BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Clearing maintainance codes

11-26-2023, 11:46 AM   #1
Vza
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Clearing maintainance codes

Hi All, 2018 x2 x drive. I have 2 codes I want to clear regarding brakes. One is for front brake pads which I already replaced and cleared maybe a year ago. Still 50% on the pads. Now it's back again ( says reset failed.) The other says brake system drive carefully see BMW (paraphrasing can't remember exactly). I just replaced rear rotors and pads. Thanks V
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 05:40 PM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Did you replace the sensor wires or reused the old ones?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 12:09 PM   #3
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Also, how did you clear the codes? Was it with a BMW-specific reader?

There are some brake service parameters in addition to the codes, where the "% good" is entered. On my X2 for some odd reason it says 253%, so I have no idea what's expected or normal.

That message might have some side effects btw, I'd expect DSC and possibly ABS to pay some attention to it. As it says, drive carefully until you can resolve whatever the trigger is.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 12:26 AM   #4
Vza
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Sorry thought I posted a reply. I replaced the fronts and cleared the code from the dash a year ago. The brake warning light on the dash was lit(recently) cause it needed rear rotors and pads per dealership. I did that work myself. So now I was able to clear the rear pad warning from the dash. I now have a remaining front pad warning which fails to reset(I don't know why the front pad warning is there when I have 50% of pad life left.) and the brake a message saying take it for brake service. All brakes are done all around. Thanks v
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 10:47 AM   #5
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Huh, I wasn't aware you could clear a brake service message using a menu from the dash.

In any event, the car systems have no clue as to exactly how much brake pad material is left, unless the wear sensor touches the rotor. And even then, it's only a fail-safe kind of indication - a simple yes or no. Internally to the brake controller, there's a running estimate based on miles and brake activity such as application time and deceleration statistics.

Sounds to me that the estimates need to be reset. That's going to take a BMW-specific scanner.
Appreciate 0