BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 AVIN Android Head Unit

09-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #67
mondynet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, X3, X7

Can you post a link where you guys purchase your AVIN head unit? I am also interested in doing this but I'd like to have Carplay.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #68
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 116d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondynet View Post
Can you post a link where you guys purchase your AVIN head unit? I am also interested in doing this but I'd like to have Carplay.

Thanks.
Avin headunit comes from avin website, I have ordred mine from aliexpress as I live in europe(customs taxes may be avoided as some buyers have a europeen warehouse), if you are located in USA I think that it is better to order from avin, no taxes needs to be payed though, the screens are pretty the same thing, all are made in china. Some of the screens comes with car play already embedded and some needs an external dongle, but IMHO everything you need is already in the android screen, no need to use car play to mirror your phone each time you drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #69
mondynet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Hi rafael, thanks for the quick response. I like to use CarPlay so i don't have to fiddle around with the Apps on the unit while driving and just use the iDrive controller. I currently have the small 6.5" screen and have factory back up camera with backup sensors- will everything still work like factory after installing this?

Thanks and I'll check on AVIN's website about ordering. I saw too many options that I didn't know what to order.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 02:36 AM   #70
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hi rafael, thanks for the quick response. I like to use CarPlay so i don't have to fiddle around with the Apps on the unit while driving and just use the iDrive controller. I currently have the small 6.5" screen and have factory back up camera with backup sensors- will everything still work like factory after installing this?

Thanks and I'll check on AVIN's website about ordering. I saw too many options that I didn't know what to order.
Yes indeed, you will keep all the OEM system like before, and you will have an extra Android system, you will be able to switch between the two systems. You could contact the AVIN support and they will give you the best screen that suits your needs.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #71
link_sy
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelSorel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by link_sy View Post
Hi

Can you share a link to the camera? Does it come with all the cables and everything? I was told there were cheap options just not sure how to make it work? If you could share some external pics too it would be great
The camera comes with everything you need, here is the link to the camera I have ordered:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32888...27146c37Psty5x

Some external picture of before and after installation:
Thanks a lot...looks great

So this can also be added to the standard 6.5 ENTRYNAV2 screen right?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:25 AM   #72
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Hello, the camera was designed to be used for android screen 10.25, the OEM screen will not display the camera output, if you want to have a backup camera for the 6.5 inch OEM screen , you need to buy an OEM camera for BMW that costs arround 300 bucks and you need to code your car in order to add the support for the OEM camera, wiring is different as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #73
link_sy
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelSorel View Post
Quote:

Hello, the camera was designed to be used for android screen 10.25, the OEM screen will not display the camera output, if you want to have a backup camera for the 6.5 inch OEM screen , you need to buy an OEM camera for BMW that costs arround 300 bucks and you need to code your car in order to add the support for the OEM camera, wiring is different as well.
Thanks. Just wanted to double check
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 03:12 PM   #74
mondynet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks to rafaelSorel.. i finally got my Avin unit installed and working.

I can't imagine going back again to that tiny screen after using the large screen for several weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 12:30 AM   #75
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

can you guys provide more feedback on Avin or any other Android Head Units? I'm planning to buy one.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:20 AM   #76
kjelavic1
Registered
Croatia
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePulse64 View Post
I wanted to provide some additional information for anybody interested in buying one of these head units for their F48.
Before we get started - I didn't take as many photos as I wanted, I apologize.
My setup
-2017 F48 (X1)
-Tech Package with 8.8" ID4 Screen
-iPhone XS Max (for CarPlay)
-Bruised hands (you'll see why later)

First Impressions/Reason
I wanted CarPlay in my BMW especially for Waze and other navigation options. I looked at the bimmertech and retrofit of an NBT Evo unit but ultimately the cost on the NBT unit was going to run close to $2k the bimmertech priced about the same as this screen. Ultimately I decided on the screen since it looked like I'd get more options out of it.
- The box included everything - I opted for the CarPlay adapter and the GPS splitter.
- The color in came in was a dark grey (my trim is black -photos later) I was a bit disappointed with this but it doesn't stand out toooo much.
- The screen is definitely bigger. However, it doesn't seem as bright as the stock screen (which is a bit of a disappointment)
- Overall I give it a 3.5 out of 5 star option. (Check the problem/issues part)

Problems encountered during setup
- My Original head unit barely pulled out from the car and made it extremely difficult (more annoying) to get the cables installed.
- Attempting to put in an SD card [I]after[I] install was not an easy task (I've ended up leaving the back of the door off for right now.

