BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Engine Oil Filter Housing Cooler

02-18-2023, 05:46 PM   #1
dudezi
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Engine Oil Filter Housing Cooler

FYI, need 2 sets of gasket #6 & #8, the gaskets are so expensive, you can get the whole no-name-brand housing for $75 on ebay. the procedures to remove the housing looks straight forward from the shop manual. I'll share my experience.
Attached Images

Last edited by dudezi; 02-19-2023 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 10:35 AM   #2
dudezi
Private
Rep

housing is held by 5x E11 bolts, can only take it out from top, need to remove intake manifold to make some room; Intake Manifold is held by 5x 10mm bolts.

coolant leaking is caused by cracked plastic wall, see attached photo. I had to order a new on.

the price of 2x set of gaskets is almost the same as a new aftermarket housing(comes with new gaskets) there is a all metal version of the housing too, if I had to do it again, I'd just buy a new housing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 11:51 AM   #3
dudezi
Private
Rep

is it a good idea to get an all aluminum housing? other than it is made in China no name brand.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/G/...483369110_.gif

Aluminum will be hotter than plastic composites, will it cause gaskets hardening ? any concern mounting aluminum housing to aluminum engine body?

BMW housing is made by Mahle, I can't find OEM anyway, all reputable online part suppliers are carrying either BMW ($700 plus) or 3rd party (~$100)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 10:00 AM   #4
Banditx1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw x1

Oil filter housing

I have a coolant Leak from oil filter housing any type of instructions online anyone can provide on step to take to replace it much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 09:43 AM   #5
schutterj
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini, 645, X3, X5

Yes, ditto any removal tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 05:55 PM   #6
Icycharizard
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Same same, I’m about to change this!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 11:22 AM   #7
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudezi View Post
housing is held by 5x E11 bolts, can only take it out from top, need to remove intake manifold to make some room; Intake Manifold is held by 5x 10mm bolts.

coolant leaking is caused by cracked plastic wall, see attached photo. I had to order a new on.

the price of 2x set of gaskets is almost the same as a new aftermarket housing(comes with new gaskets) there is a all metal version of the housing too, if I had to do it again, I'd just buy a new housing.
Hey, I happen to have this issue as well. When you drained the coolant did you pull it with a vacuum or just pull the lowest coolant hose and let it drain?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 11:28 AM   #8
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Updating this.
I ended up going with the aluminum housing from ECS (Bremmen brand).

A few notes for anyone else.
You do not need to drain all of the coolant. We just removed the lower coolant hose for the transmission cooler and let that drain as much as possible, some of the hoses above that will need to be removed as well to have access to removing the oil cooler so it's good to drain that lower hose first.

If you go with the aluminum housing assembly the OEM filter housing plug will not fit in the filter housing supplied with the new aluminum assembly. So if you want to use the OEM filter plug you have to swap over your OEM plastic filter housing.

Pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-12-2024, 03:35 PM   #9
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

How long did this job take you?

I'm assuming engine covers need to come off, then the intake, then what else besides hoses need to come out to get at it?
      04-16-2024, 07:49 AM   #10
jcreme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3, 2016 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
How long did this job take you?

I'm assuming engine covers need to come off, then the intake, then what else besides hoses need to come out to get at it?
Also the intercooler hose. The clips are finicky and you will need to pry the center portion of the clip out (gently). Moving the sides up does not release the clip as it appears it should.

Also, the manual says to drill out the rivets on the aluminum subframe rail, but I was able to squeeze it out by flexing/squeezing the hose.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 10:44 AM   #11
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcreme View Post
Also the intercooler hose. The clips are finicky and you will need to pry the center portion of the clip out (gently). Moving the sides up does not release the clip as it appears it should.

Also, the manual says to drill out the rivets on the aluminum subframe rail, but I was able to squeeze it out by flexing/squeezing the hose.
Say what? Drill what? No, no drilling is required nor was there a time I thought we would have to drill into anything. Whatever manual you were looking at is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 07:04 PM   #12
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcreme View Post
End to end how long was it to do the job? I've got the lift for 6 hours this sunday, will need to get it all wrapped on that timeline.

From what I can see it looks a lot like you remove the intake, air filter assembly, pull the cooling fan assembly, and pull a few coolant hoses and you're there.

How does this take 10 hours if you have all the tools and a lift?

Last edited by NiNeTyOne; 04-19-2024 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 09:18 PM   #13
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
End to end how long was it to do the job? I've got the lift for 6 hours this sunday, will need to get it all wrapped on that timeline.

From what I can see it looks a lot like you remove the intake, air filter assembly, pull the cooling fan assembly, and pull a few coolant hoses and you're there.

How does this take 10 hours if you have all the tools and a lift?
Did you get all your replacement gaskets? You should replace the intake manifold gaskets, you should replace the plastic coolant pipe w/gasket that you will remove to get the cooler out. Use extreme care when removing the intake manifold, it is plastic and fragile. Make sure you have all your BMW coolant to replace what you take out.
Where are you doing this at?
And you do not need to pull the cooling fan assembly.
Keep in mind you need to drain most of the coolant (and catch as much as you can) so as to not make a mess.

Last edited by knightarmor; 04-20-2024 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #14
jcreme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3, 2016 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Say what? Drill what? No, no drilling is required nor was there a time I thought we would have to drill into anything. Whatever manual you were looking at is wrong.
Totally right. The intercooler hose doesn't need to come out either. I was thinking of another job.

Think, then post.
Appreciate 0