BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Burger Tuning JB4 install on B48 X2 m35i

10-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #243
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Installed Hardware. Updated Firmware via Software.
Attached Images

Last edited by xcelir8bmw; 10-03-2020 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #244
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Driven:

Another science project.

Spent many-many hours testing out the JB4 today in all conditions as I had with the TDI. Logged the F out of it. Recorded the F out of verbal notes of this. Emailed 10 logs through the App to JB4. Driven the F out of the vehicle. Brutal testing. I still need to Email JB4 to review my logging and advise what they see and if I need a custom map or something else.

This is definitely NOT a plug-and-play-and-drive-and-be-happy-installation, unlike the TDI. However, this JB4 is on steroids where one will have to 'fine tune' each vehicle to the appropriate tune and situation. An entirely 'scientific process' IMO. I've learned not to read into each particular value because the permutations in driving conditions off the highway, on the highway, WOT, etc. - all are variables. So with quite a bit of trial and error...

My intake manifold tapped boost gauge, now with understanding the correction of -1.5 PSI of what the boost gauge says actually matches the JB4 Bluetooth Software readings. So that was a bonus. Learned this -1.5 correction from yesterday and today of TDI testing. Need to see if I need to get a different sender or something, but the point of having a boost gauge on my center console was extremely helpful. And in all testing, it was easy for me to back-to-back compare the TDI and the JB4 in boost levels.

Results:

Map 0 = Stock, meh.
Map 1 = 3PSI, 26 PSI Safety in Software, Failsafed to Map 8
Map 2 = 4 PSI, 26 PSI Safety in Software, Failsafed to Map 8
Map 1 = 3PSI, 27 PSI Safety in Software, Failsafed to Map 8
Map 2 = 4 PSI, 27 PSI Safety in Software, Failsafed to Map 8

Map 2 = 4 PSI, 28 PSI Safety in Software, No issues or failsafes to Map 8

From what I gather in all my testing, with the way my car behaves right now in Map 2, 28PSI Safety in Software, compares to Mode 5/6 on the TDI.

I will also say, in all the testing I had done today, by no means, do I feel or observe that the JB4 is is even 'close' to the TDI in terms of smoothness and linear progression in power. I mean it is really evident, not in a good way. That is until Map 2, 28PSI - and it's better, but not on par with the TDI. I still have the herky-jerky stock feeling of power map. I am not complaining, but pointing out that the JB4 needs to be tuned, and that hopefully Terry can look at my maps and help me out.

Exhausted.

Emailing BMS.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #245
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

so serious question: if you feel that jb4 is the inferior product when placed against the TDI unit, why even bother with additional logging and correspondence with BMS? why not just use what you consider to be the super tuning box, the TDI unit? you've already spent a considerable amount of time with the team across the pond finessing that unit for your car, so why bother with the JB4?

also i'm running map 2 and logged today as well as sent the logs today with the max psi set to 27. i wasn't thrown into map 8 via the failsafe mechanism. i drove, however, like i would drive normally in day-to-day driving. i didn't push the car to its limits because i'm not going to do that in normal daily driving. so i suppose that 27 is probably safer and probably not going to be reached very often to trigger the failsafe that'd throw me into map 8. we'll see, however. the most important aspect about this box for me is the safety of the powertrain and it was via the recommendation of terry that i set the max psi to 27, which i did.

Last edited by Davy Jordi; 10-03-2020 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 05:30 PM   #246
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Emailed BMS.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 05:36 PM   #247
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yes, i know you emailed bms -- you mentioned that -- but my question is why? you've already fine tuned the TDI unit, so why bother doing it again with the JB4? what's the point?
      10-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #248
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jordi View Post
so serious question: if you feel that jb4 is the inferior product when placed against the TDI unit, why even bother with additional logging and correspondence with BMS? why not just use what you consider to be the super tuning box, the TDI unit? you've already spent a considerable amount of time with the team across the pond finessing that unit for your car, so why bother with the JB4?
I'm exahusted, so please don't get up in my business for what I am about to say. I'm not trying to start any war, of any kind, but I think you and others are really missing something. I mean, really.

Who the F said JB4 is an 'inferior' product. F no. Just DIFFERENT.

Advantages are logging up the wazoo. And failsafe. And performing a science project, like we've all seen to get it to the sweet spot.

The TDI is up for sale. It is a great solution, with the right map that I had worked with TDI on to plug and go, and be done with it.

The JB4 is like a Rasberry Pi. You have to tinker with it to get it to be what you want it to be. Stupid analogy, but, it's true.

