BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Compact Spare Wing Screw Question

08-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
MtnHank
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 19 BMW X1 x

Compact Spare Wing Screw Question

I plan to buy a compare spare and want to secure it by using the OEM Wing Screw. For a 2019, is there a threaded spot under the carpet in the underfloor storage area that I can screw the Wing Screw into? I don't have the vehicle yet, pending Stop Sale fix. Since the Compact Spare is an option, it would seem that all '19s would have this available.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #2
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

See page 2 on this thread: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...e+wheel&page=2

Theres a post with pictures and part numbers. If you can, I recommend adding the spare option from factory. It's less of a hassle and comes out cheaper I believe. If you cant, you'll need at least the wing nut and circular plate that sits on top of the spare to secure it down. Theres a bracket too that should be added to be the most safe.

Also, if you dont get it from factory, there will be some cutting into the under storage area liner to access the mounting points.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
MtnHank
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I've read that post before, which gave the idea of using the OEM wing screw. My 19 is at the dealer and came with RFT, no optional spare, but waiting on the B Pillar fix. I haven't found a source for the circular plate yet. I don't have a problem cutting out the liner. Is there another mounting point in addition to the center one for the wing screw?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHank View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've read that post before, which gave the idea of using the OEM wing screw. My 19 is at the dealer and came with RFT, no optional spare, but waiting on the B Pillar fix. I haven't found a source for the circular plate yet. I don't have a problem cutting out the liner. Is there another mounting point in addition to the center one for the wing screw?
Dealer should have the center plate. You could also try making one out of plywood or a scrap piece of metal. Its main purpose would be to apply pressure on the spare when the wing nut is tightened.

The other mounting point would be for the bracket. It would need to be secured to the X1's frame under the carpeting. As a note, I haven't done this mod myself and am commenting based on the noted hardware and pics from the other post.

Mine is currently not secured, but I plan to find a way to ratchet strap it down instead of going the wing nut route.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #5
MtnHank
Enlisted Member
Rep

I found a source for the plastic cover plate for $21. I plan to make a wood spacer for the wing screw to go through. That should be enough to hold it down. I've never seen any other compact spare on other vehicles with two hold down points.
Appreciate 0