BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Stay on your Toes if you Run Front Plateless

12-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

skenedesign looks interesting but they don't list the X1 yet - not sure if it would be that different from the X3 or some other model they do list. Still requires too small holes, according to the description...looks like they would be just under the lip.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #24
Stockton
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

In Texas, the section that speiies a penalty for a no front plate isolation was left out this year. Therefore, no penalty, no crime for 2012. They can write you a ticket, but it will be dismissed due to no penalty to reference. Hehehehe.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #25
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockton View Post
In Texas, the section that speiies a penalty for a no front plate isolation was left out this year. Therefore, no penalty, no crime for 2012. They can write you a ticket, but it will be dismissed due to no penalty to reference. Hehehehe.
o wow that is very interesting thanks for letting me know.

Both my 2008 VW Rabbit and my 128i both came without front plates when I bought them new. They were both in the trunk when I purchased the car. Never been pulled over >_>. But I see lots of cars with no front plates in Dallas all the time
      12-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWBMW View Post
So, I'm an Alaskan state resident and my '12 335xi is registered in Alaska (inspected in NY) and I drive in NY. Both Alaska and New York are 2 plate states. I only drive with a back plate, because I'm under the assumption that NY police can't ticket me for violating an Alaska state law, and NY police can't ticket an out of state car for violating a NY specific law. Do you think I've found a loophole? I hope, because I just bought a custom Euro plate for the front. Thoughts? Thanks!
So wait a sec, you don't like to run a required-by-law American plate on the front of your car, but you will run a European plate?

Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #27
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

"Missing something"? American drivers want to be Europeans, and vise versa. Should see the thread about baby shark fin.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockton View Post
They might plug that hole in Jan 2013 when state legislature is in session.

Anyways, talking to a friend who is an officer here, he said they don't normally bother pulling people over for no front plate except to use it as an pretense to look for something else, i.e. drugs, DUI etc.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #29
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpao
Does Cali require you to have the plate mounted on the bumper or just on the front of the vehicle somewhere? I have friends who used to velcro their front plate (Massachusetts) to the passenger visor and whenever they drove by a cop, they'd flip the visor down lol.
Yes the Cali laws are pretty specific. Furthermore if you place a license plate anywhere visible through the windshield the kind of cop that'd give you a front plate ticket can now give you TWO. One for improper front plate placement and another for windshield obstruction.

In NorCal I was lucky enough to live without a front plate on my A4 for 2 years. The Audi FP holder is another front bumper filler, which is hundreds of dollars. No thanks, I'll eat 2 or 3 tickets before it becomes financially advantageous to get front plates

This time I am thinking I will just cave in to the law and ask for my front bumper to be drilled.
      01-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #30
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

I run a tow hook plate now. Too much hassle to run to PD to get tickets signed off. Gives me a piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #31
Hothonda
***EX-NSX***
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 TT

Here's my recent experience:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...07&postcount=4

991 TT, 200 Land Cruiser
2 prior BMW 3 & 5 series & 2013 Limerock M3
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #32
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
So I was waiting in the left hand turn lane and a cop crosses in front of me heading in the direction that I was turning. As he crossed in front of me he looked right at me, and I was quite aware that I didnt have a front plate(even though I have been running without a front plate for three and a half years with no problems). So I said to myself, I will bet this guy pulls over to wait until I pass him and jumps on my tail.

Sure enough, when I made my left turn I saw him pulled over on the right hand side. I didnt know if he was waiting for me or not, but I wasnt going to take the chance. I immediately pulled into the parking lot on the immediate right (in front of the Casket Outlet LOL) pulled in next to a minivan and started reading a book. After about five minutes I pulled out and made my right hand turn back the way I was going. As I did so, I looked left and a similar cruiser was pulling through the intersection going away from the way I was going.

Sure he probably got a call, pulled over, and ended up reversing his course to go to an incident, but I had a funny feeling he was looking for me. Then again maybe I am a bit jumpy from seeing The Hobbit yesterday.

I know, CSB.

lol...thats funny.
But you gotta do what you gotta do to escape tickets to keep your things intact !!!
Appreciate 0