BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Reverse camera from a different model

08-05-2023, 04:22 PM   #1
Newmann009
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Reverse camera from a different model

Hi
I have a BMW x1 f48, it doesn’t have with a reverse camera,
I have installed an android screen for the car (thanks to this forum) (pic of the android screen attached)
Now am planning to install a reverse camera. I have got a genuine BMW reverse camera (pictures attached) but it’s from model f20 - f36.
I have 2 questions.
1) Is it possible to install it ??
2) will I need the camera module ?? (As I have android screen)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 05:57 PM   #2
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

you cant install an oem camera directly to an aftermarket screen. you should just buy a non-oem camera for the f48 and connect that to the screen. No coding is required and you only need to run the rca connections to the screen to power it up.

oem - you need to run wires and connect to certain things then code it in. unless you’re familiar with coding and know where to run the oem camera wires, it’s really not worth it especially with an aftemarket screen.

go to amazon or aliexpress and buy one for $50 and use that. will be much easier and it looks oem.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 07:00 AM   #3
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Do you have part number? Then you can cross check if the camera / handle is used in more models

Please note that the handle & camera are too seperate parts:
Camera: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=66_0410
Handle: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2580.

Click on the partnumbers for cross reference. Looks like the handle is used in several models including 3 series so it should fit.

Look at this guide for mini (same platform as X1 so wiring is more or less the same and give you an idea of how wiring should go): https://www.minif56.com/threads/addi...86/post-837517

If you already have aftermarket screen I would go for aftermarket camera as suggested, probably you can DIY a solution with the handle you already bought.
Appreciate 0