BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Transmission Fluid Question

12-29-2023, 12:11 PM   #1
HanseDavion
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Transmission Fluid Question

Has anyone ever changed the transmission fluid on their X2?

I was told that my 2019 M35i needed new fluid at my last service (about 50K miles). But after doing some research online, it appears this may not be the case? Some have said not to touch the fluid in the transmission until at least 75-100k.

I was recently quoted $1,604 for a full transmission fluid flush from a dealer in California.

I haven't had any issues as far as I can tell. However, a few weeks ago I got a warning for a "Drivetrain Malfunction" stating full power may not be available. The warning went away the next time I started the car and hasn't appeared since. So I am thinking a fault with a sensor or something.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 12:26 PM   #2
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanseDavion View Post
Has anyone ever changed the transmission fluid on their X2?

I was told that my 2019 M35i needed new fluid at my last service (about 50K miles). But after doing some research online, it appears this may not be the case? Some have said not to touch the fluid in the transmission until at least 75-100k.

I was recently quoted $1,604 for a full transmission fluid flush from a dealer in California.

I haven't had any issues as far as I can tell. However, a few weeks ago I got a warning for a "Drivetrain Malfunction" stating full power may not be available. The warning went away the next time I started the car and hasn't appeared since. So I am thinking a fault with a sensor or something.
Could be a weak or dying battery. If you take it to the dealership they will charge you just for diagnosing the check engine light.

I hate going to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:57 AM   #3
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

There's almost no way the transmission fluid needs replacement at 50K miles (or even 150K). Unless you've been doing the 5-step launch mode burnout daily.

At $1600 it's pretty clear why the dealer wants to do the work.

You should pull the codes to see why the drivetrain error popped. But it's not the fluid. If that were the case, it wouldn't go away.
Appreciate 1
Rich80766.00