BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2019 F48 engine slight vibration on cold start

07-05-2023, 07:11 PM   #1
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F48 X1 sDrive

2019 F48 engine slight vibration on cold start

Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster.

my 2019 F48 sDrive (gas) with 37k miles/60k km recently have been creating a slight vibration noise when I start the car up after a cold start and I drive off immediately. it will go away almost immediately after when the car is warmed up, no more vibration noise. Can be heard, but not to the point where you can feel it inside of the car. Any idea what this might be? Seems like engine mounts do have a tendency to go on these cars, could this be a worn engine mount then?

Thanks a lot in advance guys
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 02:19 AM   #2
678hug
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 2.0i XLine

Got exactly the same on mine but it's only done 30k. I have my phone in a holder attached to the dash which vibrates for about 20-30 seconds after engine start (even on a warm day).

Once it disappears, it doesn't come back. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 09:42 AM   #3
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 678hug View Post
Got exactly the same on mine but it's only done 30k. I have my phone in a holder attached to the dash which vibrates for about 20-30 seconds after engine start (even on a warm day).

Once it disappears, it doesn't come back. Weird.
Oh… mine doesn’t vibrate that much. I got a phone mount too but it doesn’t vibrate. Mine’s way less than that, maybe a couple seconds max and you can hear it but cant be felt. Definitely sounds like its coming from engine bay though

We could be facing the same problem, maybe just on different scale. Wonder what this vibration could be…
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 10:29 AM   #4
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphirschwarz.f48 View Post
Oh… mine doesn’t vibrate that much. I got a phone mount too but it doesn’t vibrate. Mine’s way less than that, maybe a couple seconds max and you can hear it but cant be felt. Definitely sounds like its coming from engine bay though

We could be facing the same problem, maybe just on different scale. Wonder what this vibration could be…
Did you check the engine mounts?
      07-06-2023, 06:26 PM   #5
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Did you check the engine mounts?
Havent taken a look at it, but I suspect that might be the cause? Although the vibration goes away and doesn’t happen once the car is warmed up. Could be an early sign of a bad engine mount though, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 10:55 AM   #6
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Havent taken a look at it, but I suspect that might be the cause? Although the vibration goes away and doesn’t happen once the car is warmed up. Could be an early sign of a bad engine mount though, right?
Yes, it's possible. You can also feel some slight shimmy on the steering wheel when driving. It's common to confuse it with a bad wheel alignment.

Talking about engine mounts, you have one on the top and another below the engine.

It's easy to see if the top engine mount is gone. On the passenger side, on the side of the engine, you can't miss the cracked engine mount and will see some oil spits here and there.

More info here: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1858812
Attached Images

07-08-2023, 07:22 AM   #7
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it's possible. You can also feel some slight shimmy on the steering wheel when driving. It's common to confuse it with a bad wheel alignment.

Talking about engine mounts, you have one on the top and another below the engine.

It's easy to see if the top engine mount is gone. On the passenger side, on the side of the engine, you can't miss the cracked engine mount and will see some oil spits here and there.

Thanks jrveron. I don’t have any shimmys in the steering wheel so far-probably not severe enough yet -but yeah suspecting engine mount is going out. Will prob take a look under the hood when I’m free

678hug, maybe it’s the same problem on your car too. After all engine mounts do have a bit of a… reputation on the F48
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 05:08 PM   #8
678hug
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Checked mine today. All looked fine. My vibration is very minor but was noticeable from the day i picked the car up (3.5 years old at that point). Most of the time i don't even notice it and may just be me being picky.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 08:25 PM   #9
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 678hug View Post
Checked mine today. All looked fine. My vibration is very minor but was noticeable from the day i picked the car up (3.5 years old at that point). Most of the time i don't even notice it and may just be me being picky.
Is your vibration getting worse? Mine’s been making itself more audible the past few days. There’s definitely a vibration that isn’t there before. Just wondering, how many miles your car had when you bought it?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 06:53 AM   #10
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:

What do you mean with shimmy? I sometimes feel pull to right under braking but when I slip the steering wheel the car still goes straight, so could also be tracks in the road (we don't have the flattest roads here). Got an alignment in March after I clipped a curb so alignment is almost spot on.

Cannot see clearly if mount is cracked. Looks OK from the top.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 09:45 AM   #11
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
What do you mean with shimmy? I sometimes feel pull to right under braking but when I slip the steering wheel the car still goes straight, so could also be tracks in the road (we don't have the flattest roads here). Got an alignment in March after I clipped a curb so alignment is almost spot on.

Cannot see clearly if mount is cracked. Looks OK from the top.
Hi there! In your case, seems like a problem with your brakes, possibly air in the lines or something worse. When was the last time you purge your brakes and changed the brake fluid?

