BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Electric tailgate retrofit

08-16-2019, 01:35 AM   #1
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive 20d

Electric tailgate retrofit

I start this thread because I hesitate to continue or not to make a big retrofit for my X1 F48.
So, I thought some time ago to retrofit the electric tailgate with original parts.

I purchased already the most expensive parts:
- rear bootlid spindle drives
- trunk lid lock + softclose
- control module for electric bootlid
- driver door switch for electric bootlid

I'm still missing three parts
- driver door main switches for electric tail gate option
- boot lid closing button
- sound buzzer for electric bootlid

But most important, I don't have the wiring harness for this retrofit or, at least, the plugs for these parts.

Another thing is the difficulty of this retrofit: I imagine there is a lot of work involved, mechanical, electrical and programming.
I don't have the time and knowledge to do it by myself, so I have to find someone to do it.

What do you think, is or worth to continue this retrofit or not?
Does anybody did it by now? Is it complicated?
Maybe some ideas for / against could help me to take a decision...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Wow, you've already done and sourced a lot of the parts! I for one would say to give up now.. especially if you aren't doing this yourself and have to find someone. The cost there would just be intimidating. I for one hardly open the rear tailgate anyways. For example, the family minivan has a heavy ish door. I think to myself it sure is kinda nice on the other cars that it opens and closes itself, but I'm pretty much okay without it. If someone gave me a hard number like $300 would say let's do it now. $500 I might say.... still worth it. If they said $1,000 I would say nope, I have other things to do with that much money.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you rice_rocket88.
For now, the total spent for the parts is around 350€. The other parts could be around 70-100€.
I don't have any idea how much could cost the labour for this retrofit.
Also, I don't have any idea about the cost for the wire harness.

So... I will keep the parts for a while, at least until I will have some total expenses estimation.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A while ago I started this thread because I wasn't sure if it is worth to make the electric tailgate retrofit.
Now, after finishing this big work, I'm happy to tell you that it is worth.
The wiring and the parts retrofit was made by a professional car technician, with some small help from my part.
Everything is working nice, with just one exception: the softclose motor.

The problem is that it seems to do nothing, because when the tailgate goes down it's just hitting the door lock and close directly.
As I tested on two other cars (with factory mounted electric tailgate), the tailgate stop a little bit before the compete close position, and then it is pulled down by the softclose motor.

The car has no errors and the tailgate is secure closed.

What could be the problem?
Could be a software issue, or a defective softclose motor?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

I'm not 100% certain, but these might help, although it looks a fiddly procedure and you have to be very careful if adjusting the tailgate striker. Also, is the soft close mechanism installed?
Initially, you could try slowly closing the tailgate, gently pushing it down by hand because, as it reaches the point where the soft close kicks in, if the mechanism is actually installed and working (you indicate above that you have the part), you will find the tailgate is pulled in almost at the point of closure by the soft close and it should then be a matter of adjustment to get it to operate correctly.
1. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...lgate/1L9fLQdv
2. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...f49/1Vnbhq0OHY

Last edited by oakey46; 10-28-2019 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 12:08 AM   #6
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
I'm not 100% certain, but these might help, although it looks a fiddly procedure and you have to be very careful if adjusting the tailgate striker. Also, is the soft close mechanism installed?
Initially, you could try slowly closing the tailgate, gently pushing it down by hand because, as it reaches the point where the soft close kicks in, if the mechanism is actually installed and working (you indicate above that you have the part), you will find the tailgate is pulled in almost at the point of closure by the soft close and it should then be a matter of adjustment to get it to operate correctly.
1. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...lgate/1L9fLQdv
2. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...f49/1Vnbhq0OHY
Thank you for your the sugestion.
In fact we found the problem last evening: it was a missing wire on the door lock. Now the problem is solved and it is working great.
Appreciate 0