BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Folding rear backrest sticking?

07-27-2018, 06:37 AM   #1
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 M Sport 30e

Folding rear backrest sticking?

Hi,

I have a 2018 X1 with the electronic fold rear backrest. However when I pull the button to fold the right hand 40 section (looking into the boot) it does not fold and has to be manually pushed down. The motor (or whatever it is) does make a noise as if it should activate.

If I firstly fold the 40:20 section on the left side (which does fold correctly on pull of the button then the right 40 section does fold on pull of the button.

So I'm not sure if it is set up that the 40:20 section has to be folded first or that there is something wrong/sticking with the mechanism.

Any suggestions folks?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
martinx1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 x line 2.0 Petrol 2018

I also have a 2018 x1 with exactly the same problem as yours, I have not taken the car back to the dealers because have not had the time, and the fact i do the same as you (lower seats from left to right) i think some how the small seat must rub on the centre seat.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinx1 View Post
I also have a 2018 x1 with exactly the same problem as yours, I have not taken the car back to the dealers because have not had the time, and the fact i do the same as you (lower seats from left to right) i think some how the small seat must rub on the centre seat.
Glad to see it's not just me. It's a pity there's no reference to the seat operation in the handbook and indeed mine refers only to a 60:40 split so I'm assuming now the seat split/operation is market specific.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

I always fold the right hand side, just habit & both sides work every time for me.

Right goes down then the entire section first for the left side then far left.

Try that to see if it works. Otherwise, guess dealer visit is in order.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #5
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Just tried it again but firstly slid the seat base forward and it worked. So definitely the problem is the size of the seat back rubbing up against the side of the middle section. I had hoped the sides would also be leather and that perhaps a bit of polish would do the trick but unfortunately one side is material.

Looks as you say a trip to the dealer to get seat adjusted.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

For what it may be worth, mine started to stick, but on the left side and with a few seat back ups and downs it seems to be operating, via the release buttons, as it should.
I do, however, have a different issue, this with the hatchback door, from where there is a fairly light but, once it starts, persistent and annoying rattle that seems to be from the lower area of the door. I have noticed that sometimes when I close the hatch it makes a fairly 'tinny' noise on closure. The rattle can be heard either immediately on moving off from standstill, or it can start when I've driven a few miles. I have tried emptying the boot/trunk, including moving the emergency warning triangle from its holder, but to no avail. My wife sat in the rear seat and she thought the sound came from the lower area at the back, possibly near to the closing point. Tap the rear light units and they also ratttle/vibrate. Overall, I'm not impressed by the quality of the hatchback, especially as the spoiler also sees to be constructed from rather flimsy plastic and, if you touch it, you can feel how thin it is. Similar to the lights, it also rattles if tapped. Not what I'd have expected from a 'premium' vehicle.
So it looks as though I'll be off to see the dealer - 60 mile round trip!

Last edited by oakey46; 07-27-2018 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
For what it may be worth, mine started to stick, but on the left side and with a few seat back ups and downs it seems to be operating, via the release buttons, as it should.
I do, however, have a different issue, this with the hatchback door, from where there is a fairly light but, once it starts, persistent and annoying rattle that seems to be from the lower area of the door
Thankfully I haven’t experienced the rattling yet. However I will try putting the seat back up and down a few times to hopefully loosen it up. Here’s hoping.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #8
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
There's a service bulletin #SI B52 02 18 regarding the rear seats not folding down due to the backrests are closely spaced and rub against each other. The backrest need to be adjusted.

Last edited by mikeyb74; 07-28-2018 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
There's a service bulletin #SI B52 02 18 regarding the rear seats not folding down due to the backrests are closely spaced and rub against each other. The backrest need to be adjusted.
That's great at least it appears to be a known issue and I assume fixable.

Not a critical issue so I'll raise it with the dealer next time I'm passing.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 01:23 AM   #10
Damienf45
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
Hi, I know this is a bit old but does anyone have a copy of this service bulletin?
I can’t find it anywhere.
Regards
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #11
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

The remedy I've used to fix this, but only on leather seats, is to apply some leather cleaner/balm to the sides of the rear set backrest with a soft clean cloth. I have TurtleWax leather cleaner (from the principal UK motorists store chain), which seems to work,as well as generally keeping the light beige leather clean and in good condition. The only caution is to be careful not to apply where the backrest sides are of fabric (centre armrest + other parts). I have also applied sparingly to the black plastic trim against which the outer sides come into contact.
Seat backs now drop immediately from either side, just as they should, so I hope that’s a lasting remedy - we’ll see!

Last edited by oakey46; 09-21-2019 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #12
Xtra1
Rep
Drives: X1 Xline Xdrive 2.0i Auto

Posted a comment on this some weeks ago (Sticky Seats). Still have the problem but seems intermittent. As you have mentioned, you can hear the relay/solenoid operating but seat stays put. It does seem better if the left hand seats ( facing boot) are operated first but should definitely operate more smoothly than it does. May try the seat polishing fix and will report back if I have any success.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 08:29 AM   #13
Wadadli Cooler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive25d Msport F48

I've just bought a 2017 X1 with this very same problem. The Left and Centre sections fold down fine electronically, but the Right hand seat back will not move, unless operated manually by pulling the tab. The solenoid actuates, and the seat back does move by about 3/8 inch but then stays put. Happens regardless of weather seat is slid forwards or back, or the state of the other seats/centre section.

Update: Just tried rubbing a bit if furniture polish on the sides of the seat backs. This seams to have cured the problem.

Here's a link to the sticking seat bulletin referred to, which suggested altering the seat positions:

https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B52-02-18

Last edited by Wadadli Cooler; 09-29-2021 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0