BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 Late 2018 upgrade 6.5 CID to 8.8

06-07-2019, 06:57 AM   #1
Beams
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2018

X1 Late 2018 upgrade 6.5 CID to 8.8

Hi All,

I have been looking into upgrading the CID to bigger 8.8". But I have a few concerns about the upgrade, hopefully you can help to clarify.

* Does the CID upgrade void warranty?
* Does the upgrade disables or removes my current subscriptions?

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beams View Post
Hi All,

I have been looking into upgrading the CID to bigger 8.8". But I have a few concerns about the upgrade, hopefully you can help to clarify.

If you carefully and correctly replace the 6.5” screen with a genuine (BMW oem) 8.8” screen with correct part number for the car then BMW would legally struggle to void your warranty (except in relation to the screen). [Please note this is an International forum and my comment is in respect of U.K. law].

I replaced my screen and it has no effect on any OTA/ subscription services. In brief this means all iDrive functions work exactly as before, with a few layout and feature improvements (made possible due to larger screen size. Eg. Split screen) Please note however that your HU (Head Unit) would need to be coded for the larger screen to work. I have posted details of the code changes needed within several threads on this forum. Plugging in the larger screen without coding will give you a blank display.

Coding change needed to upgrade 6.5” display to 8.8” for f48
Using Bimmercode in expert mode HU NBT 3005 display_pip_config section
Change CID_Display_res from 800x480 to 1280x480
Change CID_Display_ size from 6.5 to 8.8
Now go out and enter 3001 section and find
Display_Variante and change from schmal (German for narrow) to breites (wide)
Now go into Nav section
Find Display_Resolution and change from 800x480 to 1280x480
In brief 4 coding changes in 3 separate section of NBT HU ecu
All changes require expert mode.
Screen works after first two code changes, nav will work also but you need to change res in nav section to get full screen effect in map view and finally section 3005 change is needed otherwise idrive home screen will only show two menu icons (like in 6.5 display) rather than 3.

Last edited by MJE60; 06-11-2019 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Beams
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

If you carefully and correctly replace the 6.5" screen with a genuine (BMW oem) 8.8" screen with correct part number for the car then BMW would legally struggle to void your warranty (except in relation to the screen). [Please note this is an International forum and my comment is in respect of U.K. law].

I replaced my screen and it has no effect on any OTA/ subscription services. In brief this means all iDrive functions work exactly as before, with a few layout and feature improvements (made possible due to larger screen size. Eg. Split screen) Please note however that your HU (Head Unit) would need to be coded for the larger screen to work. I have posted details of the code changes needed within several threads on this forum. Plugging in the larger screen without coding will give you a blank display.

Coding change needed to upgrade 6.5" display to 8.8" for f48
Now go into Nav section
Screen works after first two code changes, nav will work also but you need to change res in nav section to get full screen effect in map view and finally section 3005 change is needed otherwise idrive home screen will only show two menu icons (like in 6.5 display) rather than 3.
Thank you for providing such detailed reply. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 03:27 AM   #4
Xtra1
Rep
Drives: X1 Xline Xdrive 2.0i Auto

Quote:
If you carefully and correctly replace the 6.5” screen with a genuine (BMW oem) 8.8” screen with correct part number for the car then BMW would legally struggle to void your warranty (except in relation to the screen). [Please note this is an International forum and my comment is in respect of U.K. law].

Now go into Nav section
Hello, have read your info in upgrading screen from 6.5 to 8.8 and am looking to do the same. A few questions, did you use a brand new BMW sourced screen or a second hand unit from eBay or similar? Does replacement screen need to be same production year as vehicle it’s being installed in? Does the coding also upgrade things like map view to the better 3D type view of a factory fitted unit? Lastly, did you also change the drive control to the touch type?
Many thanks, Clive
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtra1 View Post
Hello, have read your info in upgrading screen from 6.5 to 8.8 and am looking to do the same. A few questions, did you use a brand new BMW sourced screen or a second hand unit from eBay or similar? Does replacement screen need to be same production year as vehicle it’s being installed in? Does the coding also upgrade things like map view to the better 3D type view of a factory fitted unit? Lastly, did you also change the drive control to the touch type?
Many thanks, Clive
Hi
I sourced my screen second hand through eBay. I made sure the screen was correct part number for build date. The screen I bought was actually a few months newer than the car but I also bought a touch controller several months older than the car (as long as part number is correct for build date and model there is no problem with coding etc). Coding will allow you to set up features available for the larger screen size (such as split screen). What coding will not be able to do is code/enable features found on professional Nav , remember the Nav software remains business Nav on X1/X2 and in order to install professional Nav you would need fsc code from BMW and possible larger memory/storage. In brief, coding allows you to enable some software features on your car which have not been factory enabled (possibly because it is a cost option or country specific).
I did change my iDrive controller to touch but it is not necessary. I did it because I wanted to change my 6UN to full 6UP option but I actually do not use the controller. In UK With right hand drive and me being right handed it is very difficult to use. If you do want to make change remember you will also need touch control unit (language specific) and a y-splitter cable so you can piggy back on touch controller connector (the factory fit control unit is fitted near door pillar.

