BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) An EV with the X1's spirit? Mustang Mach-E?

01-13-2023, 11:51 AM   #1
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Question An EV with the X1's spirit? Mustang Mach-E?

Hi guys and gals,

I love the X1 F48 is my favorite small SUV, as it's equally fun to drive and practical. However, having owned a Tesla Model 3 for a few years, I've really come to like the quiet, smooth and responsive EV driving experience.

This Christmas I got to drive my in-laws' new Mustang Mach-E. It dawned on me that the Mach-E melds the X1's great traits with the things like about EVs.

The X1 and Mach-E are both:
* Sporty
* Drives likes a car/wagon but hauls like an SUV
* Great handling dynamics
* Small on the outside, big on the inside
* Good build quality
* Good looking

If anything though, the Mach-E is a bit more fun because it lets me have little moments of oversteer.

Have any of you driven the Mach-E, too? What did you think?

(I wrote up a ton of thoughts on the Mach-E here.)

Best,
Mike

02-10-2023, 05:21 PM   #2
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

Very entertaining read. Comparing a Model 3 to a Cayman was a stretch to make your point.. ha.
Very nice, professional writing.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 11:34 AM   #3
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

There are several class actions lawsuits regarding the Mustang E. The most surprising is the one started by actual owners. A friend of mine recently did a road trip from Fort Lauderdale to Nashville. He vowed to never do this again. The level of anxiety brought on by the fact that they had difficulty finding charging stations and also that the trip took almost 3 hours than it would've with either a hybrid or ICE vehicle convinced him that he would no longer go on this type of trip again with his Tesla model 3 performance. The problems with the charging stations: vandalized, broken, removed and full plus the time to charge them. At one point they actually stopped at a gas station and asked the owner if they could plug in their charger. The owner was kind and let them do this without asking for money as a kind gesture. In Cape Coral after the huge hurricane that left most of the city without electricity for days there were people with EVs getting lifts to the gas stations with their friends and neighbors in order to fill their jerry cans with gas to fill up their electric generators to charge their EV's. How ironic is that. Then a few days later after the storm many of these EVs starting exploding; the very highly corrosive rain water that in some cases battered EVs for hours and in some cases flooded the bottom of the cars where the batteries were located without damaging the interiors had damaged the batteries. This mixture of salt water with the batteries caused the EV batteries to explode without warning. There's a field in Fort Myers full of EVs on concrete blocks spaced apart from each other so that if they explode they don't cause a chain reaction of exploding EV batteries. If you want to save money by driving a vehicle that badly, buy some of the smallest ICE cars out there and they're actually proven to have cheaper ownership (even in the long term).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 02:35 PM   #4
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

One of the reasons I bought a used X1 is to increase my overall efficiency. I can assure you my used X1 will last many years and cost less in all areas compared to an ev.. which is why I bought it... For my situation anyway. For around town and short trips... And having new tech risk tolerance.. and ignoring all the indirect environmental impact and cost to taxpayers, it makes a lot of sense to own an ev.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 06:44 PM   #5
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorbitman View Post
There are several class actions lawsuits regarding the Mustang E. The most surprising is the one started by actual owners. A friend of mine recently did a road trip from Fort Lauderdale to Nashville. He vowed to never do this again. .....
That's the south for you
Appreciate 0