BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Brake Pad Replacement

01-19-2022, 01:53 PM   #1
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Brake Pad Replacement

Good Day All,

The front pads on my wife's 2016 X1 28i MSport are down to 20% and will require replacement soon.

I have read that these are short lived and I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with a brand other than OEM that lasts longer. In Canada we have GermanAuto Parts and they have Zimmerman (Metallic w/ M Sport Brakes), Akebono (Ceramic), Bosch (Ceramic), Textar (Metallic - w/ M Sport Brakes). Only the Zimmerman and the Textar state they are for vehicles with M Sport Brakes. Assume this is what I need as the car has the M Sport Option with M Sport Suspension. I havn't pull the calipers to look but the M Sport Pads look totally different (rectangular) than the typical non M Sport pad (triangular). Other resellers may carry other brands, unsure if the M Sport Brakes are available in Ceramic or if this is something I should consider for general use.

I use Textar on my 2005 330Ci and I like them. Having said that the 330 doesn't have the premature wear problem the X1 AWD has.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:19 PM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcborn59 View Post
Good Day All,

The front pads on my wife's 2016 X1 28i MSport are down to 20% and will require replacement soon.

I have read that these are short lived and I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with a brand other than OEM that lasts longer. In Canada we have GermanAuto Parts and they have Zimmerman (Metallic w/ M Sport Brakes), Akebono (Ceramic), Bosch (Ceramic), Textar (Metallic - w/ M Sport Brakes). Only the Zimmerman and the Textar state they are for vehicles with M Sport Brakes. Assume this is what I need as the car has the M Sport Option with M Sport Suspension. I havn't pull the calipers to look but the M Sport Pads look totally different (rectangular) than the typical non M Sport pad (triangular). Other resellers may carry other brands, unsure if the M Sport Brakes are available in Ceramic or if this is something I should consider for general use.

I use Textar on my 2005 330Ci and I like them. Having said that the 330 doesn't have the premature wear problem the X1 AWD has.
Hi there!

Yes, accelerated brake wear it's a known problem. The X1 DSC is very sensitive and constantly brakes the wheels to improve driving characteristics. So they last between 17k and 25k km, depending on driving style, roads, etc.

The X1 F48 didn't have real M-sport brakes until recent years (LCI model), when some markets could add it extra when buying it. I also have a late 2016 X1 2.0i M-sport with 'regular' brakes.

When it was time to replace them, I looked for some more 'punch' when braking, so I chose EBC Brakes (slotted rotors + yellow-stuff pads) and SS brake lines.

I can't talk about wear since I only have 4k km with them, but they work great. They provided that extra punch when breaking that I was looking for.

You can also search the forum for more information and recommendations as well. I read that some use Akebono with great results too.
Attached Images

01-19-2022, 06:22 PM   #3
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

You can get more information here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_2356

You can use the parts' numbers to check compatibility with other brands.
Attached Images

01-19-2022, 07:49 PM   #4
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Hi there!

Yes, accelerated brake wear it's a known problem. The X1 DSC is very sensitive and constantly brakes the wheels to improve driving characteristics. So they last between 17k and 25k km, depending on driving style, roads, etc.

The X1 F48 didn't have real M-sport brakes until recent years (LCI model), when some markets could add it extra when buying it. I also have a late 2016 X1 2.0i M-sport with 'regular' brakes.

When it was time to replace them, I looked for some more 'punch' when braking, so I chose EBC Brakes (slotted rotors + yellow-stuff pads) and SS brake lines.

I can't talk about wear since I only have 4k km with them, but they work great. They provided that extra punch when breaking that I was looking for.

You can also search the forum for more information and recommendations as well. I read that some use Akebono with great results too.
Is the last picture your 2016 with M sport, the caliper looks like the M Sport Brake (mini upgrade)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:37 PM   #5
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcborn59 View Post
Is the last picture your 2016 with M sport, the caliper looks like the M Sport Brake (mini upgrade)
Yes, those are M-calipers, but the picture is from another forum user, and it's a 2020 X1 LCI. It's not a JCW upgrade; those are made for the X1 LCI.

You can do the upgrade as well; it's plug&play for any X1 F48 with at least 18" wheels, but it's expensive. You can get more info here: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1733816

And you can check the parts to do the upgrade here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_2781
      11-22-2023, 08:40 PM   #6
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Do you guys have replaced the servo unit before to apply the Msport breake kit?

(S2NHA=Yes 34336889233; S2NHA=No 34336889689)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 04:18 AM   #7
CryptoHeff
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Hi there!

Did you find your brake change changed the characteristics of the brakes when coming to a stop? I find factory ones are jumpy and sticky just as we come to a stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 10:18 AM   #8
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoHeff View Post
Did you find your brake change changed the characteristics of the brakes when coming to a stop? I find factory ones are jumpy and sticky just as we come to a stop.
Yes, I got a stronger bite, but the slotted rotor gave me some vibration when hard-stopping, which is entirely normal BTW, but some might not like it. They also decreased the lifespan of the pads but kept them cleaner for better braking.

As a side note, if your X1 has some years (like mine), I would check the master cylinder. It tends to lose strength/pressure with the years.