BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Folding door mirrors

01-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #1
West17th
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Folding door mirrors

I've got a US-market 2020 X2 and there's an odd omission. The mirrors will fold in using a button on the door trim. However, they won't fold in automatically when locking the vehicle like other cars.

Is this a US-market thing? Does anyone know a way to change this so the they auto-fold? I can't see a way to do this in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #2
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Bimmercode will let you code in this optional behavior.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #3
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Second that!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep
Drives: X2 M35i

On the key fob when you are really close to the car press and hold the lock button for about 5 seconds and it will fold in. You can also do this via the door handles. No need for Coding it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #5
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazonyoursix View Post
On the key fob when you are really close to the car press and hold the lock button for about 5 seconds and it will fold in. You can also do this via the door handles. No need for Coding it.
But Bimmercode will do it without any intervention should someone want it that way, and it's such a great tool for so many other reasons I have no reason not to suggest it.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #6
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
But Bimmercode will do it without any intervention should someone want it that way, and it's such a great tool for so many other reasons I have no reason not to suggest it.
If only we could program the HUD to display the tachometer and/or gear number.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:25 PM   #7
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Leonard View Post
If only we could program the HUD to display the tachometer and/or gear number.
Heck, I'd pay money to get the HUD to show CarPlay supplied navigation, that would be higher at least on my list
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
West17th
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Bimmercode

Thanks, everyone, that's excellent news. Holding down the keyfob seems such an oddly retro step vs the automated folding that some non-US markets must have.

I didn't know about Bimmercode and this looks an excellent app. I live in the Facebook world so much of the time. One forgets the value of older platforms like forums such as this - it's a super helpful resource.

Thanks again,

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazonyoursix View Post
I think that makes sense, but would this be a problem in colder climates in winter, if ice was on the mirror when it automatically closed. I have no idea, as I just use the button, but I was wondering about that issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:57 AM   #10
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
I think that makes sense, but would this be a problem in colder climates in winter, if ice was on the mirror when it automatically closed. I have no idea, as I just use the button, but I was wondering about that issue?
Yes and no, most folks have it work fine, but a few have had issues with ice encrusted mirrors trying to fold in or out.
Personally I don't need the mirrors folded, but to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 09:59 AM   #11
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I used to have my e60 coded to fold automatically.. but after a few of those winter ugly days and me freaking out with all the cracks and pops.. I only fold them manually with the button or the key when I'm parking.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Yes and no, most folks have it work fine, but a few have had issues with ice encrusted mirrors trying to fold in or out.
Personally I don't need the mirrors folded, but to each their own.
Comfort access allows you to lock the door without mirrors folding.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 10:45 PM   #13
Alpha8Dog
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Bimmercode will let you code in this optional behavior.
I have an AUS delivered X1 F48. I got to this thread searching for 'folding mirrors'.

I just used Bimmercode to make Active "Automatically fold/unfold mirrors". The description of that item in Bimmercode mentions Comfort access. So I was expecting that the mirrors would fold when locking the car with a touch on the door handle pad.

However the mirrors do not fold when locked with the door handle pad (Comfort access). They do fold with a 'press and hold' on the door pad, but this is the default (as delivered) behaviour that I was wishing to change. They do now fold with a single press of the key fob button, so that has changed. All the other 'switches' in Bimmercode under the section for mirrors are Active.

Is there a way to have the mirrors fold when locking the car with a single touch on the door handle pad, or am I out of luck? Thanks kindly for your help.

BTW I have successfully removed the 'nag' at startup which is great. I'm using an iPhone and a OBDLink MX+ adaptor.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 10:53 AM   #14
jon328i
Wheelmaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39, S209, VB-WRX

I have the same issue with my folding mirrors, you have to hold the lock button for about 2 to 3 seconds then it will fold, but don't want to do this, bought myself the OBDlink CX module plus bimmecode app and coded the folding mirror function.
Appreciate 0