BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Disable the bluetooth automatically playing music

05-19-2016, 11:33 PM   #1
newx1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

Disable the bluetooth automatically playing music

I have been facing a problem and am not so sure if it is to do with some configuration/setting.

Every time I enter the car, the BMW bluetooth syncs with my phone and pulls up the music app (called SAAVAN) and starts playing the songs. It does this a couple mins after the car starts to move.

The only way to stop the song is to stop it from the phone by pressing pause. That becomes a driving risk as I do not want to pull out my phone while driving.

The annoying thing is that I had closed the music app before entering the car and still the car always pulls it up and starts playing the songs. How to avoid this ?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:27 AM   #2
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by newx1 View Post
I have been facing a problem and am not so sure if it is to do with some configuration/setting.

Every time I enter the car, the BMW bluetooth syncs with my phone and pulls up the music app (called SAAVAN) and starts playing the songs. It does this a couple mins after the car starts to move.

The only way to stop the song is to stop it from the phone by pressing pause. That becomes a driving risk as I do not want to pull out my phone while driving.

The annoying thing is that I had closed the music app before entering the car and still the car always pulls it up and starts playing the songs. How to avoid this ?
I normally use a USB thumb drive in the USB slot for music. While I was testing some other features I removed the USB drive and then I had the situation you are describing (I have an Android phone and it was Google Play that was starting up on the phone)

I am sorry, I don't have an answer - just a confirmation that I experienced the same thing
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 06:51 AM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

It might be helpful to know which phone you have. As Bill says above, it seems some Android phones do not play well with the BMW Bluetooth system
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
newx1
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have an iphone. The problem does not seem to be type of the phone. It seems to be the car and the way they have coded it.

1. The car automatically pulls up the app which it should not do.

2. Additionally, it does not do that until the car is in motion. It could have attempted it when I sat in the car. But it will wait until the car is in motion.

3. Suddenly music will start when the car is in motion and then shutting it off is a pain as I either have to pull over or try to stop the music from my phone while driving. Both of these options are not safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
ttimbo
Major
Rep

What version of iPhone and is the iOS software the latest version (9.3.2)?

Both my wife and I have iPhones -- hers an iPhone 6 and mine an iPhone 6s+ -- and neither of us have experienced the problem you describe. While we don't use the app you have, we do regularly use the Apple Music app as well as TuneIn radio, Pandora and Spotify via Bluetooth, and no issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
newx1
Enlisted Member
Rep

It is not just one app.

It pulls up whatever is there on the last played thing on Iphone. If it were a video that I was watching then it starts that.

There are a couple of updates available for bluetooth and usb and will try and see if it fixes the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 01:07 AM   #7
ttimbo
Major
Rep

I just repeat the importance of ensuring the iPhone's o/s and apps are up to date
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 01:14 AM   #8
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by newx1 View Post
It is not just one app.

It pulls up whatever is there on the last played thing on Iphone. If it were a video that I was watching then it starts that.

There are a couple of updates available for bluetooth and usb and will try and see if it fixes the issue.
The auto-play feature on iPhone has been around for years, and plenty of iPhone users have complained about the same issue that you are encountering. The autoplay feature plays whatever music program you use the very last time. I think if you restart your phone, Apple Music will become the default music program to start when your phone is connected to the car. Unfortunately, Apple still doesn't offer iPhone a way to turn off autoplay.

I've found turning off your stereo before turning off the car would solve this problem. This way when you start your car the next time, the stereo is off and should not trigger the auto-play feature. Hope this works for you...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 02:03 AM   #9
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Neither of our families four iPhone 6/6s do this
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #10
augkor
Rep
Drives: No BMW Yet

I'm sorry I also do not have the answer, but confirming that I have an iPhone 6s and this happens to me also. I find it very annoying and would also like to know how to stop it from happening.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

So I'm intrigued... Say if you exit the car with the radio on, when you get back in does the phone connect and change from radio to BT and start playing media content?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #12
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Aha! I think I know about the "problem" being described here, and I reckon it's a feature, not a failure!

If you have configured your b/t phone to stream music through the BMW b/t system, and you select it as the source through the Media button on iDrive, then -- yes -- it will begin playing through the car stereo as intended. Because you've selected it as "the source". This will continue to be the case while ever you have Media selected on the iDrive (instead of, for example, radio), and will commence playing again even after you've exited the car for some hours, and got back in. In exactly the same way that the radio will come on, set to the last station you were listening to when you got out of the car. Nothing unusual in that, surely?

However, there is one piece of behavior that people may not understand, and that is the b/t phone. When you set it up in the car, you may have selected one app as the source, for example, Spotify. That's what will play when you then select Media on iDrive, and select your phone as the source. If you then leave the car, and during the day, quit the Spotify app running on your phone, when you get back in the car (which still has Media and your phone selected as the source) the phone will apply some logic to open one of its media apps (usually the default Music player app) because that's what the car's b/t system has asked it to do. And, yes, on my car the usual default is for the iPhone to start playing the tracks in my Music app in alphabetical order. But I can override this using the iDrive, either to select another playlist, album or artist, or switch the source to radio.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #13
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Aha! I think I know about the "problem" being described here, and I reckon it's a feature, not a failure!

If you have configured your b/t phone to stream music through the BMW b/t system, and you select it as the source through the Media button on iDrive, then -- yes -- it will begin playing through the car stereo as intended. Because you've selected it as "the source". This will continue to be the case while ever you have Media selected on the iDrive (instead of, for example, radio), and will commence playing again even after you've exited the car for some hours, and got back in. In exactly the same way that the radio will come on, set to the last station you were listening to when you got out of the car. Nothing unusual in that, surely?

However, there is one piece of behavior that people may not understand, and that is the b/t phone. When you set it up in the car, you may have selected one app as the source, for example, Spotify. That's what will play when you then select Media on iDrive, and select your phone as the source. If you then leave the car, and during the day, quit the Spotify app running on your phone, when you get back in the car (which still has Media and your phone selected as the source) the phone will apply some logic to open one of its media apps (usually the default Music player app) because that's what the car's b/t system has asked it to do. And, yes, on my car the usual default is for the iPhone to start playing the tracks in my Music app in alphabetical order. But I can override this using the iDrive, either to select another playlist, album or artist, or switch the source to radio.

Hope that helps.
+1 that's what I was thinking, hence my question. If I've got media selected I expect the car to start playing from my phone the next time I get in... However I don't use any other streaming apps, only music on my iPhone
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:15 AM   #14
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I managed to wrestle the car from my wife yesterday and tested this out and it works as expected, there is a delay whilst the BT functions pairs. If you leave it in Media mode then the car will connect to the phone and start playing from that again when you next get in the car, my F10 is the same. I think Timbo's theory about default Apps for those of you using third party streaming apps is correct i.e. the phone/car will play the App that is set as the default music player...

You need to manually switch to another source other than Media if you don't want this to happen
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 1