BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) m35i terrible ride quality

12-08-2023, 03:06 AM   #1
AlistairMcKerr
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 m35i

Post m35i terrible ride quality

I'm looking for some input from forums members. I recently bought a BMW assured used X2 m35i from a deal some distance away after taking a test drive in a 20d M Sport on optional fit 20in wheels which the local dealer assured me would ride the same as the m35i (they didn't have one in stock at the time). That test drive seemed fine.

I didn't really notice much on the way home in my new car (300 miles of relatively smooth motorway driving) but over the last 2 weeks, in the much colder weather and on varied roads I've become very aware that the ride is very "bouncy" - very underdamped. I've tried tinkering with tyre pressures and that seems to help a little. I've also noticed that on longer drives the ride *seems* to improve, although that might just be wishful thinking. I have to say in over 30 years of driving and having owned multiple BMWs over the years, this car as by far the worst ride I've ever experienced.

I had assumed that buying "used, approved" would given me some confort that the car would be fit for purpose so before I go harrassing my local dealer to assess the suspension for a warranty claim, I'm interested in the view of forums members?

Who else has an m35i and what's your view of its ride? Any suggestions of things I could try to improve things?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 04:12 AM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
As soon as the runflats wore out at 21k miles I replaced them with goflats and the ride improved tremendously.

I got Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires.

Probably going to replace those with CrossClimate2 tires when they wear out.

I made a spare setup and tossed a jack in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 05:17 AM   #3
AlistairMcKerr
Rep

Tyre avaialbility

Sadly, I can't find any all season tyres in the right size of 225/40R20 in the UK - did you go to 245/35R20 which seems to be popular change?

I tried changing from runflats to goflats on my 640d GC and didn't notice a huge difference but they were 30 profile so there wasn't much side wall depth to play with! I had better luck with a previous 320d Touring on 40 profile, so might try that.

I'm really interested in how bad you found the ride before the change - my x35i really bounces around and the nearest I've come to this before was a mates special edition Subaru WRX STi that was like being strapped into a paint mixer/shaker - thats the only car I've ever felt sick in! My rear passengers find the ride really uncomfortable, much more so than in the front.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 06:24 AM   #4
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Mine came with 19s so I had more tire choices. This is my fourth bmw and every single time I have switched to goflats as soon as the original runflats wore out and the ride has always improved. But none of them were 30 or 35 aspect.

I have never gone larger than 19” wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 06:39 AM   #5
AlistairMcKerr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Mine came with 19s so I had more tire choices. This is my fourth bmw and every single time I have switched to goflats as soon as the original runflats wore out and the ride has always improved. But none of them were 30 or 35 aspect.

I have never gone larger than 19” wheels.
I're read that the 19inch shod m35i's ride better anyway. In the UK, the m35i can't be ordered with 19s or the dynamic dampers, so they come with 20 inch as standard. I am wondering about downsizing to the 19s tho...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 10:31 AM   #6
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I just changed over to my winter tires and yes the ride improved. I would say the suspension is tight (ie your reference to the STI). And this is a lighter car, so it doesn't have as planted as a feel. I'm not sure what you're used to as it's all subjective. This m35i definitely rides a bit stiffer than our 2016 X1 (which is msport so also a bit stiffer than the regular). So this is maybe why you don't like it as much? I would say the only easy way would be to change your tires to the goflats as any other suspension mod is more costly and generally lowering it would make it stiffer.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 10:51 AM   #7
AlistairMcKerr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I just changed over to my winter tires and yes the ride improved. I would say the suspension is tight (ie your reference to the STI). And this is a lighter car, so it doesn't have as planted as a feel. I'm not sure what you're used to as it's all subjective. This m35i definitely rides a bit stiffer than our 2016 X1 (which is msport so also a bit stiffer than the regular). So this is maybe why you don't like it as much? I would say the only easy way would be to change your tires to the goflats as any other suspension mod is more costly and generally lowering it would make it stiffer.
Hi there, I'm used to sports cars and my last car was a 640d GC M-Sport on 20inch wheels with 30 section tires - you don't get much stiffer than that! I've also driven several other M-Sport BMWs and none of they ride even close to how bad m yX2 rides. The issue i have is, the ride is bouncy, not stiff/hard, it feels chronically underdamped. I have been wondering if one or more of the gas dampers have actually failed (leaking) so are not controlling the spring bounce properly? I'm really seeking some broader opinions before approaching my local dealer for a checkup - I don't want to be fobbed off with "they are all like that" if its not true.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 12:10 PM   #8
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Well it sounds like it may be a bad damper. It certainly does not feel like an improperly dialed in set of coilovers.. but to me it feels light, plus it's fwd biased so it does not "feel" like all my previous generation bmws that push and squat from the rear. The bumpy corners and sweeping turns on my commute do not feel any worse than my other cars either so it may be that there's something a little off with yours.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 01:28 PM   #9
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlistairMcKerr View Post
I're read that the 19inch shod m35i's ride better anyway. In the UK, the m35i can't be ordered with 19s or the dynamic dampers, so they come with 20 inch as standard. I am wondering about downsizing to the 19s tho...
The ride improves a lot more when switching from 19" run-flat summer to 18" run-flat winter tires. I would sell the 20's.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 06:17 PM   #10
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That's something else I'm thinking off too. Once the 18" winter tires wear out, I might ditch the 19s and get an all weather tire on the 18s and call it a day.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 07:39 PM   #11
bleuboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x2 M35i bmw e88

Dynamic Damper Control

I bought a '19 M35i with DDC and the ride is amazing. I live in Michigan with winter beaten roads and drive in Chicago avoiding potholes- I was unable to avoid one and the car ate it up. With the three settings- eco to sport I found sport too stiff in the city but I have to defend the ride in general and Im pleased I found one with the DDC option.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 03:03 AM   #12
AlistairMcKerr
Rep

Thanks for all the replies. I’m inclined to sell the 20s and replace them with 19s on higher profile tyres but I think I’ll ask the dealer to check the dampers first. Any idea how I confirm if the 19s will fit over the large m-sport discs?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 04:08 AM   #13
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
certain 18s will fit over the M sport front brakes.

I know my 17" spare will not fit. My factory 19s fit, obviously.
My aftermarket 18s with the snow tires fit.
barely
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 07:49 PM   #14
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Right - not all 19" wheels will fit, but the ones matched to the X2 M35i definitely yes. It's all about those front calipers.

In my 2020 I have factory 19's, the optional Dynamic Dampers, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S go-flats, and I love the ride. I coded the car to go into Sport chassis mode by default, and hardly ever hit the button to go out to Comfort.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 10:46 AM   #15
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

To be clear on that.. there's diameter, then there's offset, and last case there's center bore.

Diameter wise all 19's will fit... however, the offset is how close the spokes/tires are to the hub. If you go too close the spokes will hit. The center bore is the circle in the wheel, if it's too small it won't fit over our hub. In general almost all aftermarket wheels are meant to be larger, and then you buy hubcentric rings to size it out. All of these should be addressed by any tire/wheel reseller that's even half decent. Don't go around on facebook marketplace hoping someone is going to help you, you need to get all that info and compare it to what you're looking for. I've had people that thought any wheel would fit any car.. I asked them what car it's going on, and I immediately told them they won't fit unless you had some special plans or modification.

Not all BMW wheels will fit BMW's.. they changed bolt pattern in 2016 with the X1 year, and most current models match, but this is where you'd get in trouble if you made that assumption that all BMW's are equal.
Appreciate 0