BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Positionning of GPS Antenna android

04-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #1
MBA_94
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 f48 2017

Positionning of GPS Antenna android

Hi,

I've installed a 10" android screen in my X1 F48

I'm trying to find the perfect place where to put the gps antenna provided with the android device.

i've tried to put it just behind the central air vent (above the head unit),but it looks like a mess and not stable.

i'd like to avoid to put on top of the board , on the right just above gloves box, like shown in some youtube videos , because it's too visible.

i'd like the perfect place for the antenna .

Any ideas ?

thanks folks
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA_94 View Post
Hi,

I've installed a 10" android screen in my X1 F48

I'm trying to find the perfect place where to put the gps antenna provided with the android device.

i've tried to put it just behind the central air vent (above the head unit),but it looks like a mess and not stable.

i'd like to avoid to put on top of the board , on the right just above gloves box, like shown in some youtube videos , because it's too visible.

i'd like the perfect place for the antenna .

Any ideas ?

thanks folks
For my mmi box, i put my gps antenna in-between the glovebox/HU as there is a small opening that fit perfectly to mount (tape) the antenna.

Haven't had any issues with connecting in the 6+ months of install.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 06:58 AM   #3
asolism
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersbud View Post
For my mmi box, i put my gps antenna in-between the glovebox/HU as there is a small opening that fit perfectly to mount (tape) the antenna.

Hi, could you tell me more about your antenna location? I’m trying to do the same but not sure I understand where did you place it?
I need to place 4g and gps antennas and I was wondering where under the dashboard could be a good spot.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #4
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolism View Post
Quote:

Hi, could you tell me more about your antenna location? I’m trying to do the same but not sure I understand where did you place it?
I need to place 4g and gps antennas and I was wondering where under the dashboard could be a good spot.
I had to take out my glove box. There is a small gap between the glove box/HU (blue area in pic) where is i was able to put my mmi antenna.

Not best picture but gives you an idea where i have mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 10:12 PM   #5
asolism
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Quote:
I had to take out my glove box. There is a small gap between the glove box/HU (blue area in pic) where is i was able to put my mmi antenna.

Thanks! I'm not sure If I placed it in the same place as you, but I have created an image with details regarding my GPS and 4G antenna placement. Hopefully, it will help other members trying to do the same.

1. GPS antenna: in that little hole marked with the red colour.
2. 4G antenna: over the glovebox/ under the dashboard. No access to the glovebox needed. Just pass it through and place it with double side 3M tape. Marked with yellow colour.

You don't get the maximum signal reception but I am getting +-10m GPS accuracy in the city, near big buildings, and in the underground garage. I don't need extra accuracy/precision, nor more than that works for me, opted for keeping the antennas hidden.

I get full 4G bars everywhere.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Homersbud188.50
wcs2229170.50
      06-23-2021, 10:31 PM   #6
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolism View Post
Quote:

Thanks! I'm not sure If I placed it in the same place as you, but I have created an image with details regarding my GPS and 4G antenna placement. Hopefully, it will help other members trying to do the same.

1. GPS antenna: in that little hole marked with the red colour.
2. 4G antenna: over the glovebox/ under the dashboard. No access to the glovebox needed. Just pass it through and place it with double side 3M tape. Marked with yellow colour.

You don't get the maximum signal reception but I am getting +-10m GPS accuracy in the city, near big buildings, and in the underground garage. I don't need extra accuracy/precision, nor more than that works for me, opted for keeping the antennas hidden.

I get full 4G bars everywhere.
Nope - not same place as mine but close.

Very nice post! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0