BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 AVIN Android Head Unit

05-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #45
NJDK
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
If your touchscreen and menu layout is identical to the one shown in the YouTube clip then you have an s6un navigation option (6.5” touch screen and non touch iDrive controller) and an ENTRYNAV2 HU.
Most 10.25 android units for the F48 are designed to work with Entrynav and not ENTRYNAV2. You can confirm absolutely which HU you have by looking at software version in the Nav menu of the map includes “route” in the description you have ENTRYNAV if the map description includes word “way” then you have ENTRYNAV2. Entrynav/Entrynav2 HU have skins which mimic the display layouts of NBT and NBTevo HU. Most if not all ENTRYNAV2 HU have NBTevo skins (NBT = next best thing and evo = evolution). Early Entrynav HU have , I am informed, nbt4 skins and later Entrynav have nbt5 skins. Entrynav HU have ARM chips and tougher security than intel driven NBT/NBTevo HU which is why there are no 3rd party fsc codes available to load features such as CarPlay. I have not been able to confirm but am told some very early production F48 may have been installed with NBT HU

For NBTevo HU your F48 would have to have s609 professional Nav and have been build for following markets (Russia, Japan, Taiwan or possibly China).
As ENTRYNAV2 HU only started being installed from 08/2017th9s is why the aftermarket android units have not yet caught up. I would imagine Android units for ENTRYNAV2 will become available in the next few months, they have just started to appear for 8.8 display reversing camera retrofits.

ENTRYNAV most will have nbt5 screen layout
https://www.google.com/search?client...isplay&sbfbu=1

ENTRYNAV2 will have NBTevo screen layout
https://www.google.com/search?q=entr...GRc-uDQiURlDlM

Great reply MJE60, really appreciate! My has Way in the Nav settings so it’s an EntryNav2.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 05:25 AM   #46
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 116d

Thanks guys for all of those informations, basically I have an X1 F48 2016 with a 6.5 inch screen without any gps navigation and I think it is a real benifits to mount an android system on that car, meanwhile I have some questions for users that may have intalled this screen:
- I have seen that the boot time is nearly 20s for android part , is it the same boot time on the oem side as we keep the oem interface as well, because with the oem screen , the boot time is instantly ?
- Do I need to mount a gps antenna or should I use the Gps splitter even though I don't have any navigation system, I keep thinking that a GPS antenna is already installed along with the radio one (roof top on the shark antenna)?
- could any one give us some pictures of how they managed to pass the usb cables in the glove box ? Because when opening the glove box , I see no holes to use ?
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2019, 02:43 AM   #47
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 02:47 AM   #48
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelSorel View Post
Thanks guys for all of those informations, basically I have an X1 F48 2016 with a 6.5 inch screen without any gps navigation and I think it is a real benifits to mount an android system on that car, meanwhile I have some questions for users that may have intalled this screen:
- I have seen that the boot time is nearly 20s for android part , is it the same boot time on the oem side as we keep the oem interface as well, because with the oem screen , the boot time is instantly ?
- Do I need to mount a gps antenna or should I use the Gps splitter even though I don't have any navigation system, I keep thinking that a GPS antenna is already installed along with the radio one (roof top on the shark antenna)?
- could any one give us some pictures of how they managed to pass the usb cables in the glove box ? Because when opening the glove box , I see no holes to use ?
- iDrive part boots instantly as it used to do
- If you do not have original navi system you don't have a gps antenna and you need to install the aftermarket module.
- there are no holes but there is an opening in the back of the glove box. You just open it up, pass the cables and close it again
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #49
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
- iDrive part boots instantly as it used to do
- If you do not have original navi system you don't have a gps antenna and you need to install the aftermarket module.
- there are no holes but there is an opening in the back of the glove box. You just open it up, pass the cables and close it again
Ok thanks, when you say cables, you mean aux and USBs ?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:20 AM   #50
MauroSte
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDK View Post
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there is an Android 8.1 10.25" screen that works with an already installed touch OEM screen like the one in the below link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...;v=m04ghquxiII

It seems like AVIN etc. all say that the screen only works with if an NBT EVO Touch screen is already installed?

My main demand is to use the cars current wireless functions (calls, bluetooth music, phone charging, ID controller) and other map functions as Waze etc. as the 6UN map I currently have installed is simply not intelligent enough..