For the LOVE of the community, I don't see anyone else doing what I have done to the extent of doing it. So bare with me, and don't jump to conclusions like I see you doing. I ask and ask and ask and ask and buy and buy and buy and buy and test and test and test and test, so please, for the love of GOD, chill the F out and understand that this shit is definitely not plug and play and drive and be happy between the solutions available.

The JB4 is staying. It's stealth. I'm happy with the install and the feature sets. It is a better solution overall and quite more advanced and complex depending on a) what map truly to use and b) how far you are going to take the progressions of modifying your car.

I hope you all get it.

Hugs?
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #249
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i didn't push the car to its limits because i'm not going to do that in normal daily driving
I do push the car to it's limits, I drive it like I stole it. I race on race tracks. And with all my testing map 2, 28 PSI seems 'to work'.

I want the tune, not just 'work' but be 'optimal'.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #250
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Off Highway: Map 2, 28 Safety
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #251
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

dude, chill out, you need to step back and realize that people may question the logic behind what you are doing. if it's just, as you state, for the love of tinkering around, then so be it, but don't be surprised when you've spent a whole damn lot on nearly everything on the market and then write, "I will also say, in all the testing I had done today, by no means, do I feel or observe that the JB4 is is even 'close' to the TDI in terms of smoothness and linear progression in power. I mean it is really evident, not in a good way." i mean, it's natural for one to read those sentences and conclude that you have found the performance of the jb4 to be inferior to that of the tdi unit.

anyway, you do you, boo. and because i also have the jb4 unit installed and because you are all about the community, make sure you share what bms has to say.
      10-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #252
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Highway: Map 2, 28 Safety
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #253
Rosa's keeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevy Bolt, X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
I'm exahusted, so please don't get up in my business for what I am about to say. I'm not trying to start any war, of any kind, but I think you and others are really missing something. I mean, really.

Who the F said JB4 is an 'inferior' product. F no. Just DIFFERENT.

Advantages are logging up the wazoo. And failsafe. And performing a science project, like we've all seen to get it to the sweet spot.

The TDI is up for sale. It is a great solution, with the right map that I had worked with TDI on to plug and go, and be done with it.

The JB4 is like a Rasberry Pi. You have to tinker with it to get it to be what you want it to be. Stupid analogy, but, it's true.

For the LOVE of the community, I don't see anyone else doing what I have done to the extent of doing it. So bare with me, and don't jump to conclusions like I see you doing. I ask and ask and ask and ask and buy and buy and buy and buy and test and test and test and test, so please, for the love of GOD, chill the F out and understand that this shit is definitely not plug and play and drive and be happy between the solutions available.

The JB4 is staying. It's stealth. I'm happy with the install and the feature sets. It is a better solution overall and quite more advanced and complex depending on a) what map truly to use and b) how far you are going to take the progressions of modifying your car.

I hope you all get it.

Hugs?
Keep doing what your doing - I think we are lucky to have someone willing to take the risk and time and effort for the rest of the community...not sure why you are getting shade...you should be getting kudos..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #254
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dude, chill out, you need to step back and realize that people may question the logic behind what you are doing. if it's just, as you state, for the love of tinkering around, then so be it, but don't be surprised when you've spent a whole damn lot on nearly everything on the market and then write, "I will also say, in all the testing I had done today, by no means, do I feel or observe that the JB4 is is even 'close' to the TDI in terms of smoothness and linear progression in power. I mean it is really evident, not in a good way." i mean, it's natural for one to read those sentences and conclude that you have found the performance of the jb4 to be inferior to that of the tdi unit.

anyway, you do you, boo. and because i also have the jb4 unit installed and because you are all about the community, make sure you share what bms has to say.
PASSION. INNOVATOR. PIONEER.
What are you, the mainstream media censoring out what I say? You obviously omitted the most important part of my statement:

That is until Map 2, 28PSI - and it's better, but not on par with the TDI. I still have the herky-jerky stock feeling of power map. I am not complaining, but pointing out that the JB4 needs to be tuned

What are ya' - a cliff notes type of guy or ?

LOL

Most seriously though. It's all good. That's what this forum is for - to share, to be part of a community, and to educate.

No issues with you or anyone. Just sharing.

Have a good night and be restful. I know I will.

I'll let you all know what BMS says for sure, one way or another.

And I'll hopefully have a good night of sleep, and tomorrow just drive. No science project shit. And just see how things feel in MAP 2, 28.

Oh, and you're right - map 2 and safety 27 is good in regular traffic without any drive-it-like-you-stole it style, but as soon as I hit the highway, like in all the testing I've done, that's where shit starts to rear it's ugly head. safety 28 solved the problem.

