BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Right exhaust flap mod

04-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #45
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Here are the parts to make the plug to close off the connector on the actuator:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=61138364614

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=12527549033
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #46
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Has anybody else used the Bimmerlink app to do this Mod?
ventjock I see you have, does it stay open all the time or do you need to keep opening/closing via the app?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #47
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePulse64 View Post
ventjock I see you have, does it stay open all the time or do you need to keep opening/closing via the app?
If you are doing it via the app you will have to open it each time the car is shut off. My recommendation is to open it via the app than pull the connector at the actuator on the flap.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #48
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePulse64 View Post
If you are doing it via the app you will have to open it each time the car is shut off. My recommendation is to open it via the app than pull the connector at the actuator on the flap.
Awesome. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #49
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Sorry to revive this old thread. I just bought a 2019 X1 S28i for my wife, and was looking through the forum how to get the flap in the open position. I own another BMW SAV and in my case I just put the car in Sport Plus and the flap opens and stay like that as long sport plus is active.

In the x1 case it doesn't work like that (as mentioned in previous posts). So I turned off the vehicle, got a flat screwdriver and some electrical tape. I went under the rear muffler, and pry open the flap manually with the screwdriver (manipulating the C clamp under the actuator), don't get nervous by applying some force to it, then disconnect the actuator plug, wrap the end with electrical tape, and put it on again (it won't make contact, and the cable would not be loose) and voila! Exhaust flap open under 3 minutes. Let me know if you have any doubts. So far 20 miles and no issues

2011 135i Alpine White DCT N55 All Stock
Built on 10/10 Proud owner since 12/12.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #50
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

I did something similar but also zip-tied the plug in place, since I found after some driving it would work itself loose even though it seemed like it was jammed in there when wrapped with electrical tape.

Haven't noticed any difference except a little louder on a cold start, and, of course, exhaust coming out of both pipes - which just looks better and means I don't have one pipe black with soot and the other weirdly clean.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #51
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRuben09 View Post
Sorry to revive this old thread. I just bought a 2019 X1 S28i for my wife, and was looking through the forum how to get the flap in the open position. I own another BMW SAV and in my case I just put the car in Sport Plus and the flap opens and stay like that as long sport plus is active.

In the x1 case it doesn't work like that (as mentioned in previous posts). So I turned off the vehicle, got a flat screwdriver and some electrical tape. I went under the rear muffler, and pry open the flap manually with the screwdriver (manipulating the C clamp under the actuator), don't get nervous by applying some force to it, then disconnect the actuator plug, wrap the end with electrical tape, and put it on again (it won't make contact, and the cable would not be loose) and voila! Exhaust flap open under 3 minutes. Let me know if you have any doubts. So far 20 miles and no issues
After you pried the flap open, did you try reconnecting it to see if it works properly? Does it hold whatever position it's open to?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:16 AM   #52
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
Quote:

After you pried the flap open, did you try reconnecting it to see if it works properly? Does it hold whatever position it's open to?
If you connect it back, it will reset and go to the default position.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #53
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are you speculating or did you actually try it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #54
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you speculating or did you actually try it yourself?
Yes. Once plugged back in, it will close the flap.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #55
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes. Once plugged back in, it will close the flap.
Thank you for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #56
dvno
Curbs are dumb
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 X3 M40i

Quote:

This was perfect thanks! Took me about 10 minutes after thinking I was gonna break something!

Worked like a champ and cold start is slightly more "masculine". Haven't driven it yet, though!
      09-25-2019, 05:04 AM   #57
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvno View Post
Quote:

This was perfect thanks! Took me about 10 minutes after thinking I was gonna break something!

Worked like a champ and cold start is slightly more "masculine". Haven't driven it yet, though!
I'm glad it work great for you. The sound difference alone is totally worth it, specially on low rpms. You'll see the difference.

I got nervous too when applying some force, it gets a bit tight due to the actuator.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #58
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvno View Post
Quote:

I'm glad it work great for you. The sound difference alone is totally worth it, specially on low rpms. You'll see the difference.

I got nervous too when applying some force, it gets a bit tight due to the actuator.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #59
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I finally got around to installing the dummy plugs. I tried to force open the flap with the actuator mounted on the vehicle, but I ended up removing it and rotating the shaft off the vehicle. I held the actuator in my hand and pried on the shaft with a large flat-blade screwdriver. I applied pressure gradually and noticed there eventually was some play in the shaft, as if a coupling was flexing. I kept prying on and off then it finally gave and rotated approximately 15 degrees. I applied force again and it did the same thing. I repeated that until the shaft was oriented 90 degrees from the original position. Without opening the unit up, it's hard to tell what's going on, but I think the shaft was skipping on a flexible coupling rather than the actuator turning. I doubt this is very good for it, but it's open. When I put the actuator back on the vehicle, it lined up perfectly.

After all that, it unfortunately didn't seem much louder than before at idle. Hopefully it will sound a bit louder when I'm driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #60
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I finally got around to installing the dummy plugs. I tried to force open the flap with the actuator mounted on the vehicle, but I ended up removing it and rotating the shaft off the vehicle. I held the actuator in my hand and pried on the shaft with a large flat-blade screwdriver. I applied pressure gradually and noticed there eventually was some play in the shaft, as if a coupling was flexing. I kept prying on and off then it finally gave and rotated approximately 15 degrees. I applied force again and it did the same thing. I repeated that until the shaft was oriented 90 degrees from the original position. Without opening the unit up, it's hard to tell what's going on, but I think the shaft was skipping on a flexible coupling rather than the actuator turning. I doubt this is very good for it, but it's open. When I put the actuator back on the vehicle, it lined up perfectly.

After all that, it unfortunately didn't seem much louder than before at idle. Hopefully it will sound a bit louder when I'm driving.
It will never be more loud. It will be a more deeper sound on low RPMs.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #61
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It will never be more loud. It will be a more deeper sound on low RPMs.
I drove it today. It is slightly deeper at low RPM, as you describe.
Appreciate 0