Last edited by MJE60; 10-14-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
Xtra1
Rep
Drives: X1 Xline Xdrive 2.0i Auto

Many thanks for response. Will report back when I attempt the retrofit!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 06:37 AM   #7
Antonio Galdeano
Registered
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMX X1 F48 X Line

Hello, talking about CDI upgrade. Does someone know the OEM part number for LCI 10,5 " for upgrade of 8,8" ?
is it a plug and play for assembly, requiring only codding set up ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #8
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Hi All,

I have 6.5" screen with Nav. If I swap it with 8.8 screen ( 65509387451) and do the coding, does it work as expected?

The reason that I'm asking is the compatibility with my Dash Unit / NBT system.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #9
Camil
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 sdrive 18d

Hi. I just bought an x1 sdrive 18d from 2018, July 2018. I would like to change the 6.5 touch screen to an 8.8 screen but I don't know what reference to buy. Is there any way to know which one to buy. thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #10
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Hi All,

I have an aftermarket AVIN HU in mine. The dealership noticed it and mentioned it but still performed warranty work on my car (it wasn't related to the Screen). Obviously, if I went in there saying my screen or head unit wasn't working I wouldn't expect them to warranty the screen -- But I still have my old one just in case I need to replace it.
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      12-08-2019, 05:50 AM   #11
Camil
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 sdrive 18d

I have a doubt If the original screen of my car is touch and I want to retrofit one of 8.8, does this have to be touch?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #12
korovkinea
Rep
Drives: x1 2018

Exclamation

Quote:

Now go into Nav section
I have Bmw F48 2018 with 6.5 id6. I bought a screen 8.8 65509387451 and did everything according to the instructions. But nothing works. it says "no signal"

Please help me

P.S.
maybe 8.8 screen is not suitable? I tried changing other APIX parameters as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #13
maaii11
Private
Rep
Drives: Mini F54

Hi Sir

Do you have touch function on 6.5 CID? I think your headunit is entrynav2 evo, this headunit only support APIX2 CID. So you need to upgrade your CID to "touch version".
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #14
korovkinea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaii11 View Post
Hi Sir

Do you have touch function on 6.5 CID? I think your headunit is entrynav2 evo, this headunit only support APIX2 CID. So you need to upgrade your CID to "touch version".
I have 6.5 CID - not touch

I tried to install apix 2 and automatic. the inscription on the screen "no signal"
This is 8,8' screen
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #15
maaii11
Private
Rep
Drives: Mini F54

Could you share your cafd file of headunit ?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 04:33 AM   #16
korovkinea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaii11 View Post
Could you share your cafd file of headunit ?

here is the file. not sure i read it right

maybe the screen is not suitable for my head? 2016 screen. and the car 2018 (almost Restayl)
Attached Files
File Type: txt cafd_01.txt (192 Bytes, 235 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 04:37 AM   #17
korovkinea
Rep

This is my old screen
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #18
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

I would like to warn everybody to make sure they get the right part number for their car by using their VIN.
Please remember this is an international forum and specifications vary, for example USA cars have a slightly different head unit to EU model cars (due to digital radio std) and cars in Russia, Japan and Taiwan may have NBT evo head units. All these differences can mean you require a different CID part apart from the fact that getting the right part for your build date can be important for some coding changes.
I suggest you check which part you require using tools such as
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
Or

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...xdrive20d-sav/

For info the CID I fitted in my Nov 2017 x1 was 6550 8797400 - my car is a EU spec car.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-02-2020 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #19
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by korovkinea View Post
here is the file. not sure i read it right

maybe the screen is not suitable for my head? 2016 screen. and the car 2018 (almost Restayl)
Hi korovkinea
Sorry to read your problem. For a start the part you tried to fit was superseded twice by part 65508797400 (from 03 JAN 2018) and earlier by part 65506844128. Second issue is that the part you fitted was for EU/USA cars with ENTRYNAV Head Unit built between July 2015 and July 2017. Many cars in Russia have NBTevo HU which uses a different CID. Sorry, without your VIN I cannot be certain but I suspect the part will not work in your car.

For anyone else, please be wary buying parts using part numbers given by forum members, this is an international forum and specs vary between markets. What works for USA cars can be wrong for EU cars (for example airbags) and some markets have completely different Head Units altogether. Always check part using your car VIN.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:16 PM   #20
korovkinea
Rep

Quote:
Hi korovkinea
Sorry to read your problem. For a start the part you tried to fit was superseded twice by part 65508797400 (from 03 JAN 2018) and earlier by part 65506844128. Second issue is that the part you fitted was for EU/USA cars with ENTRYNAV Head Unit built between July 2015 and July 2017. Many cars in Russia have NBTevo HU which uses a different CID. Sorry, without your VIN I cannot be certain but I suspect the part will not work in your car.

For anyone else, please be wary buying parts using part numbers given by forum members, this is an international forum and specs vary between markets. What works for USA cars can be wrong for EU cars (for example airbags) and some markets have completely different Head Units altogether. Always check part using your car VIN.
my x4xht99460ec46435

please help find the right part number
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 01:07 AM   #21
korovkinea
Rep

If I already bought a screen, please advise the head unit. That I would have a apple сarplay
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #22
korovkinea
Rep

Done
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
iceman7117.00
MJE60678.00