BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Transmission Error

07-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #23
Mukwambo
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

Fixed

Fixed - small mod made inside the shifter. Local expert says its a common issue. Alternatively, change the shifter but the issue might reappear as there’s a weakness in design.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #24
jkont
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

I have the exact same error .
I own a 11/2016 18D X1 F48.
Since so many people have the same issue , I think that BMW should accept their responcibility and make a recall.
Forcing people to pay around 900€ for a faulty part is unfair at least.
Appreciate 2
iceman7117.00
      07-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #25
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukwambo View Post
Fixed - small mod made inside the shifter. Local expert says its a common issue. Alternatively, change the shifter but the issue might reappear as there’s a weakness in design.
Mukwambo, will you be so kind to share with us your finding / fix?
Your help for other members will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #26
Shipa
Rep

Hello everyone!
Faced similar issue on my X1 f48 18d 2016. Local experts in Ukraine are not able to fix the problem so far. As per their words, wiring is undamaged and solenoid works properly also. Would highly appreicate if someone (especially Mukwambo) could explain how to fix this issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #27
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Reading the thread again, I realized now that the issue appear frequently on X1 F48 18d produced in 2016.
Does anybody have the issue on other version of this X1 F48?
Or on the same model 18d, but from another year?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #28
jkont
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
Mukwambo, will you be so kind to share with us your finding / fix?
Your help for other members will be highly appreciated.
I don't think you will have an answer from him , about his "fix" .
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:27 PM   #29
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkont View Post
I don't think you will have an answer from him , about his "fix" .
Why ?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:38 AM   #30
Shipa
Rep

Is there any sense to go with this problem to BMW dealer right now if the car is out of wararanty? Or they would simply say to change shifter.
If someone has already changed shifter and solved the problem, could you please share the part numbers of what being replaced to see the cost at least...

How do you think if we will right some kind of mutual claim letter to BMW Germany?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 05:19 AM   #31
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
I see you’re showing as having an X2, in which case it seems you may be posting on the wrong forum as there’s a separate one for X2 drivers - the F39 Forum.
Having said that, my X1 will only start with the foot brake applied and that is a standard application on all F48 X1s, certainly in the U.K. and mechanically the cars are pretty much the same.
I owned a 16 x1 for 3 years. Besides that, the running gear is the same and every modern automatic on the planet requires foot on brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 07:35 AM   #32
flyingkenneth
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 Xline

I have exactly the same problem on my 2016 X1 F48 20i. My garage used the diagnosis tool to check the fault and it appears it was caused by a faulty solenoids on the shift stick. My understanding in layman terms it’s that the Parking mode signal from the shift stick didn’t get sent to the computer hence the car still thought it is still in D mode, seems to be a common issue for those cars with Aisin gearbox.

My estimate is that it will cost around 1000USD to fix for parts and labour. So I think I will just leave it for the time being as it doesn’t really affect the drivability or safety.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 07:51 AM   #33
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I owned a 16 x1 for 3 years. Besides that, the running gear is the same and every modern automatic on the planet requires foot on brake.
and there's the fact that the x1 and x2 are 90% mechanically the same, so I view the x1 forum as a valid place for discussions where the item would apply to both models.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #34
jkont
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipa View Post
Is there any sense to go with this problem to BMW dealer right now if the car is out of wararanty? Or they would simply say to change shifter.
If someone has already changed shifter and solved the problem, could you please share the part numbers of what being replaced to see the cost at least...

How do you think if we will right some kind of mutual claim letter to BMW Germany?
I totally agree with the claim letter idea.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2019, 01:51 AM   #35
Shipa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkont View Post
I totally agree with the claim letter idea.
It is going without saying that this is the common issue and we shouldn't suffer because of weak design after 35k km (my case)

Who would agree to write such letter? I think English native person would be better at any case. And we need as many people as possible thus our problem could be really heared. We need to state all VIN numbers, odometer values and our contact details. Such kind of letter should be emailed to kundenbetreuung@bmw.de with all our emails in CC line.
Appreciate 1
StefanJ68.00
      08-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #36
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It is going without saying that this is the common issue and we shouldn't suffer because of weak design after 35k km (my case)

Who would agree to write such letter? I think English native person would be better at any case. And we need as many people as possible thus our problem could be really heared. We need to state all VIN numbers, odometer values and our contact details. Such kind of letter should be emailed to kundenbetreuung@bmw.de with all our emails in CC line.
I agree and subscribe to the proposal.
Now let's find the English native person, with the same problem as ours.
I think that a draft of the letter should be post here, in order to be agreed by everyone involved.
Posting a thread about this letter, here and on other forums, could help us to have a large number of persons who will sign.

I think the letter should be concise, containing the description of the error and a demand to BMW for technical investigation of the problem. Of course, our details, as Shipa suggested.

So, let's start !

Last edited by StefanJ; 08-01-2019 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 05:58 AM   #37
Shipa
Rep

Letter draft

This is my draft of the letter (attached doc file will be with correct table). Corrections/proposals are only welcomed.
We need to collect as many people as possible...

+++
Dear BMW Customer Service Team,

We are the owners of BMW X1 F48 vehicle located in different countries and even continents. Unfortunately we are obligated to apply to you about the common worldwide problem currently existing in the gearbox module of the vehicles.

