of net and seeing how many shit bumps into it at a certain time interval. Then they see how much kinetic energy these molecules would impart on a surface if it hits a surface and voila they got the pressure. Cause that's what pressure basically is. The amount of kinetic energy imparting on a surface by the gases molecule inside the container, or outside the container.

so your statement whether it is a vacuum or has pressure...well, it has pressure, but the definition of pressure here is a little obscured...So yeah, has nothing to do with the fabric of space. That, my friend, is another topic all together.

and while we're on the subject...You know what? I'm tired of these scientists that makes up obscure theories and all the people that jumps on the band wagons like they have found the holy grail...take string theory for instance...so all that they found was a system to describe the different particles that has a description for every single particle so far and they jump on that shit like crazy and saying that maybe all fundamental particles are made of vibrating strings. Well tell you what, I'm sure if you think long and hard enough, I'm sure you'll find a system to describe the fundamental particles that doesn't involve strings, what then? are the particles still string? Anyway, before anyone say, "well why don't you come up with something", well I really don't have time for that, school is killing me. But to think that the collective of the scientific community haven't come up with anything practical for the past 100 or so years...it's pretty annoying...
Appreciate 0