BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Has my used X1 been chipped/modded?

03-23-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
mighty-x1
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Has my used X1 been chipped/modded?

Hi everyone,

First time posting here. I'm in a unique position right now possessing two of the same year/model X1's (temporarily) and I'm looking to see if anyone has insight into my observation and experience about the "personality" of the transmissions.

I have a 2017 X1 xLine that I leased for 3 years. Great car, absolutely love everything about it. The only downside was the lack of packages/features in it. The lease ends this month so I did some research and found a different 2017 X1 with M Sport Package (CPO) for sale and bought it. I have both in my driveway for a few weeks until I return the lease. Both are 28i xDrive models

I'm surprised by how different these two vehicles behave in terms of upshifts. It's night and day how different these cars accelerate and I'm starting to wonder if the previous owner of the M Sport X1 did some kind of mod to increase horsepower or something.

Observation 1: xLine
Quick and sporty upshifts all through the gear range. It's fun, I like it and it's what I've become used to over 3 years of driving it.

Observation 2: M Sport Package
Almost redlines every gear before shifting to the next as long as the pedal is down. I don't like it. Despite the aggressive shifting it actually feels slower because of how long it takes to get through the gears.

Most members on a forum like this probably already know that the M Sport Package does NOT actually affect anything with engine or transmission. No special tuning or anything like that. The M Sport Package is primarily interior/exterior cosmetic upgrades as well as a tweaked suspension.

Has anyone here owned multiple F48 X1's that have similar experiences?

How can I determine if something in the car's software has been modified or chipped?

Thanks!

Last edited by mighty-x1; 03-23-2021 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: adding engine and drivetrain info
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty-x1 View Post
Hi everyone,

First time posting here. I'm in a unique position right now possessing two of the same year/model X1's (temporarily) and I'm looking to see if anyone has insight into my observation and experience about the "personality" of the transmissions.

I have a 2017 X1 xLine that I leased for 3 years. Great car, absolutely love everything about it. The only downside was the lack of packages/features in it. The lease ends this month so I did some research and found a different 2017 X1 with M Sport Package (CPO) for sale and bought it. I have both in my driveway for a few weeks until I return the lease.

I'm surprised by how different these two vehicles behave in terms of upshifts. It's night and day how different these cars accelerate and I'm starting to wonder if the previous owner of the M Sport X1 did some kind of mod to increase horsepower or something.

Observation 1: xLine
Quick and sporty upshifts all through the gear range. It's fun, I like it and it's what I've become used to over 3 years of driving it.

Observation 2: M Sport Package
Almost redlines every gear before shifting to the next as long as the pedal is down. I don't like it. Despite the aggressive shifting it actually feels slower because of how long it takes to get through the gears.

Most members on a forum like this probably already know that the M Sport Package does NOT actually affect anything with engine or transmission. No special tuning or anything like that. The M Sport Package is primarily interior/exterior cosmetic upgrades as well as a tweaked suspension.

Has anyone here owned multiple F48 X1's that have similar experiences?

How can I determine if something in the car's software has been modified or chipped?

Thanks!
Same engine ? 20i/30i, from memory is there not two auto boxes available, one a DCT and one more like a standard TC box ? one a 7 speed one an 8 ??? or one is an auto and one is a sport auto that maybe configured differently.

Last edited by plagm; 03-23-2021 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 04:31 PM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not so in every case, please read on.....

In the UK, my 2020 LCI X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport has individual drive settings using the 3 position large rocker switch next to the auto shift lever that is labelled Sport/Eco Pro.

My M Sport UK car has sport automatic transmission. Flappy paddles.

There are 3 settings when the ignition is on as follows and configurable in the iDrive menu in the car with adaptive suspension
(I have a photo that I can upload later). Note. I have the adaptive suspension that changes the Chassis selection (a and c)

The M Sport without adaptive suspension has a lower suspension than the one with adaptive.

1. Sport configurable with the rocker switch selected forwards giving:

a) Drivetrain (Sporty) & Chassis (adaptive)
or
b) Drivetrain (Sporty)
or
c) Chassis (adaptive)

2. The central position is the default when you start up and is called Comfort.

3. Eco Pro (configurable)

Questions.
1. Does your car have adaptive suspension? Have you looked in the iDrive menu?
2. Does your car have the 3 settings (Sport, Comfort, Eco Pro) stated above?
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 03-23-2021 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:14 PM   #4
mighty-x1
Rep

Hi plagm

I don't really know how to answer your question about DCT or TC. I can tell you that both vehicles are USA spec 28i xDrive models with a 2.0 turbo four. I've also pulled spec sheets from vin decoder sites for both and can't find any obvious difference to call out here.

