BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Decisions, decisions...

04-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #89
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_P View Post
As I am sure we have all said at some stage "you have to stop somewhere". Personally I am not a big fan of sunroofs even though the headroom is still terrific in the X1 with a sunroof. And since A/C got reliable I don't see the benefit. Just my opinion.
A/C doesn't work when when the car's parked

Since we sometimes have to leave the dog in the car, and opened side windows don't provide adequate ventilation. (Even though we've got a dog whose motto is "Dogs die in cold cars").

Seriously, I don't know why more manufacturers don't put solar panels on the roof to run the A/C when the engine's off ( think Skoda & Toyota have on some models). Would beat a hole in the roof hands down.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #90
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
As I am sure we have all said at some stage "you have to stop somewhere". Personally I am not a big fan of sunroofs even though the headroom is still terrific in the X1 with a sunroof. And since A/C got reliable I don't see the benefit. Just my opinion.
Agree we have to stop somewhere otherwise these purchases become ridiculously expensive, however I think we've both already got to that stage

I had the roof for the light rather than its capacity to open, I find its a lot nicer environment with it. Transforms the cabin imho
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #91
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogit View Post
A/C doesn't work when when the car's parked

Since we sometimes have to leave the dog in the car, and opened side windows don't provide adequate ventilation. (Even though we've got a dog whose motto is "Dogs die in cold cars").

Seriously, I don't know why more manufacturers don't put solar panels on the roof to run the A/C when the engine's off ( think Skoda & Toyota have on some models). Would beat a hole in the roof hands down.
I don't know why anyone would want A/C or a sunroof in the North East - ha ha - (I am allowed to say that as I was born in Jarrow) - heated seats would be the bigger requirement in that case
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #92
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't know why anyone would want A/C or a sunroof in the North East - ha ha - (I am allowed to say that as I was born in Jarrow) - heated seats would be the bigger requirement in that case
Got the heated seats: want the heated windscreen
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #93
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Got the heated seats: want the heated windscreen
Whilst we are on the subject of heated seats why the hell didn't BMW offer rear heated seats in a car that will be used as a family vehicle by a large portion of owners
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #94
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Whilst we are on the subject of heated seats why the hell didn't BMW offer rear heated seats in a car that will be used as a family vehicle by a large portion of owners
This...and the fact they've removed the air vent hot/cold adjustments in the front & back of the X1.

TBH, I'd have hoped they'd have gone with 3-zone climate control to mitigate the air vent issue.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 05:15 AM   #95
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Another update from my SA, have to admit this guy is really good and regularly keeps me informed of progress.

"Your car is now at sea so should hopefully be in the UK very soon I will contact you the start of next week."

Getting excited now!

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #96
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Another update from my SA, have to admit this guy is really good and regularly keeps me informed of progress.

"Your car is now at sea so should hopefully be in the UK very soon I will contact you the start of next week."

Getting excited now!

My car was a few days behind yours in build and last I heard was that it was released to transport - not heard anything about it being on a ship yet.

I will keep an eye open around Southampton in case I see a MW M-Sport on a transporter
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #97
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My car was a few days behind yours in build and last I heard was that it was released to transport - not heard anything about it being on a ship yet.

I will keep an eye open around Southampton in case I see a MW M-Sport on a transporter
I didn't realise that they came into Southampton, yeah MW M Sport with Mocha leather and a pano roof... send me a picture

I'm so glad we cant track the ships like some of our friends from other countries, otherwise I'd be sitting here staring at a map all day long!

I'd expect yours is probably on the same boat if it was produced two days apart
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #98
manub
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M Sport 20d

Quote:

Getting excited now!

Great stuff!!!

I'm going to collect mine in 2 days, can't wait
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #99
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manub View Post
Great stuff!!!

I'm going to collect mine in 2 days, can't wait
Great news, enjoy and take lots of pics for us
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #100
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I didn't realise that they came into Southampton, yeah MW M Sport with Mocha leather and a pano roof... send me a picture

I'm so glad we cant track the ships like some of our friends from other countries, otherwise I'd be sitting here staring at a map all day long!

I'd expect yours is probably on the same boat if it was produced two days apart
News from my SA is that my car is in customs in Southampton and expected to be released tomorrow so we are down to collect from the dealer this Friday AM (all being well)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #101
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
News from my SA is that my car is in customs in Southampton and expected to be released tomorrow so we are down to collect from the dealer this Friday AM (all being well)
Great news, mine is on a transporter as we speak and should be with the dealer tomorrow. I have asked to collect on Saturday morning as I want to take the whole family in... Exciting times!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:53 AM   #102
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just went in and paid my deposit and signed all the finance papers ready for collection Saturday AM. Absolutely bursting with excitement now! I resisted asking to view the car so that we can all see it as a family for the first time on Saturday, not sure how I managed that

You on track to get yours tomorrow?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:32 AM   #103
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Bill_P, The Beast,

Keep breathing!
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #104
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
This...and the fact they've removed the air vent hot/cold adjustments in the front & back of the X1.

TBH, I'd have hoped they'd have gone with 3-zone climate control to mitigate the air vent issue.
Both the above (heated rear seats, 3-zone climate control) are available on the new VW Tiguan.

I was all set to go for an X1 until I found out about the new Tiguan. It's not in the showrooms yet (expected late May), so I'm now holding off my decision until I've seen one and had a test drive.

