BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Ride is now harsh and jarring

09-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #1
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

Ride is now harsh and jarring

We have had our 2016 X1 since December and my wife and kids really enjoy driving it. We have had few problems so far, but a few weeks ago, they started feeling that the ride felt harsher and more jarring compared to what it was like a few months ago.

Over the last few days, our local BMW dealer lent us a 2019 X1 as our car was having its rear bumper repainted, and the ride was so much more compliant and comfortable than our X1.

When we got our car back, we noticed just how uncomfortable the ride was and we think that maybe something is wrong. We tried driving the car in Sport mode but it did not make the ride any more tight, so maybe the suspension is caught in Sport mode?

As well, our X1 has 19" BMW factory wheels with Toyo Proxes S4 Plus tires and we even tried reducing the air pressure slightly but it made no difference. Is it possible these tires ride harder than other tires?

If anyone has experienced this or has some ideas of what is going on, I would really appreciate any advice or help.

Thanks

Last edited by MichaelInChicago; 09-18-2019 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #2
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Sport mode shouldn't affect ride firmness unless you have the adaptive suspension option. If the ride was ok at first and got worse after, I would suggest taking the car to the dealer for suspension/axles inspection, something might be broken. Or maybe the tires need balancing.

I would also suggest going for 18" wheels, that should improve ride quality substantially.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
miss
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
We have had our 2016 X1 since December and my wife and kids really enjoy driving it. We have had few problems so far, but a few weeks ago, they started feeling that the ride felt harsher and more jarring compared to what it was like a few months ago.

Over the last few days, our local BMW dealer lent us a 2019 X1 as our car was having its rear bumper repainted, and the ride was so much more compliant and comfortable than our X1.

When we got our car back, we noticed just how uncomfortable the ride was and we think that maybe something is wrong. We tried driving the car in Sport mode but it did not make the ride any more tight, so maybe the suspension is caught in Sport mode?

As well, our X1 has 19" BMW factory wheels with Toyo Proxes S4 Plus tires and we even tried reducing the air pressure slightly but it made no difference. Is it possible these tires ride harder than other tires?

If anyone has experienced this or has some ideas of what is going on, I would really appreciate any advice or help.

Thanks
The same thing happened to me after visiting the dealership, they updated the software of the vehicle and the suspension has changed now it is soft and when putting the sport mode it does not become a little harder, as before
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep

miss, was the drive on your X1 comfortable and compliant then one day it became unusually hard and jarring?

I just spoke to the dealer and I have an appointment for Monday morning. Hopefully, it is simply a software update.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Struts need changed?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

Do you have 'M Sport Suspension' on your X1 which can be leading to the harsher ride?
      09-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTron View Post
Do you have 'M Sport Suspension' on your X1 which can be leading to the harsher ride?
I think you're correct. The OP's X1 must have the sport suspension and the loaner X1 had regular one. I would be absolutely stunned if BMW (or any car company) could change the suspension with only a software update.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Do you have the 'adaptive suspension' option?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:15 AM   #9
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just checked the options sheet and the car does have the M Sport Suspension.

As well, even when I change between ECO/Comfort/Sport modes, there is no significant difference in the ride between them. The ride is always stiff.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:18 AM   #10
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
M sport is not necessarily ddc, it would say that. M sport is just harsher ride, better handling.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #11
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

I don't think the X1 has ever been available with the adaptive suspension option in North America, so the answer probably lies elsewhere. I'd certainly expect an M-sport with 19" wheels to ride noticeably harsher than one with the standard suspension and 18" wheels like their loaner vehicle likely had, but it shouldn't suddenly develop a much worse ride than it had before. The first thing I'd check would be the tires - wear level (since worn-out tires can affect the ride) and are the pressures all at the recommended spec and not overinflated.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Michael sorry to hear of your problems. perhaps my story will help.

I fancied a new BMW X2 in the UK but was put off by the reported promise of a firm ride on run flats and 18 or 19 wheels. I took the plunge but opted for base spec with 17 inch wheels and as it turned out Continental Premium Contact 2s non run flat.

The car rides like a dream albeit it bounces a bit on corners which the top spec Msport wouldnt. The tyres are 225/55 as well so the side wall is softer than run flats and almost 5 inches of protection on the 55% height. This obviously softens the ride. This may not help you at all but if you could heighten the sidewall and get rid of the stiff run flats it should help the ride .
Appreciate 0