BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) How to switch between two different iPhones on CarPlay

12-30-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
MtnHank
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 19 BMW X1 x

How to switch between two different iPhones on CarPlay

This would seem possible, but maybe not doable. My phone is connected to CarPlay and works fine. We want to add my wife's phone and be able to select or switch between them depending on who is driving. When we connect her phone, we don't see it under "Known Devices." Her phone is connected, but soon drops off and CarPlay appears to default to my phone. It would be very inconvenient to disconnect my phone and connect hers each time. We have iPhone 8s running 13.3. Is this not going to happen? Thank for your time to reply.

Last edited by MtnHank; 12-30-2019 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
MtnHank
Enlisted Member
Rep

Since there were no replies as to whether it is possible to have 2 iPhones connected to BMW Carplay at the sometime, I can only assume that it is not possible. Maybe coming under some software update by BMW?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #3
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

You're probably never going to see this happen, it's too much a niche function.

For your situation you should have both phones paired to the car, and then go in and manage them in mobile devices to select which one is the CarPlay selection and which is the non-Carplay, as you're already doing, you'd almost be better off if you had the limited BT that only allows a single phone to pair.

But even then, since CarPlay no longer requires full screen access there's no reason one of them can't always be CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Since you need this for your wife's driving of the X1, have you tried different drivers profiles?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
MtnHank
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
You're probably never going to see this happen, it's too much a niche function.

For your situation you should have both phones paired to the car, and then go in and manage them in mobile devices to select which one is the CarPlay selection and which is the non-Carplay, as you're already doing, you'd almost be better off if you had the limited BT that only allows a single phone to pair.

But even then, since CarPlay no longer requires full screen access there's no reason one of them can't always be CarPlay.
I wasn't very clear in my initial post. What you described is really what I want to do. That is, have each phone paired to Carplay and be able to select which is to be used and have the other, while still paired available and selected, when she is the driver, one at a time. It seems at least for now that when we try to pair her phone, it disconnects after a few minutes. Her phone does not show up as a "known device." I discovered that her phone does not have a name, so perhaps now that it is named it may show up under "manage mobile devices" when my phone is in use. Sorry for the long reply. Haven't had a chance to try again. I hope we are discussing the same thing. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #6
MtnHank
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Since you need this for your wife's driving of the X1, have you tried different drivers profiles?
I haven't formally set up named drivers' profiles, just the assignment the vehicle automatically makes with personal fobs. I just read the manual as to which systems and functions are stored. Didn't see anything close. This is an option to be tried, if all else fails. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      01-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A lot depends on if your system allows 1 or 2 simultaneous connected phones, if it allows 2 that's different than a system that only allows 1.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
MtnHank
Enlisted Member
Rep

This short youtube video has the answer: https://www.passportbmw.com/blogs/84...th-in-your-bmw
It states if your BMW is equipped with enhanced BT multiple devices can be connected. How can that be determined?

I assume I have Enhanced BT and will start over. Should work

Last edited by MtnHank; 01-02-2020 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHank View Post
This short youtube video has the answer: https://www.passportbmw.com/blogs/84...th-in-your-bmw
It states if your BMW is equipped with enhanced BT multiple devices can be connected. How can that be determined?

I assume I have Enhanced BT and will start over. Should work
If you can pair both phones via BT and then in the communication section of the home display you see 2 phones showing, you have the enhanced BT.

That only solves the 2 phones part, the 2 CarPlay is tougher since as far as I know CarPlay is not set to swap easily, if you're both always in the car then the answer is one of the 2 phones should be Carplay, I say this since carply no longer demands phone screen exclusivity and can run in the background.

If you're saying only one phone will be in the car at a time for Carplay then that may work, but this is not a scenario Apple thinks of, they're stuck at "single user is the only driver of the car"
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #10
MtnHank
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm not interest in a Ford, never had one. In my search this did turn up. Apparently, Ford Sync does allow multiple phones to be connected and then to select the one you want to use, even if both phones are in the vehicle and on. This leads me to think that this is a production issue, i.e. what BMW has.
https://www.5starford.com/blog-tuesd...nes-with-sync/
I have enough info now and will try this out. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #11
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHank View Post
I'm not interest in a Ford, never had one. In my search this did turn up. Apparently, Ford Sync does allow multiple phones to be connected and then to select the one you want to use, even if both phones are in the vehicle and on. This leads me to think that this is a production issue, i.e. what BMW has.
https://www.5starford.com/blog-tuesd...nes-with-sync/
I have enough info now and will try this out. Thanks for your help.
Syncing and connection of multiple phones is not the issue and that's what I've been saying.
If you don't have enhanced BT you can only have one connected, if you DO have enhanced BT you can have two phones connected.

It's the swapping of multiple phones and having CarPlay active that might stop you, CarPlay is a "phone is married to a single car" model and how multiple CarPlay phones will behave for you is the one thing I can't answer, in my case with 2 iphones I have to go in to "manage my mobile devices" and tell it to enable Carplay on phone #2 and then it disconnects Carplay from phone #1, it's more steps than it's worth which is why I keep suggesting that if you'll both be in the car then just choose one phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #12
bimmoris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would expect using separate profiles to work and be most simple way to accomplish this if it does. Hope it does work. Have only one phone registered under each profile.
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      01-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #13
MtnHank
Enlisted Member
Rep

This can be done easily, in the case of 2019 US X1 drive. I know I have Enhanced Bluetooth, because I paired both phones to my vehicle, but one has to be either not in the vehicle or turned off. Make sure both phones have names. When both are paired they will be listed under "Manage Mobile Devices." Use CarPlay by selecting the chosen phone, again make sure the other phone is off or away from the vehicle. To switch phones, turn the first one off and the second one on, then select that phone by its name, under Manage Devices. Both of my phones are iPhone 8, running 13.3.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #14
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure why you say the second phone needs to be off, I always have both phones on and both stay paired, I can see 2 phones listed in the communication square in the home screen.

As I was saying, you would swap CarPlay in the Manage my devices section, but that's a lot more steps than it should be to be "easy"
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:17 AM   #15
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

Having 2 phones trying to use CP on my GF's 4series doesn't work, it breaks the registration of the non-active phone. I've just disabled CarPlay support for my phone in her car and use the built in functions when she's not with me. This has resolved the issues of "why did you break my car" . My 2016 X1 sadly is not CP eligible.
Appreciate 0