BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Exterior Bulb Replacement with LED

12-19-2017, 03:35 AM   #23
civciv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 Med. Blue

I have changed my car's signal and stop bulbs to LEDs. Everything was OK till now, but for the last two days the car warns about the left stop light. I think, I need to disable the bulb check. Which value should I disable?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #24
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Check to see if the bulb is functioning or not. If it is, then if you have Bimmercode, in the lighting rear module, there’s an option to change the lighting option to LED. This will stop the bulb check. If you have e-sys, then one of the members here can chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civciv View Post
I have changed my car's signal and stop bulbs to LEDs. Everything was OK till now, but for the last two days the car warns about the left stop light. I think, I need to disable the bulb check. Which value should I disable?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 03:47 AM   #25
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

I have changed the low and high beams with leds and at startup I get some flickering.
The technician said that this is perfectly normal since the canbus system does a check.
I have BimmerCode so I think I could code that from bulb to led. Would this rectify the flickering ?

Last edited by iceman7; 02-16-2018 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #26
junior88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
I have changed the low and high beams with leds and at startup I get some flickering. The technician said that this perfectly normal since the canbus system does a a check.
I have BimmerCode so I think I could code that from bulb to led. Would this rectify the flickering ?
I'm not sure of an answer for you, but I do plan on doing this same thing in the next week (upgrading high and low beams from halogen to LED bulbs.)

There's not much discussion on this particular topic, it would be very valuable if you could follow up with any actions you've taken to remedy and which bulbs you bought. Appreciate the insight!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #27
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior88 View Post
I'm not sure of an answer for you, but I do plan on doing this same thing in the next week (upgrading high and low beams from halogen to LED bulbs.)

There's not much discussion on this particular topic, it would be very valuable if you could follow up with any actions you've taken to remedy and which bulbs you bought. Appreciate the insight!
I ditched the project due to errors and flickering not only in the beginning but every 6-7 minutes (just a slight flicker then, though)!
BimmerCode failed since it never managed to find the FEM module so a software probable solution was not there!
Hardware modding is not of my taste so I got my money back, kept only the led stop lights (that seem to be flicker and error free) and await for more courageous owners to try!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #28
ejw2011
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 F25 35i, x1 F48 28i

I've used Bimmercode and Carly. Both worked. Are you sure you changed to specify LED? Did you change voltage monitoring off for warm and cold checks?
It worked for turn signals, front and rear, rear brake lights, and fog lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #29
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw2011 View Post
I've used Bimmercode and Carly. Both worked. Are you sure you changed to specify LED? Did you change voltage monitoring off for warm and cold checks?
It worked for turn signals, front and rear, rear brake lights, and fog lights.
This is what I am trying to say! I didn't have the chance to change from bulb to led since bimmercode could not find the FEM module!
I have contacted the author of Bimmercode since the iOs version could not find the FEM module even though a couple of months ago there was no problem.
Today I tried again several times both with slow or normal communication , removing and installing the software again, erasing the Vlink wifi of the dongle and recconncting using an iphone X and Ipad mini, but in vain!

Then and just before losing my patience I tried the Android version and the FEM module appeared, so in order to get rid of the awful strobe light show each time the car was turned on (plus some flashes randomly) I bought Bimmercode for the android platform, too! (emailed the author for this since it is unacceptable having to pay twice for the same thing).

Then I took all the necessary steps as described above and everything worked fine (low and high beam, indicators, position and in general back lights) The thing is that all this happened to a friend's X1 (not mine) that also installed leds yesterday, too but he was more patient than me to keep them (I had them removed, since I could not stand the strobe light effects and the constant errors, and I did not want to have the lamps hardware modded with resistors and cancelers as the installer wanted).
The weird thing is that both back red lamps (position and brake) that never flickered were already identified as leds by FEM (they had resistors installed, too). On the other hand back and front indicators that also had resistors were still bulb so they required to be coded.

The only drawback by removing the cold and start check though is that you cannot get an error message if a lamp is actually broken. We removed one of the front high beams and by switching them on no error message popped up!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #30
ejw2011
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 F25 35i, x1 F48 28i

"The weird thing is that both back red lamps (position and brake) that never flickered were already identified as leds by FEM (they had resistors installed, too). On the other hand back and front indicators that also had resistors were still bulb so they required to be coded."