Problems encountered after setup
- Auto PDC caused the screen to freak out and go between the original head unit and the Android unit (I ended up turning Auto PDC off)
- CarPlay seems to work okay when playing music it seems to do a split second skip in audio from time to time - According to AVINs support site they recommend turning off bluetooth (didn't mention on which device). I turned it off in the car, head unit and phone and it still occurred, I've tried different phones and made sure everything was upgraded (No luck)... If anybody has any ideas let me know. I'm also going to reach out to them but we'll see if I get a response.
- No auto brightness -- This is more of a pain than anything, especially at night; if you select an app or the setting menu, you'll be blinded.
Update: I notice the screen does dim a little bit when the headlights come up, its not dynamic like the original screen - I still find myself needing to manually adjust brightness from time to time.
- WiFi Screen Mirror - When I attempt to use this feature it never seems to work I haven't tried it again after the first few minutes of using the head unit -- I was more interested in CarPlay anyway. Update: Still no success in using this, I only get a green bar, the phone acts like its connected but nothing is ever displayed.
- If you're playing a video and then go to CarPlay I've noticed the video may continue to play in the background over the CarPlay audio.
- Unable to use Siri in Apple CarPlay, no voice is picked up
UpdateAccording to AVIN, the Head unit microphone is only for calls -- this is a disappointment -- I'm going to attempt to get a USB Microphone and see if it works.

What you've been waiting for... The install
I'll try and provide the most details I can to try and help anybody willing to do this install.
- Tools you'll need Torx screwdriver, trim tools (You can easily get these from any car part store)
1) Start at from the passenger side vent using your trim tools pull the dash trim away working your way to the other side near the screen (don't pull it completely out on each side, just start pulling it partially out)

2) Work your way down towards the Radio Controls/AC Controls

3) once its loosened up enough - Pull out the plug for the trim lights on the passenger side, then the safety switch/emergency light switch plug (right below the screen) -- You may have to tug on the trim a little bit to get it popped out enough (I thought I was going to break it but I didn't have any casualties.

4) Unplug the Radio Controls - AC Controls and don't forget the small LED light at the bottom of the trim after that it should completely come off -- the entire top trim (with the vents) AND the AC/Radio controls will all come off in one large piece. I just placed it in the rear of the car while I was working.

5) You'll see your main head unit - there is two torx screws on either side of the unit, unscrew those and set them aside (don't lose them).

6) This is where I started having problems, My unit barely pulled out, just enough to get my hand in there (hence the bruises). Hopefully yours can pull all the way out -- if so this should be fairly easy.

7) On the right hand side you'll see a blue connector - This is your GPS plug in the middle you'll see the gator clip (where most of the wires are) there will also be two green wires (one is green with a black wrap) that's plugged into this gator clip.

8) If you got the GPS Splitter (I hope so, its worth it) push the clip out from the stock one, put it in the splitter and reinsert one end back into the head unit.

9) Unplug the gator clip, then unplug the two green wires that are plugged in towards the bottom left of the gator clip. (You must put these back in or you'll get no audio)

10) Plug the original gatorclip into the new harness, then plug the other side into the back of your head unit -- remember those green wires, plus those back in to the head unit (it will plug in to the new harness)

11) Right underneath the screen there are two Torx screws, unscrew those (don't lose the screws ) then pull up on the screen, there are two clips in the back of the screen holding it in place, be careful when pulling as you don't want to damage the connector. Unhook the pink connector in the back and set the screen aside.

12) Time to manage the wires -- Run the new screen harness wire (you'll be able to tell on the new harness) up and out of the hole where the screen and existing plug is (keep the pink plug up there too). Run your GPS wire up there too.

13) If you also get two USB and RCA cables with the head unit, Run your USB cable up to the hole for the screen and optionally do it for the RCA cables (it's a tight fit so if you're not going to use them you may want to leave them out)

14) I ran the USB Cable down the passenger side and into the glovebox -- there is a small opening that goes between the dash and you can pull it thru the passenger side vent. Go into your glove box and pull out the right tab using your trim tool, you can then run the USB plus thru there.

15) Take out your new screen, hook up all the wires (they're only going to hook up one way). If you plan on putting in a memory card DO THIS NOW. Then start pulling the wires down as you move the new screen in place - Also move them further down where the main head unit is going to go (its a tight fit).

16) Before I started putting everything back in its place I went to make sure it all worked, I turned the car on and used the iDrive controller to switch back and forth between the android unit and factory menu - I also tested the audio.

17) from here just reverse everything, tighten the screen back down, slide your main head unit back in and tighten it then pull your trim and hook everything back up.

18) Pat yourself on the back, you're done.