Edit:
Okay I took a test drive and confirmed that the M Sport has 8 gears which I believe excludes it from having DCT because it is my understanding that DCT only has 7 gears.

Last edited by mighty-x1; 03-24-2021 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: more info about DCT
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:23 PM   #5
mighty-x1
Rep

Hi Peter_R

Thanks for the comments. My M Sport does not have adaptive suspension but it does have the 3-way rocker for eco/comfort/sport (I think all F48 X1's have that switch). And there are no options regarding transmission or driving modes available through the iDrive system. Believe me I have looked and looked and looked.

I do believe it is fact after speaking with many BMW dealers and geniuses that the M Sport Package does not change engine tuning in any way. With that said, the M Sport does have paddle shifters where the xLine does not but that still isn't a clear indication to me that it should drive so differently in automatic mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:28 PM   #6
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Take it to a dealer and ask them to hook it up and see if it's been tuned.

Or check for a piggyback adapter in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:49 AM   #7
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Peter_R

M Sport does have paddle shifters where the xLine does not but that still isn't a clear indication to me that it should drive so differently in automatic mode.
If I were you, I would speak to the dealer with regards to the software standard of the ECU on the M Sport, with the intention of it being reset to the latest just in case it has been altered by the previous owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Or check for a piggyback adapter in the engine bay.

Yes agreed. This would be part of the check for the reinstallation of ECU software back to standard setting.

FYI. Picture of transmission configuration for UK specs. Sorry not easy to read.

Transmission codes (Ignoring the hybrid (205)):
Dual-clutch automatic (2TF)
Sport automatic (2TB)
Sport Dual-clutch automatic (2TC)
Attached Images

2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 03-24-2021 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

I wonder if the new one has been coded so that it starts up and stays in sport mode rather than the standard comfort mode. Can you select all 3 modes - Eco, Comfort and Sport - Eco is like a tortoise, Comfort is just nice and Sport will hold gears longer and to higher revs before changing up (especially if you are heavy in the right foot).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_P View Post
I wonder if the new one has been coded so that it starts up and stays in sport mode rather than the standard comfort mode. Can you select all 3 modes - Eco, Comfort and Sport - Eco is like a tortoise, Comfort is just nice and Sport will hold gears longer and to higher revs before changing up (especially if you are sheavy in the right foot).
Yes. My thoughts also. Hence advising the OP to go to the dealer and have the software updated. He should do it for free because the car has been supplied in a non-standard form.
If it is not a BMW dealership then the garage/supplier should arrange for it to be done still free of charge.

Last edited by Peter_R; 03-24-2021 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:25 PM   #10
mighty-x1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_P View Post
I wonder if the new one has been coded so that it starts up and stays in sport mode rather than the standard comfort mode. Can you select all 3 modes - Eco, Comfort and Sport - Eco is like a tortoise, Comfort is just nice and Sport will hold gears longer and to higher revs before changing up (especially if you are heavy in the right foot).
Interesting thought. Now that you got my wheels turning upstairs, I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be much difference in response on the M Sport (across different modes) when purposely accelerating hard.

But then again, even with the xLine, I've always assumed that when in Eco, the vehicle would be able to tell the difference between casual driving and purposeful acceleration and override the Eco settings to give you the boost when demanded.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:45 PM   #11
pfdaxe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be much difference in response on the M Sport (across different modes) when purposely accelerating hard.
Definitely sounds like you have an issue as you should feel quite a big difference when switching from Eco or Comfort to Sport on the X-drive. When switching to Sport, it activates the rear axle and pulls noticeably harder with or without changing your pedal acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 03:30 AM   #12
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagm View Post
Same engine ? 20i/30i, from memory is there not two auto boxes available, one a DCT and one more like a standard TC box ? one a 7 speed one an 8 ??? or one is an auto and one is a sport auto that maybe configured differently.
Its an 8-speed Aisin gearbox in both vehicles. Technically, they are the same. There haven't been any hardware changes throughout 2017.

Therefore, most likely someone messed with the car's software. Go to a dealer, they should be able to factory reset it.
Appreciate 0