BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Problems with the windscreen wipers.

01-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #23
Phobia
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i M Sport

Same problem with mine, car produced 5th of November 2016.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #24
Edtheted
Edtheted
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 1.8 sDrive xLine auto

Garage List
I had the same problem with my new X1 delivered Dec. 16 it seem the silly dealer allowed their body protection "Protect X" (made by Gardx ) to run down the windscreen whilst sealing the roof paintwork, I called up Gardx they sent me a small pot of cleaner which removed the the ProtectX from the glass. I called the dealer and suggested the mask off the windscreen whilst applying ProtectX.
      01-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #25
KansasWaldo
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive28i

Garage List
No issues here. I also had Aquapel applied to my windshield when I had Opti-Coat Pro+ done. I rarely have to use my wipers since Aquapel is hydrophobic and water just flies right off. When I do use them, it's a streak free windshield.

I don't have any experience with how my wipers functioned before Aquapel since my car went straight from the dealership to my detailer for Opti-Coat after purchase.

Aquapel can be applied very easily. I plan on refreshing it after it wears out. From past experience, I can get about 8 months to a year with one application. I highly recommend this product since the outcome is phenomenal.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 01:27 AM   #26
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

Same here... amongst other annoying things
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 07:25 AM   #27
raymitch1326
Private
Rep
Drives: sDrive2.0iSport LCI ordered

Wiper Glue Problem

Hi
Problem I found was that the glue which secures wiper blade was too much and was probably touching the screen and smearing. The lump of fibrous glue, see attached photo was only problem with the driver side only [rhd]. This was problem from new. The dealer replaced and has been fine since then..12 months ago. Worth checking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #28
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

Are any of these badly behaved wipers on windscreens that could have been contaminated by over zealous spraying of paint protection product by the dealership? Or a bad batch of glass - look across the screen for any subtle ripples. I've heard these reasons as probable cause.

Max
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #29
ForkLiter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M Sport

Wipers replaced under comprehensive service coverage USA 2016 warranty. Smears gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #30
Clues
Rep
Drives: 2016 F48

I too had this problem from delivery in December. It's annoying to say the least... I have been using PIAA silicone wipers and Rain-x washer fluid on all my other cars for years. I didn't expect to have to switch over the X1 right away - but did so after a few weeks of ownership. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 07:13 PM   #31
roozybeh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 BMW X1 x-drive

So, I dropped the car at the dealer on Saturday, armed with the video and all the works.

Service manager came and inspected the car, then 2 other guys came and after multiple trial and errors with a whole batch of wipers, they gave up. Gave me a loaner X3 and sent me away.

Today i got a call to update me on the progress. He said that they have narrowed the problem to the tension on the wiper arm. Soooo true or not, the BMW engineering is coming to the shop on Thursday to see the problem and come up with a solution. Apparently we are not the only people with the issue, and my car is a prime example of the problem.

So in the meantime that i wait, i have to fill up this X3 with at best 20mpg milage until the car is fixed.

Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:19 AM   #32
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozybeh View Post
Soooo true or not, the BMW engineering is coming to the shop on Thursday to see the problem and come up with a solution.

Thats good news if they are going to look at it.
Will help a lot of people

In the mean time have fun with the X3 and know you are potentially helping many.
      02-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #33
Clues
Rep

I think it's a problem with the OEM supplier of the wiper blades. I initially tried cleaning my OEM blades with a silicone-based cleaner designed to revive rubber/latex and even applied Aquapel to the windshield. The streaking persisted.

It wasn't until I replaced the OEM wiper blade with an aftermarket (PIAA) blade that the problem went away.

I initially chalked it up to bad part/bad luck - but after reading the posts here amongt a relatively small sampling, I now believe that the part was not manufactured to high enough quality specifications, resulting in a high failure rate.