I would prefer just to upgrade my 6.5" to an 8.8" OEM screen, but I have no insight into whether BMW is going to fix the 6CP issue that many people have and therefore not sure if its money out of the window..?
If your touchscreen and menu layout is identical to the one shown in the YouTube clip then you have an s6un navigation option (6.5" touch screen and non touch iDrive controller) and an ENTRYNAV2 HU.
Most 10.25 android units for the F48 are designed to work with Entrynav and not ENTRYNAV2. You can confirm absolutely which HU you have by looking at software version in the Nav menu of the map includes "route" in the description you have ENTRYNAV if the map description includes word "way" then you have ENTRYNAV2. Entrynav/Entrynav2 HU have skins which mimic the display layouts of NBT and NBTevo HU. Most if not all ENTRYNAV2 HU have NBTevo skins (NBT = next best thing and evo = evolution). Early Entrynav HU have , I am informed, nbt4 skins and later Entrynav have nbt5 skins. Entrynav HU have ARM chips and tougher security than intel driven NBT/NBTevo HU which is why there are no 3rd party fsc codes available to load features such as CarPlay. I have not been able to confirm but am told some very early production F48 may have been installed with NBT HU

For NBTevo HU your F48 would have to have s609 professional Nav and have been build for following markets (Russia, Japan, Taiwan or possibly China).
As ENTRYNAV2 HU only started being installed from 08/2017th9s is why the aftermarket android units have not yet caught up. I would imagine Android units for ENTRYNAV2 will become available in the next few months, they have just started to appear for 8.8 display reversing camera retrofits.

ENTRYNAV most will have nbt5 screen layout
https://www.google.com/search?client...ay&sbfbu=1

ENTRYNAV2 will have NBTevo screen layout
https://www.google.com/search?q=entr...GRc-uDQiURlDlM
Hi Marc (MJE60),

I have 6.5" touch screen and non touch iDrive controller, and an ENTRYNAV2 HU.

The proposed solution from my dealer is (looks like Avin):
http://www.audicom.it/index.php?id_p...roller=product

As an alternative, thinking about Unique ACP + 8.8 OEM retrofit (actually that is what I need).

My issue/question is missing AUX port (on the arm board), to route the sound. Does it still exist on the head unit ? Can be unlocked ?

The solution is AUX to USB adapter like:
http://www.audicom.it/index.php?id_p...roller=product

but would like to avoid any dongle, and keep existing USB for ENTRYNAV2.

Maybe the USB splitter could be the option ?

Pls advice...

Mauro
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #51
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Ok thanks, when you say cables, you mean aux and USBs ?
2 USB female cables
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #52
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hello guys, I have installed the android screen and I have seen a few things:
1- I have got a "No signal" on BMW oem interface.
2- no optical fiber on original car headunit connector, so I guess I need to use an aux cable and plug it on aux port.
3- no gps lock knowing that I am using the gps antenna coming with the screen.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #53
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hello guys, I have installed the android screen and I have seen a few things:
1- I have got a "No signal" on BMW oem interface.
2- no optical fiber on original car headunit connector, so I guess I need to use an aux cable and plug it on aux port.
3- no gps lock knowing that I am using the gps antenna coming with the screen.

Thanks for your help.
Ok Finally I have succeeded to install the android screen (Black screen 10.25 inch display, Qualcom 8 core, 4G RAM, 64G stoage with 4G LTE):
- The "no signal" message was due to a badly plugged power harness.
- No need to run an AUX cable as the sound is perfectly working on android and BMW part (sound quality on android side is the same as on the BMW side)
- I have installed the GPS antenna inside the dashboard and keep receiving a very good signal strength and GPS fix is nearly instant. so no need to install the antenna on a visible place.

I have changed the android UI to ID6 as I don't like the ID7 part.
So far everything is working perfectly through wifi tethering. I did not yet test the 4G LTE.

Will update after a week of full tests.

one thing though, As I had an 6.5 inch display, I got a half display image on the BMW side, I know that I need to do some coding to configure the CAR on an 8.8 inch, so how would I do this ? thanks.

Some photos
Attached Images

Last edited by rafaelSorel; 08-23-2019 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      08-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #54
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj74 View Post
I hope the pictures help explain it a little better, you don't need to worry about removing a lot of panels - other than the tailgate's panel. you can use a plastic trim tool to lift the trim a little bit and tuck the wire. The trickiest part is fishing the wire in the tailgate.
Hello, I have ordered a rear view camera, the question is , do I really need to remove the negative battery entry before performing the mounting ?
I have mounted the android screen without disconnect any battery, the thing is it said in BMW documentation in here:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f48-x1-sdrive16d-sav/repair-manuals/61-general-vehicle-electrical-system/61-21-battery-with-holder/1LqtiBBl

Disconnecting and connecting the battery may lead to :
1- when the vehicle battery is disconnected, fault memories may be set in some control units.
2- The on-board computer and clock may lose your data.

