BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) LED low beam, colour difference

10-17-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
Tale
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d xDrive 2016

LED low beam, colour difference

My X1 has non adaptive LED lights with ”extended” features, in practice cornering lights and auto high beam.

I have noticed that the low beam LED has different colours at the edges. The driver side has red where light cuts off and passenger is more purple. I can not tell if brightness or distance has any differences.

Is this normal? Could it be a early sign that the bulb is wearing out?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #2
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Pretty sure it's just the nature of LED bulbs in a projector lens
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 03:36 AM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_1979 View Post
Pretty sure it's just the nature of LED bulbs in a projector lens
Also the angle at which light hits the lens plastic/glass.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 1
DJI0010.00
      10-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
Tale
Rep

Thanks, nothing to worry about then. But there is also other thing bugging me, is the right side light aimed lower than left? And is that normal? (Left side traffic)

And second thing, are the high beams halogen with these ”entry” level LED lights? The owner manual states that they are LED, but I think they are actually halogen and thats what the bimmercode-app states as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
Thanks, nothing to worry about then. But there is also other thing bugging me, is the right side light aimed lower than left? And is that normal? (Left side traffic)

And second thing, are the high beams halogen with these ”entry” level LED lights? The owner manual states that they are LED, but I think they are actually halogen and thats what the bimmercode-app states as well.
Based on the pic you provided I don't see anything wrong, but they may need to be adjusted. Measure from the floor to the center of your headlight. Park approx 25' from a wall and see how the beams line up. If one is (or both are) higher/lower than the measurement you took, there are adjustment screws located on the top of the headlight housing. Using a phillips head screwdriver, adjust as needed.

As far as bulb types, the simplest answer would be to look. You have two circular covers that can be opened by rotating counter-clockwise. One on the top of the headlight housing, one on the rear. Even if you do have halogen high beams, which you probably do, most people don't use them enough for it to be anything concerning. If it is an issue, you can easily swap them out for LED without much fuss.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

In the UK the standard headlights on my 2018 X1 (F48) xLine are LED. Both dip and main beam are, so far as I'm concerned, very good. I should think the light 'colour' would be noticeably different if the main beam was only halogen.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 04:44 AM   #7
Tale
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
In the UK the standard headlights on my 2018 X1 (F48) xLine are LED. Both dip and main beam are, so far as I'm concerned, very good. I should think the light 'colour' would be noticeably different if the main beam was only halogen.
Strange that it would depend on country, but its possible ofc.

Here’s photo of my high beam, for me it looks like halogen. What do you think?

Bimmerapp shows ”halogen” for high beam bulb, but car manual states LED for high beam. Car has no mods done to it and has the factory LED lights with extended features.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tale; 11-02-2020 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: Added photo
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 10:10 PM   #8
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:

If you are In the UK then the right side light should be lower than the left.

It's the opposite for countries which drive on the right side of the road.

It's so you don't blind oncoming traffic.

And it's quite simple to pull the light out and check if yours is halogen or LED. But to me it looks like your lights are halogen, they have a "richer" pallet of color let's say, where as LEDs emit only a specific wavelength (or color) of light.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 02:02 AM   #9
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Strange that it would depend on country, but its possible ofc.

Here’s photo of my high beam, for me it looks like halogen. What do you think?

Bimmerapp shows ”halogen” for high beam bulb, but car manual states LED for high beam. Car has no mods done to it and has the factory LED lights with extended features.
If your car has LED headlights both dip and main beam are LED.
The LED units are not removable in the same way as halogen, which simply click into place in the bulb holder. So best leave well alone and if you aren’t sure, ask your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 07:45 PM   #10
DJI001
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2012 & BMW X1 M-Sport

I've just bought a 2019 X1 and noticed that the right LED is of a purple colours where's the left on is almost white, any reason for this ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0