BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Iphone support

04-13-2017, 02:02 AM   #1
Smokingsig
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Iphone support

Hi,

Currently I use Android and BMW doesn't like Android

So I want to get myself an Iphone. Now in the arm rest there is a special compartment to connect an Iphone. Does this compartment support the connection to an Iphone SE ?

Greetz
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 03:34 AM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

I can't comment on the armrest adapter. Check and see which you have: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/showpa...diagId=03_2739

All iPhones are compatible once you are connected. I connect my 6 via Bluetooth and USB, as I don't have an adapter and find them redundant. Phone, iPod and contact book work without any issues. There is support for calendar too, but I've never used it myself. Siri works by pressing AND HOLDING the voice command button on your steering wheel for a couple of seconds.

CarPlay is not compatible. Quite annoying for a 2015 car when you see £10k Hyundai or KIA fully support CarPlay and Android whatsitsname. And Apple being Apple, there is no stand alone CarPlay app that turns your phone into a secondary display (I believe Google added this feature for older cars, but I'm not sure).

Here's how my setup works: I have a suction cup mount next to the A-pillar with a long black braided Lightning cable that's neatly tucked into the dashboard gaps and out of sight, going from the USB port to the A-pillar. This way, I can have a quick glance at the phone if an email or message comes in, then have Siri read it out loud to me, reply, etc. This also means I can use my phone as a secondary SatNav. There is minimum distraction with it being positioned almost next to the HUD.

Phone/iPod controls are displayed on your HUD, so there is no need to look at the phone. Spotify, Amazon Music, etc. also work without any issues.

Last edited by KPD; 04-13-2017 at 03:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 03:49 AM   #3
Smokingsig
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Do you have a picture of your mounted Iphone ?

Anyway I also use Bluetooth with my Android device and i can make calls, see messages ... but you need the usb connection / armrest adapter to fully use the Idrive (Spotify etc..) ?

Are there people here using the armrest adapter with an Iphone ?

Last edited by Smokingsig; 04-13-2017 at 04:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingsig View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Do you have a picture of your mounted Iphone ?
Here you go:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0