BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Replace just brake pads or rotors+pads?

08-05-2022, 06:38 PM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I think you're good with the OEM rotors, but the pads are a different story. The OEM pads are a street/track pad, eat rotors, and you'll get no better street performance from them than you would a less expensive true street pad, which will also double the life of your rotors, be whisper quiet, and have 80% less dust. It's a no-brainer.
Thanks, what do you guys recommend for 100% street use? I dunno if I missed someone posting above about this topic.

Btw, I felt the rear rotors, definitely some lipping, so I'll probably have to replace both rotors & pads.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 10:36 PM   #24
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Consensus seems to be Akebono ceramics. I wish I had them for my BBK for street driving. I've been too lazy to hunt them down.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 03:37 AM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammysammich View Post
Consensus seems to be Akebono ceramics. I wish I had them for my BBK for street driving. I've been too lazy to hunt them down.
The prb is only my rears are due, I can't have different front (OEM rn) and rear pads, right? Are they priced similarly to what I posted?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 07:35 AM   #26
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
I think you're good with the OEM rotors, but the pads are a different story. The OEM pads are a street/track pad, eat rotors, and you'll get no better street performance from them than you would a less expensive true street pad, which will also double the life of your rotors, be whisper quiet, and have 80% less dust. It's a no-brainer.
"I like the way you think." -Thornton Melon.

OEM doesn't mean better. I late brake and I'm hard on my brakes for street driving due to my track experience, but I don't generate nearly as much heat obviously. I am still in awe over how well the Akebono pads have performed so far, and MUCH less dust resulting in me not having to be a slave keeping my wheels clean.
///MPhatic13538.50
      08-06-2022, 07:37 AM   #27
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
The prb is only my rears are due, I can't have different front (OEM rn) and rear pads, right? Are they priced similarly to what I posted?
Nope. I have Akebono front and OEM rear. The Akebono pads are significantly cheaper and they come with the sensor wire.
      08-06-2022, 09:02 AM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
Nope. I have Akebono front and OEM rear. The Akebono pads are significantly cheaper and they come with the sensor wire.
Ok cool! Do I just say "Akebono pads" or what is the model/part #/etc? Are these steel or ceramic pads, since I'm just getting the OEM rotors? Tx.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #29
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Thanks, what do you guys recommend for 100% street use? I dunno if I missed someone posting above about this topic.

Btw, I felt the rear rotors, definitely some lipping, so I'll probably have to replace both rotors & pads.

Blue brakes - Akebono's
2NH brakes - CarboTech 1521
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 06:43 PM   #30
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Blue brakes - Akebono's
2NH brakes - CarboTech 1521
Can you dumb it down for me because I dunno if those are 4 different brands, or which is the brand and which is the model haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 08:29 PM   #31
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Can you dumb it down for me because I dunno if those are 4 different brands, or which is the brand and which is the model haha.
If you have an OG M2 you have the blue brakes.
If you have an M2C, and are in the US, you have the 2NH.

If you have the blue brakes, you need Akebono pads.
If you have the 2NH you need the CarboTech 1521's.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 08:37 PM   #32
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If you have an OG M2 you have the blue brakes.
If you have an M2C, and are in the US, you have the 2NH.

If you have the blue brakes, you need Akebono pads.
If you have the 2NH you need the CarboTech 1521's.
I guess my car doesn't show up under my name? It's a 2011 Z4 35i, so which one do you recommend? It just looks like reg brake calipers to me, not painted. Tx.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 08:03 AM   #33
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I guess my car doesn't show up under my name? It's a 2011 Z4 35i, so which one do you recommend? It just looks like reg brake calipers to me, not painted. Tx.
Oh, sorry, thought you had an M2 (I didn't realize this was posted in the general forum).

I'd ask the guys in your specific forum, or just go to the Akebono website. If Akebono doesn't make pads for your car I'd try EBC Redstuff's.
Appreciate 1