BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Rear shock absorbers?

10-25-2023, 05:46 AM   #1
Nicoparko
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Garage List
Rear shock absorbers?

First time user, hope this is posted in the correct section. Has anyone had the problem of F48 rear noise when going over speed humps? The noise only comes on when the outside temperature falls below 20degrees celsius. Could it be the rear shocks? Thanks….
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 01:34 PM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoparko View Post
First time user, hope this is posted in the correct section. Has anyone had the problem of F48 rear noise when going over speed humps? The noise only comes on when the outside temperature falls below 20degrees celsius. Could it be the rear shocks? Thanks….
How many miles on your X1? Petrol or Diesel? sDrive or xDrive?

I don't think it's related to temperature (~20* celsius is pretty normal). I would think it's tear & wear, either from the shocks or the springs. Or it could be the hub. Hard to tell.
      10-25-2023, 03:04 PM   #3
Nicoparko
Rep

Garage List
It's an S drive, diesel, 2016 with 65,000 miles. It really seems to be temperature related as on hotter days ( in Spain ) the noise is not there, as soon as we have a cold spell it's right back. What do you mean the hub? Thanks.

Last edited by Nicoparko; 10-25-2023 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Missed out word - diesel
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 03:19 PM   #4
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
It's an S drive, diesel, 2016 with 65,000 miles. It really seems to be temperature related as on hotter days ( in Spain ) the noise is not there, as soon as we have a cold spell it's right back. What do you mean the hub? Thanks.
It's where to attach the wheel (see attached picture).

I recommend going to an indy shop; it could be the shocks, but it could also be the control arm bushes, wheel bearing, swaybar end links, etc.

Worth mentioning that with 65k miles, your shocks must be almost gone.
Attached Images

10-26-2023, 01:48 AM   #5
Nicoparko
Rep

Garage List
Ok, jrveron, many thanks for your input. Looks like there are a whole bunch of potential items there to change before we find the reason. One more question please, where did you find the picture of the rear suspension, is it available online? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 05:01 AM   #6
Nicoparko
Rep

Garage List
Does anyone know if these rear shockers are gas filled or oil filled? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 10:48 AM   #7
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Ok, jrveron, many thanks for your input. Looks like there are a whole bunch of potential items there to change before we find the reason. One more question please, where did you find the picture of the rear suspension, is it available online? Thank you.
Yes, it could be many things. So I think that before throwing money on it, go to an indy shop so they can (try to) identify the problem.

You can find that info in RealOEM. Here's the link for my X1: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...F48-BMW-X1_20i. You need to chance version since yours is Diesel, but as you know, we share most of the parts.

You will be able to see the part number for the rear shocks. Keep in mind there are different parts for regular, M-Sport, or VDC suspension. BTW, they are oil-filled.
      10-26-2023, 10:56 AM   #8
Nicoparko
Rep

Garage List
Thank you so much jrveron, very kind, regards…..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 11:03 AM   #9
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much jrveron, very kind, regards…..
Any time!

Please let us know when you resolve it. It could be a reference for other users experiencing similar issues.
      10-26-2023, 04:14 PM   #10
Nicoparko
Rep

Garage List
Of course.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 05:59 AM   #11
Nicoparko
Rep

Garage List
I'm busy looking at replacing my rear shock absorbers for my 2016 f48 and most for sale seem to be gas filled. Does anyone know of it matters if you fit gas or oil filled ones? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 08:57 AM   #12
limsheng
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Garage List
2016 BMW X1  [9.00]
I only realized my rear right strut was making noise on bumps. Mechanic told me possible strut seized and now only the mount and bushings are taking the hit. Well, spring was doing its job, bouncing. That could happen after car was hanging off the lift for longer period of time. Couldn’t be bothered as I’ve ordered new sets of Koni struts due to change on Dec.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 02:12 PM   #13
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
I'm busy looking at replacing my rear shock absorbers for my 2016 f48 and most for sale seem to be gas filled. Does anyone know of it matters if you fit gas or oil filled ones? Thanks.
Probably I wasn't clear with my previous answer. Even "gas-filled" shocks have oil. The difference is they use nitrogen gas to pressurize the oil and prevent foaming. This provides a reliable stable shock absorber and a big safety improvement over the oil damper which suffers from a noticeable drop in damping force under load.

In simpler words, "gas-filled" shocks are better than only "oil-filled".

As you know, Bilstein is one of the most known brands for shocks, but they tend to be cheaper than OEM. For example, for my X1 with M-sport suspension, the rear shock absorber is 33506886762 (yours will be different).
I highly recommend Bilstein over other brands. Right now I have some Koni Sport, but they don't work with my lowering spring setup. I should go with Bilstein B8 instead.

