BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) paddle shifters - would you take it for xLine?

03-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
jevgeni
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

paddle shifters - would you take it for xLine?

Hi, doing a configuration of xLine - there is an option to take automatic "sport" transmission with paddle shifters for around 300$. Is it really worth it - what would be the use case (except for drifting)?

If you have them - are there any cons? Is it maybe less comfortable to hold the wheel? Or the look is not so attractive..? Does the transmission part differ itself or is it just the matter of having these extra little paddles on the wheel?

Can someone share photos both of the wheel and the transmission, if you don't have it? Cannot find non-sport transmission to see in showrooms nearby.

many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 02:02 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

I am not using my paddles - but using manual mode/Sport outside town. Shifting with the stick.

However, I belive you loose the manual mode or Sport with STD gearbox.

I believe functionality is the same on X1/Aisin as X4/ZF.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 02:21 AM   #3
Saltire
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 2017

Garage List
I have the paddles on a 2.0d xLine, and love them. The car's back at the dealer just now (see the "Radio woes" thread), but I can take some photos when it comes back, if no one else has.

I find it very handy to be able just to twitch a finger to downshift without taking my hand off the wheel - and I can do it in normal or sport mode too. Also have paddles on the 140i, and wouldn't be without. By way of comparison, I had an E46 SMG M3, with no paddles, IIRC, and prefer this setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 04:35 AM   #4
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I have the paddle shifts on my 2.0i xLine (UK) and to be honest I never use them. To answer one of your questions, they certainly don't get in the way and I've never found my hands/fingers knocking into them by accident. I find the 8-speed auto does a good job for general "family" driving, and if I want to accelerate hard for an overtake then I just use the kick-down on the accelerator pedal.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 04:42 AM   #5
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

My experience is similar to CliveL however I do occasionally use the paddles to downshift for extra engine braking going down steep hills. I find there is plenty of power and torque available all the time and so far have not even used the kickdown (almost 11 months use). All in all - I would rather have them available.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
TC3
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xdrive Sport

Have them on the 2.0d Sportline. Never used and dont see the point in them as just keep it in auto all the time. No they do not get in the way....would never knew I had them if I didnt look
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #7
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

I haven't used the paddles for anything other than playing around. I do use the sport mode on the transmission (pushing the lever left) on a regular basis to 1. keep engine going at this intersection and/or 2. get through an intersection much more quickly from a stop
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #8
aevans
Rep
Drives: x1

I have the paddles, but never really use them. I think they look cool, and feel kinda sporty when you accidentally touch them but they don't get in the way. I think they make your car sellable as everyone wants paddles...

I think I the sport auto has faster shifts than the standard auto does it not?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 02:24 AM   #9
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

I never used them in my M135i, and in that car they blocked the view of parts of the indicator/wiper stalks (especially the badly placed little green light that shows auto-wipe selected).
So - I did not tick the box for the (£150) sports auto transmission option on my X1.

However, just before my X1 went into production, BMW (here in the UK at least) made the Sports Transmission the standard (and only) auto box. So I ended up with the damn paddles anyway - but at least I didn't pay for them.
I still don't use them, but they don't seem as obtrusive as they were in the M135i.
      03-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #10
MikeUK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0d M Sport

Over the last 12 months of ownership I have used mine a couple of times just because they are there. Would not get in future if there was extra cost involved. Putting transmission into Sport mode seems easier.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Have to go with everyone else on this: I've hardly ever used the paddles, and that was just for fun. If you were driving flat-out on a twisty road you might feel the benefit, but the auto is so good at changing down under braking (Particularly in Sport mode) that in normal driving you won't miss the manual control.

The paddles themselves don't get in the way at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #12
Longdoggy
Master Bates
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340 xDrive

I love the paddles. For me; it's a no-brainer! When I want to feel engaged I'll use them. Then again; I'm in sport mode 98% of the time and would not have bought this car without the M Sports package and suspension. I feel that package really makes the car.
I say add M Package and enjoy. But, that's me.

RETIRED: 2011 E90 335i xDrive — Cobb AP3, PE Exhaust, Alpina TCU Flash, VRSF Charge Pipe
2017 Estoril Blue X1 M Sport — JB4
Appreciate 0