During the parking of our vehicles (gearbox shifter in P position) and turning off the engines, iDrive system shows the following message:
“Secure vehicle with parking brake when stationary.
Have the problem checked by Service Partner.”

This happens each and every time and also when the vehicle is parked on level ground. The error will remain even if the parking brake is applied. After turn on the engine again and put the shifter either in R or D position, error goes away.

Error computer diagnostic shows the code "420106" - Shiftlock solenoid: Selector lever wrongly not locked in P.

Here is the list of the vehicles with contact details of the owners who have faced aforesaid problems:
No. Vehicle VIN No. Engine type Year of manufacture Country Odometer
value Contact details
1 WBAHT710505G29287 18d 2016 Ukraine 34 956 km +380663814185
shipilov.oleg@yahoo.com

We found each other with a help of one of the biggest BMW global forums - bimmerpost.com where we as your clients and BMW fans have the rights to exchange our minds about service, different kind of improvements, etc. and sometimes unfortunately problems. After studying this issue, we came to know the problem most likely is either in weak design of gearbox shifter unit or in gearbox mechatronic unit and unfortunately it is common for BMW models F48, F39, F45 and F46. At the same time, BMW hasn’t announced any recall procedure, despite the fact that both of the units mentioned are quite expensive and definitely shouldn’t appear after such odometer values we have.

We believe that BMW being the worldwide famous company who cares about its clients worldwide should put its strong attention to this issue, technically investigate the problem and fix it either by recall procedure or by Kulanz program, i.e. not to forward this issue for attention on the level of our local dealers, since, as far as you may see, the problem has a common worldwide character and definitely has negative influence on BMW overall reputation.

Rely on your co-operation and positive reply.
+++
Attached Files
File Type: doc Letter draft to BMW.doc (31.0 KB, 1277 views)
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2019, 06:18 AM   #38
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Quote:
This is my draft of the letter (attached doc file will be with correct table). Corrections/proposals are only welcomed.
We need to collect as many people as possible...

+++
Dear BMW Customer Service Team,

We are the owners of BMW X1 F48 vehicles located in different countries and even continents. Unfortunately we are obliged to bring to your attention what appears to be a common worldwide problem currently existing in the gearbox modules of these vehicles.

During the parking of our vehicles (gearbox shifter in P position) and after turning off the engine, the iDrive system shows the following messages:
“Secure vehicle with parking brake when stationary.”
“Have the problem checked by Service Partner.”

This happens each and every time and also when the vehicle is parked on level ground the error will remain even if the parking brake is applied. After turning on the engine again and putting the shifter either in R or D position, the error goes away.

Error computer diagnostic shows the code "420106" - Shiftlock solenoid: Selector lever wrongly not locked in P.

Here is the list of the vehicles with contact details of the owners who have faced aforesaid problems:
No. Vehicle VIN No. Engine type Year of manufacture Country Odometer
value Contact details
1 WBAHT710505G29287 18d 2016 Ukraine 34 956 km +380663814185
shipilov.oleg@yahoo.com

We found each other with the help of one of the biggest BMW global forums - bimmerpost.com where we as your clients and BMW fans, have exchanged our opinions regarding BMW’s service and different kinds of improvements, etc. and sometimes unfortunately problems. After studying this issue, we came to the opinion that the problem most likely is either in weak design of the gearbox shifter unit or in the gearbox mechatronic unit and unfortunately is a common problem for BMW models F48, F39, F45 and F46. We are concerned that BMW hasn’t announced any recall procedure, despite the fact that both of the units mentioned are quite expensive and definitely shouldn’t appear after such low odometer readings that are displayed.

We believe that BMW being the worldwide famous company who cares about its clients should put its strong attention to this issue, technically investigate the problem and fix it either by recall procedure or by a goodwill program and not merely forward this issue for the attention of our local dealers to resolve in isolation. We believe the problem has a common worldwide character and definitely has a negative influence on BMW overall reputation.

Rely on your co-operation and positive reply.
+++
Some minor changes if you will permit me to offer.

Last edited by Beagler; 08-03-2019 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #39
Shipa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
Some minor changes if you will permit me to offer.
Sure. This is the draft only. All changes or suggestions are only appreciated.
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      08-03-2019, 09:01 AM   #40
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sure. This is the draft only. All changes or suggestions are only appreciated.
I'm waiting for Beagler's suggestions, because I want to propose some.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #41
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
I'm waiting for Beagler's suggestions, because I want to propose some.
If you read the letter in my post it is my ammendments.
      08-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #42
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
If you read the letter in my post it is my ammendments.
Sorry, I thought it will be attached as a doc file type. Now I saw it and I have only one question: what is "Kulanz"? I never heard about this in Romania.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #43
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Have found “Goodwill” as a translation and amended the letter.

Last edited by Beagler; 08-03-2019 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #44
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Now I think it's time to make the list with the persons who have the problem and who want to be mentioned in the letter.
As many as we are, as many chances we have to push BMW to investigate the problem.

Here are my details for the letter:
WBAHT710105G22160, sDrive 18d, 2016, 134950 km, Romania, stefanjadex[at]gmail.com

Who want to gather all the info and to send the letter?
Appreciate 0