As a thumb rule:
  • Bilstein B4 - These are classed as a replacement damper. A few B4 variations exist depending on the vehicle application but these are all intended to replace the standard shocks fitted when the car was new.
  • Bilstein B6 - A non-adjustable sport damper which is painted yellow. The B6 damper is designed for the motorist who wants a sporty ride without lowering the car or changing the original springs.
  • Bilstein B8 - just like the B6 shock absorber but shorter. These are only for use with lowering springs or listed for vehicles with factory sports suspension. They are shorter to ensure the all-important coil spring pre-load as lowering springs are shorter than OE springs.
      10-31-2023, 06:34 AM   #14
Nicoparko
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Probably I wasn't clear with my previous answer. Even "gas-filled" shocks have oil. The difference is they use nitrogen gas to pressurize the oil and prevent foaming. This provides a reliable stable shock absorber and a big safety improvement over the oil damper which suffers from a noticeable drop in damping force under load.

As you know, Bilstein is one of the most known brands for shocks, but they tend to be cheaper than OEM. For example, for my X1 with M-sport suspension, the rear shock absorber is 33506886762 (yours will be different).
I highly recommend Bilstein over other brands. Right now I have some Koni Sport, but they don't work with my lowering spring setup. I should go with Bilstein B8 instead.

As a thumb rule:
  • Bilstein B4 - These are classed as a replacement damper. A few B4 variations exist depending on the vehicle application but these are all intended to replace the standard shocks fitted when the car was new.
  • Bilstein B6 - A non-adjustable sport damper which is painted yellow. The B6 damper is designed for the motorist who wants a sporty ride without lowering the car or changing the original springs.
  • Bilstein B8 - just like the B6 shock absorber but shorter. These are only for use with lowering springs or listed for vehicles with factory sports suspension. They are shorter to ensure the all-important coil spring pre-load as lowering springs are shorter than OE springs.

Thank you so much, so knowledgeable…..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 11:44 AM   #15
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:

As a thumb rule:

Thanks for this
How much stiffer is the B6 compared to B4. Currently on normal suspension but mine will need replacement somewhere in 2024 I will expect…
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 01:12 PM   #16
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
Thanks for this
How much stiffer is the B6 compared to B4. Currently on normal suspension but mine will need replacement somewhere in 2024. I will expect…
Mmmm, it's hard to tell because it could be biased. If you're happy with your standard suspension, stick with the Bilstein B4. But if you like a sportier/firmer feeling, move to B6 (B8 if you have lowering springs like me). You will definitely feel the difference.

In my experience, with the B6/B8, the feeling is more like a sedan (considering the differences, of course), more if you have lowering springs like me.

Some reading food: https://suspensionlist.com/bilstein-...-your-vehicle/
      10-31-2023, 01:35 PM   #17
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mmmm, it's hard to tell because it could be biased. If you're happy with your standard suspension, stick with the Bilstein B4. But if you like a sportier/firmer feeling, move to B6 (B8 if you have lowering springs like me). You will definitely feel the difference.

In my experience, with the B6/B8, the feeling is more like a sedan (considering the differences, of course), more if you have lowering springs like me.

Some reading food: https://suspensionlist.com/bilstein-...-your-vehicle/
I won’t be lowering as IMO you don’t buy an X vehicle to lower it. But it could use a little bit more sporty suspension. Will think about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 01:50 PM   #18
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
I won’t be lowering as IMO you don’t buy an X vehicle to lower it. But it could use a little bit more sporty suspension. Will think about it.
Fair point. But, as the saying goes, "We agree to disagree" .

IMO, the X1 (F48) isn't a proper "X" vehicle (probably I have E84 nostalgic? ); that's why lowering it makes sense.
      10-31-2023, 02:36 PM   #19
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fair point. But, as the saying goes, "We agree to disagree" .

IMO, the X1 (F48) isn't a proper "X" vehicle (probably I have E84 nostalgic? ); that's why lowering it makes sense.
I can agree to disagree

Fair point aswell but why buy an X1 and not a 3’ series touring then?

Sometimes I camp in nature and drive forest roads, then ride height comes in handy but how often are that roads that wouldn’t have gone with a 3’ series?

Following that argument, I could lower my X1…
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 10:39 AM   #20
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
I can agree to disagree

Fair point aswell but why buy an X1 and not a 3’ series touring then?

Sometimes I camp in nature and drive forest roads, then ride height comes in handy but how often are that roads that wouldn’t have gone with a 3’ series?

Following that argument, I could lower my X1…
Well, right now, I'm living in Mexico, and they don't have touring versions here . So, the X1 was a good compromise to have a bigger trunk, compared to a 3 series. Also, the X1 came with sDrive only.

And, of course, I never offroad with it, only some (light) dirt roads. Without xDrive and the low ride height, I wouldn't dare, haha. So for a city car, it works just fine.
      02-12-2024, 05:32 AM   #21
Nicoparko
Rep

Garage List
Hello, I finally got to the bottom of the noise on my F48 when going over speed humps. I had the engine mountings replaced as they were in poor condition but this didn't cure the noise. The noise was actually from the front n/s strut, somehow transferring noise to the rear. Anyway, 2000€ later and 2 new front shockers and bearings, boots etc. the noise is gone. Thank you to all for your input and help.
Appreciate 0