Decisions, decisions, eh...
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #105
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTracey View Post
Both the above (heated rear seats, 3-zone climate control) are available on the new VW Tiguan.

I was all set to go for an X1 until I found out about the new Tiguan. It's not in the showrooms yet (expected late May), so I'm now holding off my decision until I've seen one and had a test drive.

Decisions, decisions, eh...
I was considering a Tiguan too (next company car). There are some plus points for sure (i.e. led-lit panoramic roof on the top two lines as standard) however overall it's quite a costly alternative.

Note, the Tiguan doesn't have a powered tailgate as standard (a huge mistake and one, I think will be rectified in any forthcoming revisions), leather interior is extremely expensive (seems to be the case in all VW's), HUD looks to be quite poorly implemented and is another very costly upgrade. Unlike the X1's technology pack, things like the upgraded stereo, keyless access (and push-button start!) & rear-view camera are all additional (and again, expensive) options on the Tiguan.

The final nail in the coffin for me was the Co2 levels of each of the engines too...higher than it's rivals and considerably so compared to the X1.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #106
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Seriously, I don't know why more manufacturers don't put solar panels on the roof
Whilst I'm commenting on the Tiguan, this is a feature rumoured to be on their forthcoming (2017?) GTE hybrid model...the panoramic roof will feature solar panels for energy regeneration.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #107
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I was considering a Tiguan too (next company car). There are some plus points for sure (i.e. led-lit panoramic roof on the top two lines as standard) however overall it's quite a costly alternative.

Note, the Tiguan doesn't have a powered tailgate as standard (a huge mistake and one, I think will be rectified in any forthcoming revisions), leather interior is extremely expensive (seems to be the case in all VW's), HUD looks to be quite poorly implemented and is another very costly upgrade. Unlike the X1's technology pack, things like the upgraded stereo, keyless access (and push-button start!) & rear-view camera are all additional (and again, expensive) options on the Tiguan.

The final nail in the coffin for me was the Co2 levels of each of the engines too...higher than it's rivals and considerably so compared to the X1.
Plus it's ugly imho
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:10 AM   #108
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Plus it's ugly imho
I'd agree...aside from the R-Line (the white one they use in their promotional collateral), complete with its 20" wheels as standard!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #109
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

Quote:

Yes, you make some valid points.

However, as I wanted a 2.0l petrol engine, I would have to go for the new Tiguan in SEL spec. This comes with many bells & whistles but,as you point out, I would still have to add the electric tailgate & reversing camera options.
My wife hates leather seats - so the cloth/microfibre ones in the Tiguan would suit us just fine.

I spec'd an X1 xDrive20i MSport (to get the same sort of seats) to the same level as the Tiguan SEL and the BMW was about £2500 more.
I'd be buying privately (not company car) and under this year's UK car tax rules, the Tiguan would cost about £150 more to tax 1st year, and then £65/year each year on-going.
If you buy one after April 2017, it will be £300 more to tax 1st year, and then no more than the X1 in subsequent years.
The Tiguan is bigger & heavier and will use more fuel - I recon about £700 more over 4 years based on my 9000 miles a year.

So, the Tiguan still works out a bit cheaper for my specific requirements...but then there's quality & the "BMW badge snob" aspect to consider (the wife is a definite BMW badge snob )

Coversley, If you don't want a sunroof, or heated seats with lumbar support and massage function, or the driver assist stuff, or 3-zone climate control, and you're happy with cloth seats then an X1 xDrive20i Sport is cheaper.

Last edited by MrTracey; 04-28-2016 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #110
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTracey View Post
Yes, you make some valid points.

However, as I wanted a 2.0l petrol engine, I would have to go for the new Tiguan in SEL spec. This comes with many bells & whistles but,as you point out, I would still have to add the electric tailgate & reversing camera options.
My wife hates leather seats - so the cloth/microfibre ones in the Tiguan would suit us just fine.

I spec'd an X1 xDrive20i MSport (to get the same sort of seats) to the same level as the Tiguan SEL and the BMW was about £2500 more.
I'd be buying privately (not company car) and under this year's UK car tax rules, the Tiguan would cost about £150 more to tax 1st year, and then £65/year each year on-going.
If you buy one after April 2017, it will be £300 more to tax 1st year, and then no more than the X1 in subsequent years.
The Tiguan is bigger & heavier and will use more fuel - I recon about £700 more over 4 years based on my 9000 miles a year.

So, the Tiguan still works out a bit cheaper for my specific requirements...but then there's quality & the "BMW badge snob" aspect to consider (the wife is a definite BMW badge snob )

Coversley, If you don't want a sunroof, or heated seats with lumbar support and massage function, or the driver assist stuff, or 3-zone climate control, and you're happy with cloth seats then an X1 xDrive20i Sport is cheaper.
The SE-L leather seats come with the massaging option IIRC...see if you can get your wife to agree to that!

I was seriously all set to get one and could have got the R-Line to (just) within my company car budget but my wife preferred the less bulky size of the X1.

If I could have held back on ordering until September the Seat Alteca would definitely have gotten some serious attention - Seat have got a wealth of information on the Alteca already on their website...take a look. http://www.seat.co.uk/new-cars/new-a...FUI_GwodCFAE9g
Appreciate 0