X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Halogens to LEDs

12-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
dougdmg
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Halogens to LEDs

There has been numerous discussions on this forum about upgrading the halogen headlight bulbs to LEDs on the BMW X1. Could someone who has actually done this give me detailed information as to how you did this? Specifically, I would like to know:

How do you access the bulbs. Does this involve removing parts of the car.

What are the best LED bulbs to use?

Is there coding involved and how do you do this?

Do the LED bulbs last as long as the original halogen bulbs.

Will this affect my warranty?

If I do not have the skills to do this myself, what type of repair shop will do this for me? The only place that would even attempt replacing the bulbs on my 2018 X1 is an auto body shop.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
JonTran8
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a 2018 X1 28i with standard halogen bulbs. I purchased the TechMax via Amazon based off of BulbFacts review

There was no coding issues, however I got the flickering issue at startup due to the car sending quick low voltage to check if the bulbs are out. I contacted the seller and they sent me a decoder for free which bypasses the start up check therefore fixed the flickering issue.

Install was quick and simple if you're somewhat decent with DIY maybe 2/10 difficulty... Accessing the bulbs was easy. Pop the hood, turn the large cover behind the headlights to have access, remove bulb harness, remove metal prong to release the bulbs (hardest part), remove old bulb, replace new bulb, replace metal prong, attach harness, close cover. All done.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

That flickering decoder sounds interesting... in case you want no coding to be done in your car. Especially if it managed to kill flickering but maintains the car's ability to warn you whenever a lamp is out....
Can you provide us with a link?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #4
OKstate11
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1 xDrive

I tried replacing the Halogens with LED's. How did you get the the metal prong/latch around the base of the LED? The base of the LED was too large for me to fit it around.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKstate11 View Post
I tried replacing the Halogens with LED's. How did you get the the metal prong/latch around the base of the LED? The base of the LED was too large for me to fit it around.
You would have to purchase bulbs with a H7 base. I ran LED bulbs similar to this on a e46 3 series and e90 3 series.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
Jmhockey1920
Private
Rep

I have replaced my headlights, fog lights and front turn signals to LED bulbs. I bought them all from here. I need to email them about the fog bulbs flickering at start up for about 3 seconds.

http://deautokey.com/

I will purchase the rear brake, turn and reverse bulbs here shortly.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmhockey1920 View Post
I have replaced my headlights, fog lights and front turn signals to LED bulbs. I bought them all from here. I need to email them about the fog bulbs flickering at start up for about 3 seconds.

http://deautokey.com/

I will purchase the rear brake, turn and reverse bulbs here shortly.
Coding would fix that. I used Bimmercode app to change the bulb type from halogen to LED on the front fogs and the rear lights.

Last edited by mikeyb74; 01-10-2019 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:49 PM   #8
OKstate11
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
You would have to purchase bulbs with a H7 base. I ran LED bulbs similar to this on a e46 3 series and e90 3 series.
I haven't found any H7 bulbs that didn't have the large cooling fins/fan on the back. Where do you purchase the one in the picture?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I haven't found any H7 bulbs that didn't have the large cooling fins/fan on the back. Where do you purchase the one in the picture?
When I worked at bavauto.com I purchased these but they are pricey. Paying for the brand name.

https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-wlfzz7k1y

I had these as well.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...gaAstlEALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #10
JonTran8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
That flickering decoder sounds interesting... in case you want no coding to be done in your car. Especially if it managed to kill flickering but maintains the car's ability to warn you whenever a lamp is out....
Can you provide us with a link?
https://www.amazon.com/TECHMAX-Headlight-Extremely-Heatsink-Conversion/dp/B07CBRXTT6

These are the bulbs I ordered and the seller sent the decoder for free. It was a very simple plug and play. 1/10
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #11
JonTran8
Rep

Quote:
It fit for the Techmax. I might have had to apply a little pressure and maneuvering to the metal bracket to make sure it sat flush, but it wasn't a struggle of any sort.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
Jmhockey1920
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
Coding would fix that. I used Bimmercode app to change the bulb type from halogen to LED on the front fogs and the rear lights.
I will try this tonight, if it works. You are my hero! Also, if you were explaining this to a 6 year old, where do I need to go in my BimmerCode App? I have the full version. Thanks!

Last edited by Jmhockey1920; 01-24-2019 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #13
fcbayern04
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Would someone who bought the Techmax be able to confirm that these lights can replace both the low and high beams halogens with no modifications? Thank you!

Last edited by fcbayern04; 05-22-2020 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 04:45 PM   #14
stealth1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Retainer Clip

For those who have upgraded to LED lights, how did you handle the spring loaded retainer clip - do you bend it around the heatsync housing, or is there another way?

I have the techmax H7 LED's (I'm sure other manufacturers are similar) and just spent 30 min trying to make the clip work. Thanks for any help, really would like to finish what I started...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 08:18 PM   #15
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

When I installed my Hikari Ultra H7s, I removed the entire clip and used linesman pliers to straighten only the bent part (from about 90 degree bend to 180) that didn't clear the heatsink. I made sure to maintain the shape of the rest of the clip so it would go back properly and latch properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #16
stealth1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Skyline - thank you! This was the first time I'd dealt with LED H7's and didn't realize the mounting plate separated from the rest of the bulb. Once detached, the plate installed easily like a regular H7, then I just inserted the bulb assembly, gave it half a turn and the job was done without having to bend a thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #17
dimaorel23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Does anyone know or can someone refer me to a thread discussing how to change the entire tail light assembly from the halogen one to LED? I have looked around this forum as well as others and have yet to find an answer. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 12:57 AM   #18
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimaorel23 View Post
Does anyone know or can someone refer me to a thread discussing how to change the entire tail light assembly from the halogen one to LED? I have looked around this forum as well as others and have yet to find an answer. Thanks in advance!
Maybe this?

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:37 AM   #19
1stf48
Rep
Drives: 2016 x28i msport

New f48 owner and new to Bimmerpost. Recently installed morimoto 3stroke 2.0 led headlight bulbs. Even after coding they still flicker and turn off when car is running. With engine off they work fine. Is it possible I still need the pwm module? Fogs are new led but after coding work fine. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #20
kvndng
Rep
Drives: 2017 bmw x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stf48 View Post
New f48 owner and new to Bimmerpost. Recently installed morimoto 3stroke 2.0 led headlight bulbs. Even after coding they still flicker and turn off when car is running. With engine off they work fine. Is it possible I still need the pwm module? Fogs are new led but after coding work fine. Thanks guys.
Just put a pair a couple of weeks ago, I ended up buying GTR decoders and now they are fine
Appreciate 1
1stf486.00
      02-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #21
1stf48
Rep
Drives: 2016 x28i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvndng View Post
Quote:
Just put a pair a couple of weeks ago, I ended up buying GTR decoders and now they are fine
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks I appreciate your response. I'm waiting on the same ones should be here Wednesday! You have the morimotos?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 06:20 AM   #22
kvndng
Rep
Drives: 2017 bmw x1

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks I appreciate your response. I'm waiting on the same ones should be here Wednesday! You have the morimotos?
Yes I have the morimoto 2 stroke 3.0

Finally replaced after trying a bunch of diff "better" halogens. From the ZXE Sylvania to the philips racing vision. The main issue with those were reliability, so I ended up going with these LED.

I did have to adjust them significantly though, in terms of lowering them
Appreciate 0