BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2020 X1 28i F48 LCI Tail Lights Conversion to Euro Specs

12-10-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
GNOV
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

2020 X1 28i F48 LCI Tail Lights Conversion to Euro Specs

Anyone having done the conversion of the X1 LCI tail ligts from USA specs to Euro specs (amber turn signal, brake ligt not blinking with turn indicator, amber hazard lights)?
What would be the steps in addition to or preceding coding?
I am trying to prepare for that project on my X1. Any insight, experience would be greatly appreciated.
I believe I already found out that although the LCI Euro specs tail lights look as appearance identical to the USA version, I still have to buy from Europe the 4 pieces with Euro specs (parts numbers 63217477713, 63217477714, 63217477717, 63217477718) and install them on the car, replacing my current ones.
Any suggestion for a good installer and or pro coder in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

If you buy the retrofit kit it's gonna cost less than buying all 4 separate parts.
I've seen them for around 5 to 6 hundred euros.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
GNOV
United_States
Rep

Thank you very much for this suggestion. Could you explain what exactly the retrofit kit is and how to find it? Most auto part shops in Europe do not ship to the USA.

Last edited by GNOV; 12-10-2021 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #4
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNOV View Post
Thank you very much for this suggestion. Could you explain what exactly the retrofit kit is and how to find it? Most auto part shops in Europe do not ship to the USA.
This is what you're looking for:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_5090

Search for the right kit (it changes slightly if you have halogens or leds already) on Google and you should find a few dealers.

This should be the part number: 63132473550
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #5
GNOV
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djadam View Post
This is what you're looking for:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_5090

Search for the right kit (it changes slightly if you have halogens or leds already) on Google and you should find a few dealers.

This should be the part number: 63132473550
Thank you, that is very nice.
I indeed was able to find a few dealers on Google by typing 63132473550.
My car has leds. It was found that what would correspond to my 2020 X1 F48 28i in terms of Euro tail lights would be X1 F48 20i or 25iX and if purchased separately (I was not even aware the lights exists also as a retrofit kit) the parts should start with 63217477713, etc.
You wrote that I should look for the right part and if I have led (which I do), they may differ slightly.
Excuse my ignorance but can I still use what you referred - 63132473550 to buy/order or it will be a different part number?

Last edited by GNOV; 12-10-2021 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 08:30 PM   #6
GNOV
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car has leds. It was found that what would correspond to my 2020 X1 F48 28i in terms of Euro tail lights would be X1 F48 20i or 25iX and if purchased separately (I was not even aware the lights exists also as a retrofit kit) the parts should start with 63217477713, etc.
You wrote that I should look for the right part and if I have led (which I do), they may differ slightly.
Excuse my ignorance but can I still use what you referred - 63132473550 to buy/order or it will be a different part number?
Update on my search: It appears the is comprised of exactly the 4 parts numbers that I cited in the beginning: https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/parts/i...50/63132473550

That means I should be able to buy the 63132473550 as a kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 04:01 AM   #7
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Update on my search: It appears the is comprised of exactly the 4 parts numbers that I cited in the beginning: https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/parts/i...50/63132473550

That means I should be able to buy the 63132473550 as a kit.
Yes that is the part number you want.
The difference is the extras as if you had halogens you need more connectors.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
GNOV
United_States
Rep

Extras/accessories/connections

Quote:
Yes that is the part number you want.
The difference is the extras as if you had halogens you need more connectors.
Thank you!
I would likely need the accessories/extras from the second half of the page that you initially attached, namely the "S5A4A=Yes" version of the list with the extras as my car has the option "05A4", if I am correct in this assumption. That would mean that I would need to provide the dealer with the other numbers as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 08:30 PM   #9
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep

You need two new connectors as the new ones are different, the other numbers are grommets and pins, I don't know if they are already included in the kit or not unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
GNOV3.00
      12-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #10
GNOV
United_States
Rep

Thank you! One of the stores that I contacted said that the kit number only includes the lights, therefore I will have to order the other things too, they should not be expensive, to have them just in case.
Will see how all this will play out next week, the contacts and communication with these dealers (mainly in Germany) is not easy and some of them are reluctant to ship to countries outside the EU, others do no ship outside of Europe at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 12:10 AM   #11
BFetter
Rep

