BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Right exhaust flap mod

08-28-2018, 01:18 AM   #23
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Nah, just pull the clip. It can only go in one direction.
You will need to secure the flap in open position (thin metal wire works pretty good)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #24
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '93 'Beemer' R100r, '17 X1(S)

My concern was that I would throw a code if I just unplugged the electrical connection so I just loosened the 3-10mm bolts holding the actuator assembly just far enough so that I could remove the spring clip that couples both assemblies. Then I bent a piece of welding electrode (flux removed) that matched the width of the slot on the valve shaft into a "Z" shape, slid it into position in the valve's slot after fully opening the exhaust flap, then secured the ends of the wire to the mounting bracket by bending. Oh, save the spring clip that you've removed - it's $10 to buy if you ever want to revert to OEM.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #25
exwon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Nah, just pull the clip. It can only go in one direction.
You will need to secure the flap in open position (thin metal wire works pretty good)
awesome, thanks for that clarification! look forward to doing that this weekend. and then looking into the bms intake.

and eventually a muffler exhaust system if i "need" more sound - assuming more than one or two exhausts are on the market at that time.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #26
exwon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
My concern was that I would throw a code if I just unplugged the electrical connection so I just loosened the 3-10mm bolts holding the actuator assembly just far enough so that I could remove the spring clip that couples both assemblies. Then I bent a piece of welding electrode (flux removed) that matched the width of the slot on the valve shaft into a "Z" shape, slid it into position in the valve's slot after fully opening the exhaust flap, then secured the ends of the wire to the mounting bracket by bending. Oh, save the spring clip that you've removed - it's $10 to buy if you ever want to revert to OEM.
thanks for sharing your wiring solution. i'm assuming if you don't secure the flap in place it will rattle or even more towards a less open position? i'll find out how good a tie i want once i get under the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #27
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

yes, the flap rattles if you don't secure it
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #28
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
Does anyone know for certain that disconnecting the actuator causes a code?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:13 AM   #29
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I did some looking and found something interesting.

The actuator on the X1/X2 is used on quite a few BMWs.

Here is a link: Actuator drive, exhaust flap

I found this article: 440i - Exhaust Flap Mod - The Proper Way...

It refers to this part: Dummy flap actuator

This seems to be a way to disconnect the actuator and not have a code.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 06:15 PM   #30
exwon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
yes, the flap rattles if you don't secure it
pulled the clip out, switched the valve open, and my buddy welded the bottom turning part underneath the exhaust so the valve doesn't turn. took a total of 30 seconds to pull the clamp spring out and 30 seconds to weld.

Last edited by exwon; 09-01-2018 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 11:11 PM   #31
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
I did some looking and found something interesting.

The actuator on the X1/X2 is used on quite a few BMWs.

Here is a link: Actuator drive, exhaust flap

I found this article: 440i - Exhaust Flap Mod - The Proper Way...

It refers to this part: Dummy flap actuator

This seems to be a way to disconnect the actuator and not have a code.
I was ordering some parts, so I added one of the dummy plugs to the order. I'll provide an update when I receive it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #32
exwon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just FYI I've had no codes with the valve open. And that doesn't shock me if the car doesn't know that it's open (or that it didn't shut).

and my 335i stock muffler exhaust had the valve flap, and i upgraded to the PE exhaust which has it removed - so i guess i might not be that offensive to the engine anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #33
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I found another piece of the puzzle.

Universal socket housing uncoded This is the connector that goes into the exhaust flap actuator to protect it from corrosion. This part number doesn't include the cavity plugs. I'm trying to find a part number for the cavity plugs, but you could use silicon caulking.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #34
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

Simplest way to do this mod is to open the flap in Bimmercode/Carly, unplug the connector from the flap under the car, tape up the connector to protect it from outside elements secure the connector under the car. There will be a stored code but no CEL.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 11:49 PM   #35
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Hey folks,

From pictures, videos and posts on this mod, is disconnecting the actuator really necessary? Cant you just remove the C clip joining the actuator to the flap and then securing the flap in open position without disconnecting the electrical connector?

I was going to buy the dummy flap and connector covering but was hoping this mod can be done without having to disconnect the actuator motor. Also, it should prevent any shadow codes from being stored.

Any thoughts or can anyone confirm this mod can be done this way?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #36
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
Hey folks,

From pictures, videos and posts on this mod, is disconnecting the actuator really necessary? Cant you just remove the C clip joining the actuator to the flap and then securing the flap in open position without disconnecting the electrical connector?

I was going to buy the dummy flap and connector covering but was hoping this mod can be done without having to disconnect the actuator motor. Also, it should prevent any shadow codes from being stored.

Thanks.
The shadow code does not effect drive-ability at all. No lights on dash, nothing. I have had mine disconnected since I took delivery of my car back in December. No issues. Dealer knows that I disconnected it they did not care whatsoever. This is the easiest way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #37
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Hey folks,

Thanks.
Yes it can be done that way. You just remove the actuator and the clip falls right out and reinstall the actuator. You still need to secure the flap so it doesn't rattle. I secured the flap with safety wire. I got it super tight so there was no rattle.

I ran it like this for a couple of months and honestly performance wise I couldn't tell any difference. The sound was a bit louder on startup. Eventually I reinstalled the actuator and clip to run the flap OE style. I like having the quiet ride as the X1 is the family vehicle and the only quiet vehicle we own.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 02:38 AM   #38
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Proper and knightarmor, feedback is much appreciated! I'm going the safety wire tie down route, too. Probably the cheapest and most reliable way of holding the flap open short of welding it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #39
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I used the Bimmerlink app to keep the flap open at all times.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #40
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Is this why the left exhaust pipe is a lot dirtier than the right?

It seems like using Bimmercode and disconnecting the plug are more elegant solution.

Last edited by GenXer; 04-15-2019 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: added message
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #41
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Yes, one pipe ends up dirtier than the other.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:50 PM   #42
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post

It seems like using Bimmercode and disconnecting the plug are more elegant solution.
100% much easier and cleaner, just be sure to electric tape up the connector really well to prevent any water and road dirt/grime getting into it than just zip tie it up and out of the way so it doesn't hang down.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #43
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post

Which category is this option under in Bimmercode? I looked recently and didnt see any preset options to have flap open all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #44
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which category is this option under in Bimmercode? I looked recently and didnt see any preset options to have flap open all the time.
Look for exhaust klappenauspuff, than just listen for the valve to open you should be able to hear it open up.
Appreciate 0