That is strange the car has resistors installed. Is this car new from dealer or used? Resistors are used to prevent hyper flashing, not for flickering. Any case if when you code the rears all Will be fine from hyper flashing, flickering, and error code on dash.

As far as disabling cold and warm checks, don't worry about it. Leds Will last longer than halogen. That is what we have to do when we swap to led until Bmw decide to make all exterior lights LED as standard features.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #31
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw2011 View Post
"The weird thing is that both back red lamps (position and brake) that never flickered were already identified as leds by FEM (they had resistors installed, too). On the other hand back and front indicators that also had resistors were still bulb so they required to be coded."

That is strange the car has resistors installed. Is this car new from dealer or used? Resistors are used to prevent hyper flashing, not for flickering. Any case if when you code the rears all Will be fine from hyper flashing, flickering, and error code on dash.

As far as disabling cold and warm checks, don't worry about it. Leds Will last longer than halogen. That is what we have to do when we swap to led until Bmw decide to make all exterior lights LED as standard features.
The resistors were installed by the guy that installed the leds.
The are used to prevent errors (hardware solution).
Of course if I had Bimmerwork working on time I would not allow him to install resistors at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #32
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

After finally using Bimmercode (Android version this time)

Last edited by iceman7; 04-10-2018 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #33
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Following Stephan's great support the module I saw in the iOS app as BDC is the one that includes the FEM options for lights that I needed.
So in order to code as above search for the FEM or BDC module!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #34
junior88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
After finally using Bimmercode (Android version this time)

Wow these look great! Which bulbs did you end up buying for this?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:52 AM   #35
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Bought them and had them installed by a local shop selling lamps only!
These are chinese made lamps from the same factory that makes the Philips G7 ones. 2 years of warranty for the headlamps and 3 for all the rest!

https://www.xenonlights.gr/en/headli...ht-led-h7.html

Last edited by iceman7; 02-23-2018 at 04:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #36
junior88
Enlisted Member
Rep

@icemman7, thanks for answering all of my questions, made things much easier for me, was able to knock out the full project during my lunch. Here's what I did:

1) Bought these bulbs - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) Used BimmerCode to code
Low beam warm monitoring : Not Active
Low beam cold monitoring: Not Active
Low beam lamp: LED

3) Removed original bulb.

4) Mounted the H7 mount/ring thing and secured it using the OEM wire clip. (Note I did have to bend this clip a bit to not interfere with the heat sink on the new bulb)

5) Slid the new bulb in, twisted it to lock, repeat on the other side.

Voila - Bulbs work, no flickering, no errors. Should any of this change while driving around tonight I will update ya'll here. But for now, here is a photo of a before (top) and after (bottom). It definitely is not as pronounced as it could be, but thats likely because I'm doing this in daylight, right under a bright light in the parking garage, and surrounded by many more. Will upload nighttime photos, tonight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      02-23-2018, 04:18 AM   #37
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Well done!
Great!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #38
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Any news? Everything OK? Please post some night pics, too!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #39
junior88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey! Yes sorry for not posting sooner. I actually had an opportunity to take a long road trip through Maine and really put these to the test through same night driving with both rain and snow. Worked wonderfully, I'm totally satisfied with the upgrade. Uploading some pictures here, top is the old lights, bottom is the LEDs in both. I must admit, I continue to find the photos misleading as in real life, the lights look way better than the photos lead onto.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      03-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #40
Edtheted
Edtheted
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 1.8 sDrive xLine auto

Garage List
The LED lamps I've looked at state they are for "off road" use only not road legal, anyone know?
      07-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #41
kent3888
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Reverse / Back-up Lights

I noticed it's written 21-watt bulb,P21WLL. Does anyone changed this to LED or any links or online shop recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 03:51 AM   #42
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Finally switched to leds, too!

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 06:05 AM   #43
Pewters
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 20d X Drive

Are the front fog lights defo H8 ?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:50 AM   #44
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewters View Post
Are the front fog lights defo H8 ?
H8 bulbs yes. I want to find a decent set of LED H8s for mine.
Attached Images

Last edited by mikeyb74; 08-14-2018 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0