BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Help Needed: PC Problem/Question

10-21-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Help Needed: PC Problem/Question

So, I built a new rig towards the end of last year and all has been well until recently. I know my machine has rebooted a few times while I was away (I come back and the PC is at login/lock screen but all my windows are closed when I log in) but figured it was a Windows patch/reboot. This was not a common thing but happened a few times spread out over along period of time.

It locked up the other day while playing music and printing out an e-mail.....something that shouldn't be taxing for an i7700k w/ 16GB of RAM. I was able to boot into safe mode once after that but ever since then I haven't been able to boot to anything. Not to Windows, not safe mode, not off the windows CD/DVD, and not off the recovery thumbdrive I made. It locks up at different states after POST. It might bsod or just sit there mocking me w/ the windows logo up but frozen nonetheless (sometimes the stupid dot circle status thing comes up but then locks). I created a thumbdrive to run memtest86 but it locks up early on every time and never gets very far into memtest.

I originally thought maybe windows fubar'd itself w/ the last update/patch but I should still be able to boot from a recovery disk/thumbdrive. I've tried removing one of the 2 sticks of RAM and trying them one at a time as well as swapping what slots were used.

If I put a blank drive and try to boot from it, I correctly get an error that there's no OS to boot from. Also, the PC always passes POST.

Given the randomness of how far the PC gets w/ booting from anything, I figured maybe something was overheating but I get no alarm and, at idle, the CPU temp reported by the BIOS (and memtest) seems to be in a normal range (37-45C) and I don't hear the fans spool up ever (unless I manually set ramp them up when playing in the bios). I've run UEFI at default settings and even flashed the latest BIOS but no joy.

I'm guessing there is a HW issue that the prior reboots were symptomatic of, but I'm stumped on this one. I've been building my own rigs for a long time and never ran into this much trouble. Anyone have any idea on what to try?

For record, even w/ an unlocked proc, I do not overclock. I also have the same lock issue in the current HW state which is barebones....no peripherals, no GPU (I'm using the on-board graphics chip).....only have the PSU, MB, proc, 2 sticks of RAM, 1 SSD (new/blank), and 1 ROM drive.

I have replacement parts and will basically play swaptronics at this point.
      10-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Sounds to me like a bad processor. If the motherboard POST and it locks up with windows, barebones configuration, and when booting to external device, it is usually bad memory or processor. Since you did the normal physical memory check (use 1 stick at a time in different slots) and it still has the issue, should be the processor. However, motherboard could still be the issue as it could have bad contacts or sockets.

Things to try:
Check your capacitors on your mobo to see if they’re bulging.
Remove processor and check for burnt pins/contacts
Try another processor
Rare instance, but seen it happen - could be a bad power supply having voltage drop causing system lockup.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      10-23-2018, 06:05 AM   #3
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thnx. I had already checked for any bulging or ruptured caps but found none. I'll be pulled the proc later today since I have spare parts coming in for essentially a whole new PC. It'll be a shame if that's what the issue is, though, since they aren't cheap.
      10-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Thnx. I had already checked for any bulging or ruptured caps but found none. I'll be pulled the proc later today since I have spare parts coming in for essentially a whole new PC. It'll be a shame if that's what the issue is, though, since they aren't cheap.
Yes, but remember that most processors have a 3 year MFW warranty should it be that.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      10-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Yes, but remember that most processors have a 3 year MFW warranty should it be that.
Didn't realize that. Thnx! Started looking into it the other night. Newegg is useless so I'll go thru Intel directly.

At this point, basically parts for another PC so I ordered a case... Tried a new power supply (same model...EVGA 750W G2) but same behavior. Tried new RAM sticks for grins but no joy.

Ordered MB from Amazon and got it last Sunday but had no time until yesterday to do anything. I had a sense that the MB might have been a return. Exposed the MB proc socket yesterday and....bent pins. Fook. Ordered the same MB (ASRock Killer) and another one for delivery today.

Looked at the pins on the 'old' MB and pads on the proc and everything looks in order (nothing bent or scorched). No thermal grease (Arctic Silver) spread to anything conductive.

Not sure if I want to try the new proc on the old MB or wait for the new MB and try the old proc. MB's are cheaper so I'll probably go that route.
      10-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Old proc in new MB...same behavior.

New proc in old MB, boots up. Time to initiate (or try to) a RMA.
      10-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #7
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Old proc in new MB...same behavior.

New proc in old MB, boots up. Time to initiate (or try to) a RMA.
If you bought all the parts from Newegg, you should be able to locate your invoice for the processor and use that as proof of purchase with intel. Never had to do an RMA for a processor, but have for Mobos and HDDs. Glad you had the parts to narrow it down.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      10-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
If you bought all the parts from Newegg, you should be able to locate your invoice for the processor and use that as proof of purchase with intel. Never had to do an RMA for a processor, but have for Mobos and HDDs. Glad you had the parts to narrow it down.
So far, it seems Intel is accepting my warranty request. Interestingly, they haven't asked for a copy of a receipt or invoice yet but have offered me 2 options for replacement (both cost me shipping cost).

This is actually my first build w/ Intel. I've used AMD since college. I know this is in the minority of experiences but not feeling the love so far.
      10-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #9
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Believe me, almost all warranty exchanges from any company require the end user to pay for shipping to the manufacturer, but they will pay return shipping back to you. Very few will pay both ways.

I used to be strictly AMD when I was younger doing budget builds, but they have always ran hotter and outside of games they didn’t operate as smoothly. Particularly with their video card drivers. I’d still buy AMD processors, but I’ll never buy AMD videocards again.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So, I received my replacement proc last week. Overall, a fairly straightforward process that cost $10 (return shipping) and about a few weeks overall.

Thanks again for bringing up the 3 year warranty!
      11-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #11
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So, I received my replacement proc last week. Overall, a fairly straightforward process that cost $10 (return shipping) and about a few weeks overall.

Thanks again for bringing up the 3 year warranty!
glad I could help
Appreciate 2
bosstones1144.00
      11-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Interestingly, I never provided proof of purchase. I only provided 2 codes/identifiers off the processor itself. I'm guessing it is tracked some other way behind the scenes but that's only speculation.
      11-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #13
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
When you purchase it from Newegg, they scan the serial number which updates on Intel’s end I believe. Had a similar system at my previous company
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00