So we suppose that I don't have to disconnect the battery, there is no risks that the back seat side airbag will be activated when removing the C/D back pillar to pass the cable under those panels as shown in "1" on this image ?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #55
matrixpt
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 F48, Jaguar XE, Leon 5F

very well done,

congrats!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #56
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
one thing though, As I had an 6.5 inch display, I got a half display image on the BMW side, I know that I need to do some coding to configure the CAR on an 8.8 inch, so how would I do this ? thanks.
Any one could help regarding the use of bimmercode to make the OEM interface displayed on fullscreen ?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 03:43 AM   #57
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Any one could help regarding the use of bimmercode to make the OEM interface displayed on fullscreen ?
For idrive 4 you just need to set:
1. the DISPLAY VARIANTE in expert mode of the HU settings to breites
2. the resolution to 1280X480
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #58
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
For idrive 4 you just need to set:
1. the DISPLAY VARIANTE in expert mode of the HU settings to breites
2. the resolution to 1280X480
Ok, thanks , do I need to start the car or the engine before starts the coding ? or what ever condition is good to make the coding ?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 03:57 AM   #59
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thanks , do I need to start the car or the engine before starts the coding ? or what ever condition is good to make the coding ?
Please see the extensive Guide for using Bimmercode
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #60
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Please see the extensive Guide for using Bimmercode
yes, thanks for the tip
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:46 PM   #61
pj74
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Hello, I have ordered a rear view camera, the question is , do I really need to remove the negative battery entry before performing the mounting ?
I have mounted the android screen without disconnect any battery, the thing is it said in BMW documentation in here:
I haven't disconnected the battery cable during my install. You can disconnect the battery to minimize any risk.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 07:49 AM   #62
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

A couple questions for those of you with the AVIN unit that I can't find from their website.

1. Does this unit use the built in car mic's? If not but I don't need to string another is the mic anywhere as good as the cars built in one for phone calls? The default BMW mics have been excellent in my experience.

2. How does this unit interact with things like SiriusXM Sat Radio being played? I can't tell if the carplay audiot requires the car to be using "Aux In" for that audio, if so I'm not sure I'd be able to use the Sat Radio without streaming it all the time?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #63
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
A couple questions for those of you with the AVIN unit that I can't find from their website.

1. Does this unit use the built in car mic's? If not but I don't need to string another is the mic anywhere as good as the cars built in one for phone calls? The default BMW mics have been excellent in my experience.

2. How does this unit interact with things like SiriusXM Sat Radio being played? I can't tell if the carplay audiot requires the car to be using "Aux In" for that audio, if so I'm not sure I'd be able to use the Sat Radio without streaming it all the time?
There is no need to use the android unit's phone app. You can carry on using the I drive part for it no need to worry about microphones.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #64
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Finally I have installed the rear view camera bought from aliexpress for about 40$, the mounting took me around 4 hours, I have actually passed the cables on the floor-luggage compartment to the right door sill cover strip and finally to the dashboard.

Actually I have seen many mountings that goes above the right windows underneath the trim, this is actually very dangerous , as there is the lateral airbag over there and nothing must be fixed above it (BMW documentation said so !).

The camera is working perfectly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      09-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #65
link_sy
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
Finally I have installed the rear view camera bought from aliexpress for about 40$, the mounting took me around 4 hours, I have actually passed the cables on the floor-luggage compartment to the right door sill cover strip and finally to the dashboard.

[IMG]https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/obj/1VnYlO8FSd[/IMG]

[IMG]https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nel/1VnYCD4816[/IMG]

Actually I have seen many mountings that goes above the right windows underneath the trim, this is actually very dangerous , as there is the lateral airbag over there and nothing must be fixed above it (BMW documentation said so !).

The camera is working perfectly.
Hi

Can you share a link to the camera? Does it come with all the cables and everything? I was told there were cheap options just not sure how to make it work? If you could share some external pics too it would be great
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #66
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by link_sy View Post
Hi

Can you share a link to the camera? Does it come with all the cables and everything? I was told there were cheap options just not sure how to make it work? If you could share some external pics too it would be great
The camera comes with everything you need, here is the link to the camera I have ordered:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32888...27146c37Psty5x

Some external picture of before and after installation:
Attached Images

Last edited by rafaelSorel; 09-12-2019 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0