BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Grinding/washboard sound when turning, low speed

08-22-2022, 09:26 PM   #1
Icycharizard
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Grinding/washboard sound when turning, low speed

Hi, sounds horrible in my passenger side front wheel well. I read a lot of things online as to what it could be. I narrowed it down by lifting the car and dropping the splash guard. I looked around, nothing has drips or leaks or residue or anything grinding. Not even the tire is rubbing, as it has more than 3 inches of clearance. The terrible sound comes at lower speeds and while turning. It also makes a washboard type bumping sound on uneven surfaces. On cold starts, the motor sounds mad, and I’m assuming vibrations are being transferred to the failing part. Highway speeds are generally very pleasant with only minute vibrations noticeable from time to time. I checked all mounts and bushings — all seem good.

Note: I changed the CV axle on that side after I purchased the vehicle after bmw said it was leaking. I did not buy oem. I got the part for about $120 off parts geek. It was an easy install. Been driving it for a month and a half with no issue. I changed the top/passenger side engine mount two weeks ago (bmw also noted it as failed). I had some bad vibrations for a week, then got the tires balanced and all is well. My theory is the bad engine mount put extra stress in the CV, causing it to leak. But I fixed the engine mount and already replaced the CV.

I went to a self service garage with lifts and inspected everything. One of the very opinionated mechanics (not an import mechanic) says he thinks it’s the CV going bad, especially because it sounds bad when turning. He shook it and says it has a lot of play. But me being the former pro air plane mechanic that I am, applied the same idea to the drivers side CV and it shook about the same.l amount of play — I’m sure the drivers side CV is good.

I think it could be the CV but I am dumbfounded as to how, when it’s brand new. Poor build quality? It’s not leaking or anything.
Attached Images

Last edited by Icycharizard; 08-23-2022 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #2
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 09:12 AM   #3
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

Hi I drive my car a lot, I need a response soon
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 02:39 PM   #5
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Thought I might throw this out, I have a 2018 X1 with 97,000 miles on the clock and had a similar issue with what seemed to be the right rear making something similar to a "washboard" sound along with periodic grinding sound at low speed. Drove the car approximately 20,000 miles all the while listening to this sound. At first thought it was one of the brake pads even though had new brakes including rotors installed at 75,000 miles.

Dealership had the rear wheels off twice to no avail, everything look good. Noise continued to drive me crazy, took it back to the dealership in the last couple of days, again nothing found, brakes in great shape.

While at the dealer went ahead and had maintenance done including four new tires. Now that I have 4 new tires, the sound has completely disappeared. I'm at the conclusion that one rear tire was the problem. Not sure what the problem was but as I said my noise issue disappeared. Had Goodyear Eagle LS on it, went back to the Pirelli Cinturato.

Maybe switch the tires on that side, front to back to see if sound moves with the tire, just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 10:00 AM   #6
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

Ok, I hear what you’re saying, and I do think it is partly a tire sound. Though again, I can’t find any evidence of rubbing or tire contacting anything. I will swap the front tires the next time I get a chance. —

— so I changed the CV again and… it doesn’t have the same crazy sound when turning and it’s SO much better — but I STILL have this horrible angry cold start, similar sounding-noisy in reverse with brake pressed, or in drive at a stop with brakes pressed. Some vibrations and sound in the first couple of seconds accelerating from a stop… at this point I think the motor mount could be a faulty part or there’s a gear on the front of the motor going bad like tensioner or something. I haven’t checked that. It sounds horrible and sounds like something that is moving. Like I said, it’s not the tires because I hear it at stops and idle. Maybe it’s some part of the heat shield? I swear I checked, but I can look again. Still no one thinks it’s a transmission thing? Never hear it at speeds above 30 mph.

Last edited by Icycharizard; 09-01-2022 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #7
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

So I just checked the heat shields that are visible from merely having the hood open. Nothing seems loose or appears to be contacting anything that would send vibrations through it. I ran a series of diagnostic tests utilizing the parking brake and shifting from P-R-N-D over and over again and checking which parts of the engine/wheel/mounts were shaking. Most shaking occurs in reverse, and when I feel parts, it simply comes from the engine itself shaking a little. Not like misfire or anything obvious though. I am realizing that this car is mainly fwd when not using the awd system, something I hadn’t thought about. I feel the vibrations they the wheels on both sides to be about the same in reverse. Still unsure of what is going on. — also, the vibrations don’t ALWAYS happen at idle in park or reverse, simply most of the time. Vibrations also don’t ALWAYS occur from 0-30. It’s very intermittent. I’ve also heard a newer squeaking sound kind of like a chipmunk or water running. Maybe the wheel bearing? I don’t think that would send such vibrations through the car tho, and when I changed the CV yesterday, I inspected the bearing — all seemed ok and moved smoothly. I did notice some silt/dust around part of the bearing backside upon removing the cv but I work construction so I always am around silt. A little o-ring inside the bearing was slightly dislodged and appeared to be maybe torn — I didn’t get a picture because I’m dumb — however, I still don’t think that would be causing this noise. Before I torqued the cv, I DID make sure that all the joining teeth were seated and that turning the axle would turn the bearing and vise versa. Any help?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 08:45 PM   #8
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 09:15 PM   #9
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
What make tires on the vehicle?

