BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW App

08-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

BMW App

My iPhone is only a couple of year’s old. It has had a new battery but a charge is only lasting half a day. Trying to find which Apps are running constantly I am horrified to see the BMW App is the culprit. It’s a useful App, but what can be done to reduce its devouring my battery charge?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Could you not charge the phone in the car while using the app?
      08-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
My iPhone is only a couple of year’s old. It has had a new battery but a charge is only lasting half a day. Trying to find which Apps are running constantly I am horrified to see the BMW App is the culprit. It’s a useful App, but what can be done to reduce its devouring my battery charge?
You could, I think, disable the BMW App, after you’ve used it, by double clicking on the home (circular) button at the bottom centre of you iPhone. That should show you which Apps you have open then, when you get to the BMW Connected App, swipe it up off the screen and that will shut the App down. Alternatively, you could also go into Settings/Privacy/Location Services/Connected and, if ‘Connected’ is showing as ‘Always’, try changing that to ‘Whilst using the App’ and that may help because it should reduce the drain on the battery.
I’m sure someone else may have an alternative, or better suggestion though!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '93 'Beemer' R100r, '17 X1(S)

Let me add this one to the other good suggestions:
Turn off Background App Refresh: Background App Refresh allows your apps to check for new content and update even when you’re not using them. This is intended to save you loading time when opening up apps as the latest information should be ready and waiting since it refreshed in the background. However, allowing all your open apps to continually update and refresh in the background is a sure-fire way to drain your iPhone battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Have done as Oakey46 suggested. Still now charging my battery for 3rd time today. I will also try Ridin’Dirty’s suggestion, but the money is on moving to another smart phone. My wife has a Galaxy 9 and hers lasts all day. And she is constantly WhatsApping the children and friends. And I can get one of those for a lot less than the new IPhone.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Have done as Oakey46 suggested. Still now charging my battery for 3rd time today. I will also try Ridin’Dirty’s suggestion, but the money is on moving to another smart phone. My wife has a Galaxy 9 and hers lasts all day. And she is constantly WhatsApping the children and friends. And I can get one of those for a lot less than the new IPhone.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
pandauk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Turn off background app refresh like Ridin Dirty suggests, should stop all of the data use while you aren't using it.

Though that said, battery in these phones is crap after about 2 years usage - Samsungs et all are just as bad as iPhones. Unfortunately, these batteries all lose charge over time, especially as they're constantly charged/uncharged. Getting a new phone will solve the problem a little bit as capacities increase, but over time that battery will degrade too.

Cheaper option may be to just replace your battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:43 PM   #8
AUS_Tin_Pusher
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i

Interesting discussion.

I have an iPhone 6s 3 years old now and the battery still lasts for well over a day. I have had all the above suggested things set since new.

If it is a new battery and requiring charging 3 times per day that suggests something is wrong somewhere, possibly the charger.

Google "iphone not holding charge" with your model number.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 02:29 AM   #9
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Not sure which version of iPhone you have, but it might be worth looking to see what is showing for your battery health. I know it is available on iPhones 7 and later models, but not sure about earlier iPhones. Go into Settings and scroll down to Battery and look for Battery Health which, when you touch that, should show Maximum Capacity at 100%. If you have a new battery I wouldn’t expect it to be anything less. Was the battery fitted in an Apple store, or by an authorised Apple service centre. If not, can you be sure it’s a genuine Apple battery? There’s also a useful link at the top of the Battery Health screen and it’s probably worth having a look at that for the various tips it gives.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #10
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

In the "Settings" menu of the BMW Connected app (click the "More" option in the bottom-right, then "Settings") there is an option to reduce the battery consumption by reducing the frequency of location updates. I've got mine set to "Lower" and I don't seem to have any problems with high battery usage from the app on my iPhone 8. Might be worth checking the setting in your app?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi guys. Done as all have suggested. However my iPhone 6 does not offer the option in the BMW App setting of going for lower battery use. It is a general one which I have set. Within the App I have turned almost everything off! Still today, despite this the App has been working for 1h 45m on the last charge alone.
Bit of research here in Brittany (holiday) suggests that the battery is possibly u/s but also that iPhone 6 and the new iPhone X has much smaller battery capacity than the new Samsung Huawai or even the new BlackBerry Key2.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:08 AM   #12
AUS_Tin_Pusher
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i

Quote:
However my iPhone 6 does not offer the option in the BMW App setting of going for lower battery use.
Interesting; my iPhone 6s with the latest versions of the IOS and BMW app do give that option.

