BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 X1 refused to start after UK MOT test

02-11-2024, 04:54 PM   #1
turribech
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

F48 X1 refused to start after UK MOT test

Hi all,

Last week I took my F48 X1 for an MOT service which is an annual vehicle inspection required in the UK for cars 4 years old or older. The list of checks that they do is listed on this page but none of these checks involve connnecting to the car's OBD2 diagnostic port (as far as I am aware). The tests usually takes 45mins. I came back for the car and they told me the car passed the test with is expected as it's 5 years old and has new types with all maintenance done as per BMW requirements. They also told me they parked it around the corner. I wasn't too troubled about this as it's a small garage and they don't have much parking space. When I started the car the following issues were displayed in the dashboard:
  • Driving Stabilisation Error
  • Front End Collision Warning

When I tried to drive I got this message:
  • Secure vehicle against rolling away warning

I checked the car and there was no sign on any crashes or even bumps. Obviously I called them back and they came and connected their OBD2 diagnostic console. They tried to clear the errors but they couldn't, the car kept refusing to move. I asked if they connected anything to the car and they said they didn't. Eventually the guy did a battery reset and was able to clear the console errors. The car then started normally and has been fine since then. The guy said these things happen sometimes but I don't trust them. I never had any unexpected errors before, all errors were valid issues. And certainly the car never needed a battery reset to clear errors.

Should I be concerned? How can these errors be triggered and then dissapear like nothing happened with a battery reset? Perhaps they tried to create a new car key?

Any ideas?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:23 AM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

I'm not familiar with the MOT test, but when they do the emissions test on my X1 (currently living in Mexico), it throws similar errors (ABS, DTC, steering wheel, TPMS, Driving Stabilisation Error, etc.) due to the "dynamic driving test" (roll/brake test). However, I am able to use it carefully, and everything resets in a couple of kms.

Honestly, if the errors disappeared and you could drive your X1 normally, I wouldn't be too worried. But that's just me.