I'm curious with what the dealer says. I don't buy the pressure of the wiper arm - It might be possible that the wiper blade is too stiff and the arc of the blade is not flattening out enough to make good contact with the glass... But that, in my opinion, is a blade design issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #34
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

In picture above wiper is "Made in Serbia" - that does not go down well with me. I take it a major supplier has opened up a factory in, low cost Serbia. Factory soon to be closed.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #35
Clues
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
In picture above wiper is "Made in Serbia" - that does not go down well with me. I take it a major supplier has opened up a factory in, low cost Serbia. Factory soon to be closed.
It is probably Bosch. Even good companies produce shi++y things every now and then...

http://www.bosch.rs/en/rs/our_compan...ompany-lp.html
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #36
roozybeh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 BMW X1 x-drive

Ok, so got an update guys =)

After 5 days of not having my car and being stuck with this clunky X3, baby girl is fixed!

According to the service manager, the BMW technician from the headquarters found the problem to be with the tension on the wiper arm, causing the wiper to lift off the window on the downward swipe. They tried the wipers after the fix and happy to say that it appears to have solved the problem.

So for anyone interested, you can have your dealer contact the BMW of Mainline, and get the fix from them. Kinda like have your people call my people sorta thing.

will keep you posted on the updates should the problem returns.
Appreciate 3
      02-04-2017, 02:42 AM   #37
xlr8it
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 20d, SLK55AMG

Had the same problem with mine, so I removed just the rubber blade and turned it upside down, that has fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:40 AM   #38
TC3
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xdrive Sport

No issues with wipers as of yet in regards my car Picked up 2 days ago but certainly something to keep my eye on
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 11:36 PM   #39
LexProf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Same problem here...

Bought an X1 about 6 weeks ago and the EXACT same thing is happening. On the down stroke, on the drivers side, the wiper blade smears the water. Obviously this can be bad when driving at night, as lights starburst in the smear. Anyhow, we took it in and I told them I thought it was the tension, but they swapped out the wiper blade instead. My girlfriend said it works properly now, but I haven't had a chance to confirm that yet. We'll be keeping our eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 07:01 AM   #40
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

It amazes me that premium brand manufacturers will spoil the whole experience for the sake of a cheap wiper system/blades. In November I rejected my lovely new £57k MB-AMG GLC 43 because they couldn't fix the driver side wiper. It was the last thing left to fix on a long list of snags. Had the car for 10 weeks but I lost patience. Got a full refund.
Its one thing for the shop to test the blades on a stationary vehicle using reservoir water containing additives vs. testing at various speeds in real life rain.

Max
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #41
Stockwell
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS, Golf GTI

Hi All, my X1 was produced Nov 2016.. I have similar driver side wiper issue as you guys. What I did to fix/work around the issue is to put the Wiper in service position. (turn on, then off power, hold wiper stick for 5sec, then wiper will up and stop vertical pos) pull out the wiper to tension the spring outward overnight... next morning, my wiper work perfectly.

I think this just stretch the wiper spring to lower the tension.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #42
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockwell View Post
Hi All, my X1 was produced Nov 2016.. I have similar driver side wiper issue as you guys. What I did to fix/work around the issue is to put the Wiper in service position. (turn on, then off power, hold wiper stick for 5sec, then wiper will up and stop vertical pos) pull out the wiper to tension the spring outward overnight... next morning, my wiper work perfectly.

I think this just stretch the wiper spring to lower the tension.
Interesting solution.
Hope others try and report back.
      02-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #43
BMW X1 4 Me
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 M Sport

Last week wiper arm replaced and a new wiper, with no result.
Today they adjust the wiper arm and replaced the wiper fluid to bmw's fluid.
It seems ok for now, I will keep you posted!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #44
LexProf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Still smearing...

Well it has rained again here and so we have had a chance to see if changing the wiper blades alone worked. Unfortunately the smearing is back. It's not as bad as it was before, but it is still there. So it must be the tension. We will take it back to the dealer to see if they can adjust the tension. It's just not safe driving at night when the water smears and the lights create a starburst effect on the glass.
Appreciate 0