The grommets and pins do not come in the kit. Here is a link that may help you out some more on the parts and install. Hope this helps.
Stock Tail Lights to LCI https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1677186
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #12
GNOV
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFetter View Post
The grommets and pins do not come in the kit. Here is a link that may help you out some more on the parts and install. Hope this helps.
Stock Tail Lights to LCI https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1677186
Thanks very much! Yes, this is very informative and helpful!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 03:27 PM   #13
GNOV
United_States
Rep

LCI Tail lights X1 F48 USA specs to Euro (ECE) specs

I know likely not many people have done this conversion from American to European specs on the tail lights of the X1, moreover on the LCI/LED version but it would be great to find some detailed instructions on the installation itself, before the coding, as most likely there are differences between the USA specs wiring and connections and the Euro version. I am assuming that the simple swapping/upgrading of halogen lights with LCI/LED on an Euro specs car would be less complicated compared to the replacement of LCI/LED tail lights of an USA specs car with the same LCI/LED tail lights but Euro version. Namely detaching the brake light from the turning signal, the yellow/amber turning signal, the amber parking light, the rear fog lights. I ordered the kit and the connectors/grommets at store in Germany that ships to the states. It will take a while to get those here in Texas, fingers crossed this would go smoothly.
I need to thank djadam for the very useful suggestions and informative guidance how to find the right kit as I was lost in that! Thanks to BFetter as well for the helpful suggestions!

Last edited by GNOV; 12-13-2021 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 05:54 AM   #14
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep

What year is your X1?

If it's already an LCI then you don't need the new connectors/pins etc., you can just switch the old lights with the new ones, then the hard part (unfortunately) will be coding them correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:35 AM   #15
GNOV
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What year is your X1?

If it's already an LCI then you don't need the new connectors/pins etc., you can just switch the old lights with the new ones, then the hard part (unfortunately) will be coding them correctly.
Thank you for your post! As I indicated in the beginning, this X1 has the LCI tail lights already as it is 2020 model, however they are USA specs.

I already ordered the retrofit kit as you advised which will apparently be Euro specs. I did order the connectors and stuff which you said I did not need. Since I was not sure, I ordered these too. Will have them just in case, for example something from those breaks when mounting.

I was told by several people that although my original lights are LCI already, replacing them with the Euro version would not be just simple switching since there might be differences in the wiring itself. Do you think that it would be as simple as just repeating the same connections? Remember, I am sure you are aware, that in the US version the break light blinks along with the turning signal and the turning signal itself blinks red. The break ligh has to be separated from the turning signal.

As for the coding after mounting, yes, I know it will be a challenge.

If I can spare taking the car to a private shop for the mounting, meaning if I can do it myself, that would be great since after that I could ask a professional coder to connect remotely and help with the coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #16
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep

If any wiring needs to be adjusted I'm sure it's just a case of remove and inserting a pin again, I'm pretty sure there's no difference in the actual connectors.

I would be inclined to think it's all to do with coding though, rather that wiring.

There should be pictures in one of the threads where people upgraded to LCI tail lights of both EU and USA versions. I will post the link once I find it.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #17
GNOV
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If any wiring needs to be adjusted I'm sure it's just a case of remove and inserting a pin again, I'm pretty sure there's no difference in the actual connectors.

I would be inclined to think it's all to do with coding though, rather that wiring.

There should be pictures in one of the threads where people upgraded to LCI tail lights of both EU and USA versions. I will post the link once I find it.

Thanks.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 02:37 AM   #18
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep

@GNOV have you checked this thread? https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1677186&page=4

There's some pictures but it's not the exact one I was looking for. A side by side of US vs EU connectors would be ideal, just to confirm any changes in the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #19
GNOV
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@GNOV have you checked this thread? https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1677186&page=4

There's some pictures but it's not the exact one I was looking for. A side by side of US vs EU connectors would be ideal, just to confirm any changes in the wiring.
@djadam, thank you! Yes, I think I've seen that thread with those pictures. They are helpful as a reference but as you said, a side by side US vs EU connectors comparison would be more helpful. Thank you again.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 11:10 AM   #20
JBelbute
Portugal
Rep

All this is really great information and I am about to order the retrofit kit. Can anyone on this thread say that they have been successful getting past the EU inspections- Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 09:36 AM   #21
GNOV
United_States
Rep

All this is really great information and I am about to order the retrofit kit. Can anyone on this thread say that they have been successful getting past the EU inspections- Thanks

From what you wrote I am unsure whether or not you are intending to convert the tail lights of a USA model X1 to European standards because you moved the vehicle to Europe or purchased there a used X1 from the North American market and you need to comply with European laws mandating amber turn signals and prohibiting a blinking along with the turn signal break light.