I thought about most of the same scenarios you mentioned.The noise was most noticable in the morning or when the vehicle was cold. Once warmed up the sound tended to dissapate. Also was only noticable at the low speed <30mph

I thought I had a brake pad dragging, possibly a wheel bearing or rear dif bearing, a shield rubbing, convel joint and a possible bubble in the sidewall. I had a previous noise issue with one of the Goodyear tires when I first purchased them also.

After my dealership mounted the new Pirelli Cinturato tires, they didn't see anything to indicate that they found anything physically wrong with the tire. But here again I didn't realize it was a tire issue until the next morning when again the tires were cold and made no noise. At this point, just chalking it up that it was a defective tire in some respect. Certainly a possibility something was wrong internally in the tire.

I would try rotating the tires front to back and see if the noise moves with the change.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 03:56 PM   #10
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBuggy View Post
What make tires on the vehicle?

I thought about most of the same scenarios you mentioned.The noise was most noticable in the morning or when the vehicle was cold. Once warmed up the sound tended to dissapate. Also was only noticable at the low speed <30mph

I thought I had a brake pad dragging, possibly a wheel bearing or rear dif bearing, a shield rubbing, convel joint and a possible bubble in the sidewall. I had a previous noise issue with one of the Goodyear tires when I first purchased them also.

After my dealership mounted the new Pirelli Cinturato tires, they didn't see anything to indicate that they found anything physically wrong with the tire. But here again I didn't realize it was a tire issue until the next morning when again the tires were cold and made no noise. At this point, just chalking it up that it was a defective tire in some respect. Certainly a possibility something was wrong internally in the tire.

I would try rotating the tires front to back and see if the noise moves with the change.
So it happens when the car is in idle. So I must dismiss this as an option. I’m about to get new tires anyways.

I found online that if a motor mount is installed incorrectly, the motor can droop and this will push the axle to grind on the subframe while rotating. I’m pretty sure this is the issue, and I will reply once confirmed. It would make sense as to why the other cv started to go bad after just replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 05:42 PM   #11
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

OK — don’t buy partsgeek.com parts. Second part I’ve gotten from them that’s bad. Check out how much this motor Mount has moved since installing it about a month ago:
Attached Images

Last edited by Icycharizard; 09-03-2022 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 10:06 PM   #12
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

UPDATE — the issue WAS INDEED the engine Mount. The mount was purchased from partsgeek.com and it failed after a month!! It was split on the inside, torn, and was slipping out of the rubber!!! The x1 drives perfect now!!!! ))
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 10:18 AM   #13
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icycharizard View Post
UPDATE — the issue WAS INDEED the engine Mount. The mount was purchased from partsgeek.com and it failed after a month!! It was split on the inside, torn, and was slipping out of the rubber!!! The x1 drives perfect now!!!! ))
Unbelievable! Only 1 month?

I'm glad you fix it! In the end, it was easier/cheaper than expected.
      09-06-2022, 05:02 PM   #14
Ratpack
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Cheers to you and the many others on this forum that have the mechanical and technical expertise to find solutions and fix these issues…as well as the patience to stay on it! Well done!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 07:12 PM   #15
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Glad to hear that you got it sorted out. 👍

Just out of curiosity, this is located on passenger side? And what year and how many miles?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 10:33 AM   #16
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBuggy View Post
Glad to hear that you got it sorted out. 👍

Just out of curiosity, this is located on passenger side? And what year and how many miles?
Yes, so there are only 3 mounts that hold up the engine and transmission via the engine bay. The “top” or “front” engine mount is the one I had trouble with. I believe it holds the majority of the weight and is why it is common to fail. The engine sits sideways with the front of the engine facing the passenger side. The lower engine mount or “stabilizer link” sits just to the right of the center of the engine bay, aft of the oil pan/starter. The final mount is called the transmission mount or something along those lines, and it is located just underneath (and kind of hidden) the air intake chamber. It’s easy to remove the air intake, but actually accessing that mount, I would look elsewhere online. It’s mounted to the drivers side engine bay frame. Temporarily removing the air intake box will allow you to at least get eyes on it and roughly inspect it.

This was all on a 2016 BMW X1 F48 with 80,000 miles. I will say the car came from Atlanta and I’m in Seattle — the car was very abused and is why I got a good price on it. I’ve fixed everything that it’s needed except the “secure vehicle against rolling” which I bought the spring for and will fix during the rainy season and new tires will be put on Saturday ! I’m hoping the continental crossclimate2 tires will do him wonders!
Appreciate 0