Final Thoughts
I think this can be a good option if you're wanting a bigger screen or more functionality from your stock unit. I rate this a 3.5 out of 5 because it feels like a half completed product (software wise) and can be very glitchy. The screen doesn't look as bright as the original but I think more time with this I'll probably be able to customize it a bit more and enjoy it.

I've attached the photos I did take - hope this helps somebody!
Hi everybody. I am planning on upgrading my 6.5 screen to android 10.25 one. I read your posts and they are quite helpfull. However, i can't quite be sure with the installation. Can it be DIY job, do I need to install navigation splitter or can I use existing one on my x1 2016 Nbt. Do i need usb installation, gsm antena ... And so on. Bare in mind that I am begginer at this so feel free to simplyfi your answers as much as you can. And what type of unit can you reccomen since I am in Europe and import Avin would cost plenty. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      11-24-2019, 05:18 AM   #77
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Android Headunits from Europe

http://exclusivecarauto.com/advanced...38;x=0&y=0

https://polopo.eu/anf148b
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #78
kjelavic1
Registered
Croatia
Rep
Drives: X1

Thank you. Is it a problem to do DIY installation?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #79
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

No quite straightforward if you have some sort of experience
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #80
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjelavic1 View Post
Thank you. Is it a problem to do DIY installation?
I felt it was pretty DIY.. you just need to be patient
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 02:53 PM   #81
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Wireless CarPlay

Just to provide an update to anybody reading/following along on this..
I found a Wireless CarPlay adapter on amazon. It works quite well, the phone will automatically connect to CarPlay without any interaction from me.
On occasion it does seem to lag a little bit when using GPS and Spotify (Ill need to check and see if there are any updates in the software).

Note: the audio skipping still happens, I still assume this is an issue with the AVIN HU and software. I'm curious to know if anybody else who uses the CarPlay adapters experiences this on the AVIN HeadUnit.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:24 AM   #82
mondynet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I am experiencing this too. I use Carplay and Spotify most of the time and music from Spotify is skipping half a sec. Using Carplay with a lightning cable seem to work better however it defeats and purpose of having wireless carplay.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #83
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am experiencing this too. I use Carplay and Spotify most of the time and music from Spotify is skipping half a sec. Using Carplay with a lightning cable seem to work better however it defeats and purpose of having wireless carplay.
Glad I'm not the only one, I have different versions of the firmware for the head unit and need to try some of the newer ones to see if it resolves the issue.

Usually I'll just use Waze or Google Maps and listen to satellite radio or stream from the phone via bluetooth to the original iDrive (You can still use the CarPlay interface to change songs but audio from Waze or Google Maps won't stream over Bluetooth)
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      06-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #84
Movnmik
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just started to install a 1920 Avin unit to my 2017x1. When pulling out my HU I have no slack whatsoever. I see pics where people have the rear of the HU completely exposed..I can barely pull the HU half way. Any tips? Do I have to remove more trim like the central console?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #85
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movnmik View Post
Just started to install a 1920 Avin unit to my 2017x1. When pulling out my HU I have no slack whatsoever. I see pics where people have the rear of the HU completely exposed..I can barely pull the HU half way. Any tips? Do I have to remove more trim like the central console?
I had the same issue with mine. I had to pull it out as far as I could and had to be careful. That’s what took the longest and was the hardest part — had I been able to pull it all the way out it would’ve gone much faster.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #86
Movnmik
Enlisted Member
Rep

I wanted to add some additional information to this thread regarding my AVIN screen installation. The cables to the HU run down towards the floor and then rear. The cable split and one side went behind the AC duct and the other split in front. That effectively locked it in from being pulled out. I had to remove the center console and the AC duct. On reassembly I made sure the cable run didn't get trapped by the AC duct work.
Appreciate 2
wcs2229170.50
Lx1f4815.00
      07-19-2020, 03:08 PM   #87
Lx1f48
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

I had the same issue installing the MMI BOX in my X1 F48 2016. I managed to connect all the cables behind the HU without pulling it out by disassembling the glove box compartment and squeezing my arm through the glove box till my hand reached the quadlock cable. I think it is easier than removing the center console.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
wcs2229170.50
Movnmik13.50
ypk12.50
      02-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #88
Fra-x1
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 f48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDK View Post
Great reply MJE60, really appreciate! My has Way in the Nav settings so it’s an EntryNav2.
Hi. i have an entrynav2 with id6, is it not the same as nbt evo? I bought an android car stereo for nbt evo but everything works except the original screen and the rear view camera. I tried to set the display resolution but always No Signal .. how can I solve? Help me. Thanks
Appreciate 0