BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Stock Tail Lights to LCI

07-20-2020, 09:34 PM   #23
link_sy
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_1979 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by link_sy View Post
Thanks. I was thinking the same. Do you have any of the links where you found the lights. I started checking on eBay and most of the stuff seems available.
I purchased the lights from www.onlinebmwshop.com, which is actually BMW of West Houston, TX. They have a 10% off coupon that can be used and no sales tax. eBay's a good place to check though, I actually bought the set of outer lights in brand new condition there for $100. Unfortunately USPS cracked them in shipment.
Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #24
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmins View Post
I tried swapping to LED yellow or clear turn signal bulbs (I have the Euro market rear lights with yellow turn signal). I discovered that the LEDs were too bright in the dark, and could distract/annoy the driver behind the car. Has anyone had this problem, and found LED that are not super bright? Thanks.
You think this is a bad thing? You want the tailgaters stay far away from your back.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 10:48 PM   #25
bluemagnet
Private
Rep
Drives: x1 f48 2016

My LED board I think is broken on the rear inner right tail light. Any way to fix the board or do I just fork out for new one? I tried removing the board (white plastic housing on pic) but I may have to de-house the entire tail light. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #26
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemagnet View Post
My LED board I think is broken on the rear inner right tail light. Any way to fix the board or do I just fork out for new one? I tried removing the board (white plastic housing on pic) but I may have to de-house the entire tail light. Thoughts?
Try swapping the other inner tail light to that plug. If it lights up you know you've got a bad unit. Unless you just happen to have extensive knowledge on replacing LED chips or troubleshooting circuit boards, I think the reasonable solution would be to replace the light.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 01:30 AM   #27
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Mounted:

Appreciate 3
      08-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #28
avengerr91
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sdrive18i

Looks really nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #29
psven
Rep
Drives: X4 2021

Can someone please suggest good and bright turn signal and brake light LED bulbs for pre-LCI?
Also would appreciate if they were flickering free
So, where to buy?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 04:06 AM   #30
Timmins
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by psven View Post
Can someone please suggest good and bright turn signal and brake light LED bulbs for pre-LCI?
Also would appreciate if they were flickering free
So, where to buy?
Thanks!
I took another member's suggestion about bought these for the rear turn signals. I like how these bulbs work. I wanted a bulb that wasn't super bright for someone stopped behind my car. I did need to Bimmercode for LED rear turn signal lights to prevent a bulb out error and hyperflashing.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Ambe.../dp/B01A77QQTE
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 10:18 AM   #31
niclas_19
Registered
Rep
Drives: F48

I just wanted to share my experience: Ordered LCI lights from BMW seller. Installed them and changed pinning like explained above. Coding was done via esys and I just disabled the light bulb checks and activated is_led options for the rear lights that changed from bulb to led.

I hope all that coding was enough and I did not miss out something, but lights are working well and and there is no flickering when I start the engine.
Appreciate 3
      11-07-2020, 02:17 AM   #32
link_sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. I was thinking the same. Do you have any of the links where you found the lights. I started checking on eBay and most of the stuff seems available.
I purchased the lights from www.onlinebmwshop.com, which is actually BMW of West Houston, TX. They have a 10% off coupon that can be used and no sales tax. eBay's a good place to check though, I actually bought the set of outer lights in brand new condition there for $100. Unfortunately USPS cracked them in shipment.
Hi

I've been looking on eBay and can't seem to find any second hand ones. Going to order via the link above. Just a couple of questions

- does it make any difference if the car is LHD or RHD. I know it does for headlights so just checking.
- USA market is mainly for i25 and x25 cars. Will it be a problem installing on lesser range cars
- do we need to replace all the bulbs?

Thanks

AJ
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 08:25 AM   #33
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi

I've been looking on eBay and can't seem to find any second hand ones. Going to order via the link above. Just a couple of questions

- does it make any difference if the car is LHD or RHD. I know it does for headlights so just checking.
- USA market is mainly for i25 and x25 cars. Will it be a problem installing on lesser range cars

Thanks

AJ
Being in Sri Lanka, I'd imagine there's a good chance there would be a more affordable alternative to the website I provided a link to. I took a quick glance at ebay and saw multiple sellers with reasonable prices for brand new units, with free worldwide shipping. You'll have to figure that out.

Some regions require amber colored signal housings. If that describes your region, it's a different part number.

There's no difference regarding fitment. If they fit our X1s, they'll fit yours.

Upgrading the bulbs to LED is at your discretion. It's a minimal investment that I would recommend since you're already pulling the light off and upgrading, and digging into the Bimmercode app. But it's up to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #34
link_sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi

Thanks

AJ
Being in Sri Lanka, I'd imagine there's a good chance there would be a more affordable alternative to the website I provided a link to. I took a quick glance at ebay and saw multiple sellers with reasonable prices for brand new units, with free worldwide shipping. You'll have to figure that out.

Some regions require amber colored signal housings. If that describes your region, it's a different part number.

