BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Failure to unlock

01-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
Timwillows
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 20d X-drive

Failure to unlock

Yesterday morning my x1 failed to unlock from the key fob, tried a few times and different angles but nothing. Then tried other key, same results.
Eventually got in using the old style traditional key, setting the alarm off in the process then cancelling that with the key fob on the steering column while starting car.
All now functioning fine. Dealer not really interested as car now working, any idea? Has this happened to others?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 02:45 AM   #2
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

It may be that your door/ignition key was not detected by the car when trying to open it. You say you have placed the key fob against the steering column while starting the car and that may have been sufficient to rectify the issue.
The Owners Handbook says you should hold the back of the key against the mark on the steering column, whilst paying attention to the display in the instrument cluster and then, if the key is detected, start the engine within 10 seconds.
Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwillows View Post
Yesterday morning my x1 failed to unlock from the key fob, tried a few times and different angles but nothing. Then tried other key, same results.
Eventually got in using the old style traditional key, setting the alarm off in the process then cancelling that with the key fob on the steering column while starting car.
All now functioning fine. Dealer not really interested as car now working, any idea? Has this happened to others?
Hi
I have seen others report problems on various car makes and the advice was often given that this could be due to local electronic interference causing corruption of code syc. Re-sync of key (advice already given) should solve but repeated problems should be investigated (not so helpful). What might have caused the interference ranged from electronic garage doors, local thieves with jammers , neighbours new car with conflicting coding etc.etc Good luck and hopefully a one-for problem
Appreciate 0