Whatever your reasons are, I can share my experience since my last posts in this thread. I hope the information can be useful for people intending to do what I did, be it because they want world standard tail lights or because they relocate with their X1 outside of the USA and Canada.

I am a USA based driver with a 2020 X1 28i F48 which is the model and version for the market in North America.

My project of converting/retrofitting the tail lights of my vehicle to European type tail lights was successfully finalized just quite recently. It took me nearly a year.

As indicated in the previous posts of this thread, I managed to purchase the European tail lights kit online from a store in Germany. The kit was shipped to me. Then I spent months in searches how and who can do the physical installation of the European kit and then the required programming/coding.

I have come across threads and posts here of people describing their struggling in Germany to convert the tail lights of their USA specs BMW vehicles (other than the X1 models) to European specs.

Here, in the States, the picture is maybe even worse - just a bunch of people who can do this and shops that will be willing.

It is turning out that the North American X1 28i is significantly different from the X1 variants in Europe when it comes to the tail lights physical wiring set up. The main problem is the need to separate the blinking break light from the turn signal.

You can't just swap the USA specs tail lights with the European specs tail lights kit. It is very far from just "plug and play". Extensive modifications in tail lights wiring is needed, additional wires with new connections between contollers. This certainly can't be done at home, unless you are a professional mechanic with auto electrical BMW expertise.

I was lucky to find Mike with BPM Sport https://www.bpmsport.com/. Mike is most likely the best BMW programming/coding professional in the USA and without exaggeration one the few best of the best in the world. Excellent customer service, a genial super expert knowledge of programming. He really is a magician in what he creates which is a pure combination between science and art craft. He referred me to a unique local shop https://mporiumbmw.com/ for the physical installation and wiring modifications. The intricate coding/programming obviously took a great amount of efforts. I don't believe anyone else apart from Mike would have been able to do it. In real time collaboration Mike and Mporium did a stellar job, crowned with success - I finally have European tail lights functioning properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 03:57 AM   #22
piteerus
Poland
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:

From what you wrote I am unsure whether or not you are intending to convert the tail lights of a USA model X1 to European standards because you moved the vehicle to Europe or purchased there a used X1 from the North American market and you need to comply with European laws mandating amber turn signals and prohibiting a blinking along with the turn signal break light.

Whatever your reasons are, I can share my experience since my last posts in this thread. I hope the information can be useful for people intending to do what I did, be it because they want world standard tail lights or because they relocate with their X1 outside of the USA and Canada.

I am a USA based driver with a 2020 X1 28i F48 which is the model and version for the market in North America.

My project of converting/retrofitting the tail lights of my vehicle to European type tail lights was successfully finalized just quite recently. It took me nearly a year.

As indicated in the previous posts of this thread, I managed to purchase the European tail lights kit online from a store in Germany. The kit was shipped to me. Then I spent months in searches how and who can do the physical installation of the European kit and then the required programming/coding.

I have come across threads and posts here of people describing their struggling in Germany to convert the tail lights of their USA specs BMW vehicles (other than the X1 models) to European specs.

Here, in the States, the picture is maybe even worse - just a bunch of people who can do this and shops that will be willing.

It is turning out that the North American X1 28i is significantly different from the X1 variants in Europe when it comes to the tail lights physical wiring set up. The main problem is the need to separate the blinking break light from the turn signal.

You can't just swap the USA specs tail lights with the European specs tail lights kit. It is very far from just "plug and play". Extensive modifications in tail lights wiring is needed, additional wires with new connections between contollers. This certainly can't be done at home, unless you are a professional mechanic with auto electrical BMW expertise.

I was lucky to find Mike with BPM Sport https://www.bpmsport.com/. Mike is most likely the best BMW programming/coding professional in the USA and without exaggeration one the few best of the best in the world. Excellent customer service, a genial super expert knowledge of programming. He really is a magician in what he creates which is a pure combination between science and art craft. He referred me to a unique local shop https://mporiumbmw.com/ for the physical installation and wiring modifications. The intricate coding/programming obviously took a great amount of efforts. I don't believe anyone else apart from Mike would have been able to do it. In real time collaboration Mike and Mporium did a stellar job, crowned with success - I finally have European tail lights functioning properly.
If you done it could you share photos of your connector/wireing? I'm trying to do the same. I already splited paths inside the tail light. All I need is to info to which sockets insert new wires from BDC controller?
Appreciate 0