BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Aisin 8speed transmission problems..

02-18-2024, 11:25 AM   #1
adamjamesss
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw x1 f48 m sport x driv

Aisin 8speed transmission problems..

Recently purchased a second hand 2018 x1 f48 m sport 20d with 57k miles, with some service history, on drive home driveshaft failure warning light came on and started noticing jerky gear changes 2/3 and 7 that progressively got worse, fault code 4204F1 “gear 7 clutch c2 or c3 open incorrectly” we like the car and would like to keep it but was unaware of there 2018ish batch that seem to be causing people real problems.

I can compensate the jerking for now with very gentle acceleration but trying to use a little as possible.

I have heard on here the story’s of bmw wanting 10k for gearbox swap and arguments over them stating the atf is life long and Aisin quoting 10/20k and then bmw reverting to not being up to date with the servicing..

I would like to keep/fix the car if financially viable so was first thinking whether to try the flush and service atf or is that just wasting money on a “to late to fix problem”
I wouldn’t be doing the fix through a main dealer so interested to hear of anyone’s experience or using other garages if possible to repair and if so what’s repaired.. costings etc. if someone has swapped the box and how that went as the fear is replacing a bad box for a bad box or a currently good box with the same weaknesses..

Someone had mention they have made 3/4 alterations to the box perhaps improvements without acknowledging there is a fault, whether to try get a later one if compatible and how to know the difference, if I bought a second hand box do I just transfer the other parts does it require coding etc etc.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:04 AM   #2
ackerman328
Rep
Drives: 330Ci e46 & X1 20i f48

If you already have the problems with the Aisin gearbox, probably you will need to fix it, or replace it.
The point is that in the official BMW service, they will only offer you to replace the gearbox, and the price of this will be nonsense. My advice is that you can search for a good repair shop specialized in gearboxes, and get a price estimation to open and fix the gearbox.
As far as I know from some gearboxes specialized repair shops in Spain, this fix is around 4000€.

I read a lot about the Aisin problems before purchase my f48 unit, it seems the best way to avoid problems with the gearbox is making oil changes frequently, so I am making them every 2 years.
Appreciate 0