I do have the Location field set to only when the app is active, as I do for almost all of the apps.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #13
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

For info, the latest version of the BMW Connected App in the App Store is 10.1.5. Whilst the App generally seems to attract quite poor reviews, I haven’t had any issues with it on my iPhone 7 or my current iPhone XR. Incidentally, so far as battery life is concerned, I understand the XR has a higher capacity battery than those in the XS. What does bug me though is that the Connected+ upgrade that was installed in the car when I took delivery 3/2018 expired a couple of weeks ago and BMW want £25 for 12 months renewal. Why isn’t the Connected+ set to expire after 3 years as per the other built in Apps such as Map Updates etc? No mention of that when I collected the car!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #14
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Have just ordered a new I phone 7 plus as it has a bigger battery. Will reactivate the App and see how we go.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:20 AM   #15
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

speaking of the BMW App, apparently (pardon the pun), in Australia remote engine and remote heater/AC starting is disabled.

Does anyone know if in US or UK, the X1/X2 can be remote started using the app?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:44 AM   #16
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
For info, the latest version of the BMW Connected App in the App Store is 10.1.5. Whilst the App generally seems to attract quite poor reviews, I haven’t had any issues with it on my iPhone 7 or my current iPhone XR. Incidentally, so far as battery life is concerned, I understand the XR has a higher capacity battery than those in the XS. What does bug me though is that the Connected+ upgrade that was installed in the car when I took delivery 3/2018 expired a couple of weeks ago and BMW want £25 for 12 months renewal. Why isn’t the Connected+ set to expire after 3 years as per the other built in Apps such as Map Updates etc? No mention of that when I collected the car!
This puzzles me , as we had the same message from BMW when our X1 came to 12 month old back in March. I only use the app for --sending destinations to car and checking mileage and fuel level. I did not pay the £25 and still use it in the same way , absolutly no change. So I wonder what I would have got for the £25
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:23 AM   #17
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh29 View Post
This puzzles me , as we had the same message from BMW when our X1 came to 12 month old back in March. I only use the app for --sending destinations to car and checking mileage and fuel level. I did not pay the £25 and still use it in the same way , absolutly no change. So I wonder what I would have got for the £25
Yes, my thought exactly, although I see it says on the BMW store:
‘ Benefits at a glance:
Send my Routes to Car: Route planning from the smartphone is now simpler than ever.
„Share Live Trip Status (iOS only): “When will you get there?” - this question is a thing of the past with the new function.“
Navigate Door-to-Door: Navigating down to the last few meters to the destination (Last Mile) and then back from there later to the vehicle (First Mile).
My Destinations: Quick access to the contents of your address book from all linked in end-user devices.‘

I’m not sure about the ‘Last Mile’ thing, unless I’ve forgotten where I left my car, but I think it’s £25 I can do without spending for no real apparent benefit. Also, I use Find Friends on my iPhone and my family can invariably see where I am from that app.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:37 AM   #18
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
Have just ordered a new I phone 7 plus as it has a bigger battery. Will reactivate the App and see how we go.
To look for Battery Settings on the BMW Connected app open the app on your phone, click on the ‘more’ tab in the lower right corner and then go on to ‘Settings’ where the option is shown for Standard or Lower battery use.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #19
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
To look for Battery Settings on the BMW Connected app open the app on your phone, click on the ‘more’ tab in the lower right corner and then go on to ‘Settings’ where the option is shown for Standard or Lower battery use.
Thanks for the advice. Have been out of the country for 2 weeks but will do this when my brain is fresh and there’s no interruption from grandchildren temporarily staying with us.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:41 AM   #20
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Are you guys using BMW Connected Classic or some other app?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #21
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi555 View Post
Are you guys using BMW Connected Classic or some other app?
Not heard of that, so perhaps it depends on which version you have (in the UK, I currently have BMW Connected, version 10.3.2.1581)
Appreciate 0