Love, Peace Out.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #255
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Any idea why more boost is actually smoother?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #256
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa's keeper View Post
Keep doing what your doing - I think we are lucky to have someone willing to take the risk and time and effort for the rest of the community...not sure why you are getting shade...you should be getting kudos..
i'm not throwing shade, i was simply questioning rationale.

i mean, whatever, the guy's gonna do what he's gonna do and i'm gonna do what i'm gonna do, but when the TDI unit has been hyped up so much and then found to perform better than the JB4, why change? well, he answered - to innovate and to pioneer and if that's what gets him off, go right ahead.
      10-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #257
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

The default safety setting is set lower at 26 psi as the same unit is used for multiple BMW platforms most of which run much less boost than that. This specific X2 platform calls for a 27psi or 28psi safety setting since it runs so much boost from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #258
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

From Terry regarding boost:

"On the safety 26psi is the default, yours changed to 31psi due to your firmware migration from an old unit.

The default of 26psi is just too low for the platform. It's looking like we're going to suggest 30psi for customers going forward. You want is a couple PSI over the usual max boost you see.

Best,
Terry"
      10-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #259
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Hello again!

I had a pleasant back-and-forth with Terry. Great customer service!

He looked at my logs, and generally iterated that I should raise my 28 to 30. He also saw a few timing drops between the cylinders which he recommended higher octane if possible (mix of E85 in the tank).

28-30 PSI is the target range for our vehicle type. With the preference of 30PSI.

I just got back from the garage and changed my settings from 28 to 30. Knowing that 28 didn't give me any failsafes to map 8 (valet mode), that should be fine, but am interested in what 30 will feel like. Probably like the TDI unit which is delicious.

Here is a refresher on maps for the JB4:

Map0: Stock tuning, fully disable JB4
Map1: Additive map with peak of 3psi over stock added (91 octane)
Map2: Additive map with peak of 4psi over stock added (91-93 octane)
Map3: Additive map with peak of 6psi over stock added (93+ octane)
Map4: Absolute target map with peak of 20psi target (93+ and/or E30 octane) suggested for higher boost models like G chassis, Supra, and Z4. EWG required for proper control.
Map5: Absolute target map with peak of 22psi target (E30+ fuel) suggested for higher boost models like G chassis, Supra, and Z4. EWG required for proper control.
Map6: Custom tuning map allowing both additive (below 10psi) and absolute (above 10psi) targeting. Setting RPM1500 boost below 5.7psi will make entire map6 additive, setting above 6psi will make entire map6 absolute target.
Map7: WMI map (boost varies based on WMI additive, meth flow, and other criteria)
Map8: VALET / Low Boost Map

So, what's next? I'll just drive tomorrow like I've done lately and see how things 'feel' and pay attention to my added boost gauge and JB4 software on the phone.

Quick to resolution!

Good night folks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #260
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Any idea why more boost is actually smoother?
Cause it's a delicious shake?!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #261
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
A smoothie even?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 09:03 PM   #262
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Probably.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #263
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Well thanks to Davy for prodding Terry some more, and thanks for Xcelir8bmw for pushing Terry over the edge. Although I was hoping when I had this put in months ago it would have gained more momentum, but Terry wanted more people and more logs.

Davy, if you never got the jb4 and just slammed it into map 2 and noticed the big difference in mapping I would have never tried. I started conservative with map 1 and Terry quickly helped me with a custom map 6 and I let it be. Map 2 is the real game changer, and again and again I kept on slamming my head against the wall and hitting failsafe time after time and sending logs. Also, the idea to try to take that obdii plug off and peg it . I never got a direct answer why and what is so different with map 2 and if it can just be changed to not get so high. It seems that both Davy and excelir8bmw got some advice to just bump up that baseline safety.

Terry asked me to relog again map 6 with the latest v18 firmware, but now with all the information you two are giving me, then maybe I should raise that limit and also push map 1 and map 2 again. I'll be happy with map 2 if it doesn't shoot up to 33psi. I do have 93 octane regularly and the temperatures are starting to drop. I'm not concerned much about the fueling issues but I'll have to check my timing on map 2. I just don't know how over engineered the piping is and how long and how high of pressure it can take. Almost every day to work I try to roll onto the throttle and merge into people going about 80mph.. It is a start to a good day that I have to go to work!

Keep it up guys! I'll also have to try to take a video of my intake sound for billnchristy to compare intake sounds!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #264
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Just do 93 octane, Map 2, 28 safety to start with growth to 30 probably quickly after like me.

The TDI was in that higher realm with no issues.

And I hammered it at high speed with no issues for hours and hours. Lots of testing!
Appreciate 0