I don't want to scare you, but this could be potentially a life-threatening issue. Please, go to a shop and check it ASAP.
      07-10-2023, 12:13 PM   #12
678hug
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Is your vibration getting worse? Mine’s been making itself more audible the past few days. There’s definitely a vibration that isn’t there before. Just wondering, how many miles your car had when you bought it?
Only had my car 3 weeks. 32k on the clock
My vibration is minor and can be felt in steering wheel and brake pedal when stationary.
Nothing noticeable when moving
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 03:54 AM   #13
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi there! In your case, seems like a problem with your brakes, possibly air in the lines or something worse. When was the last time you purge your brakes and changed the brake fluid?

I don't want to scare you, but this could be potentially a life-threatening issue. Please, go to a shop and check it ASAP.
Thanks for the warning. I have already appointment at the end of this month for changing brake pads back under service agreement. Dealer also changed brake fluid February this year as part of this service agreement, so I will let them recheck this aswell.

Side note: This BMW service agreement has ridiculous oil interval of 30 000 KM. Will refresh oil this autumn after I have driven 15k km (oil was also serviced this february)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #14
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the warning. I have already appointment at the end of this month for changing brake pads back under service agreement. Dealer also changed brake fluid February this year as part of this service agreement, so I will let them recheck this aswell.

Side note: This BMW service agreement has ridiculous oil interval of 30 000 KM. Will refresh oil this autumn after I have driven 15k km (oil was also serviced this february)
What?! 30k kms for an oil change? I don't think the BMW Condition-Based Servicing (through iDrive) lets you wait that long. Even long-lasting oils I know will go up to 20k kms, although I never wait that long, a maximum of 10k kms.
      07-11-2023, 03:05 PM   #15
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What?! 30k kms for an oil change? I don't think the BMW Condition-Based Servicing (through iDrive) lets you wait that long. Even long-lasting oils I know will go up to 20k kms, although I never wait that long, a maximum of 10k kms.
Mine VO is with 8KA…

Wonder what happens if I VO-code it under service-agreement
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:24 PM   #16
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mine VO is with 8KA…

Wonder what happens if I VO-code it under service-agreement
I stick to the 10k km/6k mi interval as well… 30k, and even 20k, sounds like way too long to go between each oil change.

Also, the irony of our situations mrpingu… I book an appointment for the repair for vibration next week and my service advisor says he’ll change the brakes too as they’re almost due (CBS says I have 1400mi/2200km on the rear pads left) how very coincidental
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 11:18 AM   #17
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep

Just got my car back from the dealer… engine mount and gearbox mount was replaced. car drives smooth like butter now

Also noticed that starting up the engine and auto stop start is also way smoother than it used to be on the old mounts (even long before the old mounts were worn)… safe to assume this is because of the new engine mount design? From my understanding BMW did revise the design for the F48 engine mounts.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 12:03 PM   #18
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just got my car back from the dealer… engine mount and gearbox mount was replaced. car drives smooth like butter now

Also noticed that starting up the engine and auto stop start is also way smoother than it used to be on the old mounts (even long before the old mounts were worn)… safe to assume this is because of the new engine mount design? From my understanding BMW did revise the design for the F48 engine mounts.
Nice! How much did you end up paying if I may ASK?
I don’t think it is because new design if you read here, they are not convinced:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/339406-f56-cooper-s-upper-engine-mount-replacement-8.html?ispreloading=1
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 12:44 PM   #19
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:

Glad you sorted it out .

While there have been several iterations of that component already (more rubber, fluid, not fluid, etc.), probably is because they are brand new.
mrpingu187.50
      07-19-2023, 12:43 AM   #20
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep

Quote:
Glad you sorted it out .

While there have been several iterations of that component already (more rubber, fluid, not fluid, etc.), probably is because they are brand new.
No doubt the fact it’s brand new helps, but I could have sworn it feels smoother than it did even when it was brand new some 38k miles ago. Especially the auto stopstart, it’s way smoother than I ever knew it to be. Barely noticeable at all.

Anyways I’m just glad my car is running perfect just the way it should
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 12:52 AM   #21
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep

Quote:
Nice! How much did you end up paying if I may ASK?
My car’s still under warranty, the mounts were covered under it so all free
If you’re out of warranty, if I gotta guess a good number, I’d say high hundreds to low 1k?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 04:42 AM   #22
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My car’s still under warranty, the mounts were covered under it so all free
If you’re out of warranty, if I gotta guess a good number, I’d say high hundreds to low 1k?
Lucky you, I just saw mine are lowered aswell but mine is out of warranty… I didn’t know about this when I bought the car(second hand from dec) so don’t know how long it has been that way. Anyway, I don’t feel much vibrations yet so I’ll keep driving a little bit more and then get the tools to do the job myself I think. Just have to get a quote first…

Obviously this is a design fault but it is not listed anywhere So probably end up paying either in cash or in time…
Appreciate 0