There's no difference regarding fitment. If they fit our X1s, they'll fit yours.

Upgrading the bulbs to LED is at your discretion. It's a minimal investment that I would recommend since you're already pulling the light off and upgrading, and digging into the Bimmercode app. But it's up to you.
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at these options earlier but then again reverted back when you mentioned you got these for cheap. China has the plug and play options too like they do for headlights so that's something as well. Will have a look.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #35
Kansai12
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 xDrive 25d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
Mounted:

Aside from the coding, is this a straight swap from the Pre-LCI M Sport?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #36
jkont
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
If your X1 came with halogen headlights and taillights, there's a wire that will need to be repinned in the plug. Then coding everything to LED via BimmerCode. If you're interested I can take some pics to explain the process.
Do you have any more info on the repinning needed ?

Thank you !!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #37
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkont View Post
Do you have any more info on the repinning needed ?

Thank you !!
https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=13
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #38
jkont
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks , but I need the wiring of the original HALOGEN tailights to LCI Led retrofit.

If you have any info on this , I would appreciate !
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #39
jkont
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niclas_19 View Post
I just wanted to share my experience: Ordered LCI lights from BMW seller. Installed them and changed pinning like explained above. Coding was done via esys and I just disabled the light bulb checks and activated is_led options for the rear lights that changed from bulb to led.

I hope all that coding was enough and I did not miss out something, but lights are working well and and there is no flickering when I start the engine.
You did the retrofit from Halogen to LCI , or from PreLCI to LCI ?

The LCI taillights have a different socket .
What repinning did you use ?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #40
zeidroc
France
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 -Xdrive 125d

Tail lights Halogen to LCI retrofit conversion kit

I have a 2017 X1 F84 Xdrive that comes with halogen tail lights.

Not being so keen on the turn blinkers' orange color, I recently bought the BMW tail lights LCI conversion kit. This comes with new connectors, which differ from the pre-LCI version I have the Bimmercode app, so should hopefully be able to re-code the lights (thanks to JR_1979's helpful tutorial).

Does anyone know how to wire the new connectors however?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #41
zeidroc
France
Rep

I received the kit I bought (cheaper) from a dealer in Germany.

Everything is there, including the new connectors.

I went to see a car mechanic who is knowledgeable about electricals and showed him the kit, with the instructions I had translated into French. The installation differs depending on whether my X1 is currently equipped with halogen lights or LED lights. In short, if I already have Led lights, it's much easier...

But how to know if I'm in one or the other case? I guess the manual refers to the rear lights of course. Mine are from a EU-type January 2017 X1. Its bulbs are halogen type. The front lights: I don't know. They look like Xenon or Led. Not halogen ones anyway.

Any help would be appreciated

Did any of us already do this retrofit?

Attached is an English translation of the original instructions in German.

Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Instructions retrofit feux AR DE.de.en.pdf (497.8 KB, 391 views)
      03-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #42
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeidroc View Post

I went to see a car mechanic who is knowledgeable about electricals and showed him the kit, with the instructions I had translated into French.

Many thanks.
Anyone with electrical knowledge shouldn't even need any instructions. Your rear light has 4 functions: brake, signal, drl, and running lights. Test each function in the plug and connect accordingly. It shouldn't take more than 10-20 minutes to determine, then repeat on the opposite side. I suppose if someone else has already done the work and can share it with you, great, but if not, it's still not a hard job to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 12:58 PM   #43
jkont
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeidroc View Post
I received the kit I bought (cheaper) from a dealer in Germany.

Everything is there, including the new connectors.

I went to see a car mechanic who is knowledgeable about electricals and showed him the kit, with the instructions I had translated into French. The installation differs depending on whether my X1 is currently equipped with halogen lights or LED lights. In short, if I already have Led lights, it's much easier...

But how to know if I'm in one or the other case? I guess the manual refers to the rear lights of course. Mine are from a EU-type January 2017 X1. Its bulbs are halogen type. The front lights: I don't know. They look like Xenon or Led. Not halogen ones anyway.

Any help would be appreciated

Did any of us already do this retrofit?

Attached is an English translation of the original instructions in German.

Many thanks.
Hello my friend.

I told you that you will need two more wires (each for every outer taillight) with the connectors.
This is because the outer taillights have 3 wires on the Halogen type light , but every LED taillight has 4 wires connected.
The extra wires have to be connected on the 42 pin of the 258 5B and the 258 3B module of the BDC BODY.

If you haven't buy the extra wires and the connectos (you obviously haven't) , you can order them now.

The final step is to code your BDC BODY.

Last edited by jkont; 03-18-2021 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      03-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #44
zeidroc
France
Rep

Smile

Yes, I recall this now. Thanks for reminding me of this.

I don't have the wires but no doubt my mechanic will easily create ones and will connect them where needed.

With hindsight, I'm unsure I would go again with spending EUR 600+ on such a tricky venture!

Thank you for your input guys