BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion What wax do you use on your bimmer(s)?

06-27-2022, 09:18 PM   #23
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M550i View Post
Thanks. The siding is a natural cedar shake coated with Benjamin Moore Translucent Arborcoat
Benjamin Moore is very good and we have always used it.

also FINE PAINTS OF EUROPE - chk out their website for fun.
https://finepaintsofeurope.com
Appreciate 1
2022M550i3019.50
      06-28-2022, 07:17 AM   #24
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
How long the wax lasts mostly depends on how often you wash it. My process looks like this;

In the spring, clay bar, AIO and a coat or two of Souveran.

Over the summer when the Souveran looks to be diminishing in gloss, I give it another coat. Usually 3 coats throughout the summer (just the wax, as the AIO acrylic remains underneath).

In the fall I redo the AIO (which removes any remaining or built up wax) and a new coat of wax. As my garage is unheated I can't conveniently re-wax in the winter, so by spring the wax is long since gone, but the AIO underneath is still protecting the paint till I start over with the clay bar.

So in direct answer to your question, the wax topper lasts about 6-8 weeks with one wash a week. The AIO lasts much longer, at least the 6 months that I expect of it in my process.

My last 3 black BMWs all still had beautiful paint when I parted with them, despite our harsh, salty winters. I feel very comfortable with the products I have been using.
Many thanks!

I’m gonna have to try this one. I had XPEL Fusion Ceramic on my i3, and though it had great hydrophobic properties, there was no gloss or pop. I do miss that Bruce Leeroy glow!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 11:36 AM   #25
Bugs Meany
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228i GC xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joao.toscano View Post
I've it recommended by others indeed! Good beginner polisher! Link
I’m a beginner myself, so thanks for the link. This seems like a worthy purchase once my Amazon rewards points reload tonight.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #26
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Wolfgang is far and wide the best product ever. Easy to apply and work in too.

Paint Polish Enhancer + Deep Gloss. If you know you know.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2022, 12:03 PM   #27
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

Glad to see so many people starting to use the spray ceramic sealants, they are absolutely the way to go versus a wax on /wax off carnuba style wax. That stuff is so outdated versus the new ceramics in a bottle. Lasts just as long, takes half the effort. The griots 3-1 is killer…. I also like the gyeon Cancoat stuff….

Last edited by Glen e; 08-02-2022 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2022, 12:18 PM   #28
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

CMX is my go to.

Easy application.
Amazing shine
Bugs wipe off.

Water shedding is amazing, no water spots to speak of after a rain.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2022, 11:48 AM   #29
MacLean_007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M50i, 23 M8 Comp GC

Ceramic coating all the way, I have XPEL Ultimate Fusion that has ceramic coating built in and I use XPEL Detail Spray for the sexy shine.
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #30
OldDudesBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 328i xDrive+16 535i xDrive

My current regimen on my 2014 F30 has been 4 layers as such:

2 step correction\polishing - Meguiars 105/205 with orbital buffer - clear coat needed a good leveling after 8 years.

Ceramic coating on clean level base paint (2 coats, 24hr apart) - I've tried many with varying amount of "product". Trying the new and cheap Turtle Wax Ceramic this time. It's cheap, seems to work well, and I don't mind reapplying 2-3 times per year.

A good thick carnauba paste wax or rich wet liquid wax is the next layer. So many to choose from here. Chem guys, S100, Zymol, Collinite etc.

Finally, I use a 3 in 1 hybrid detailer on top of it all directly following, and then thereafter to keep it shining.

I know some that spend 3 to 5 times what I spend on products, but they never look 3 to 5 times better, or even distinguishable in most cases. In my book, the process and attention to detail are as important as the products used in many cases. And keeping after it once done. That said, of course there are cheaper inferior products. But there also are many very good value-based products on the market these days. My 0.02.
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #31
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I keep it simple and use Turtle Wax's 'Flex Wax'. Don't let the name fool you, it's not really a wax, it's a sealant and it's amazingly versatile. After applying a base coat all you need to do to maintain it is every now and then just reapply a quick coat and it'll last forever. You can do it on a dry car, but what makes it awesome is you can apply it while the car is wet. You can spray while wet and wipe or spray and rinse to top it off. It's not prone to water spotting like ceramic coatings, its gloss levels are unreal, and it repeals water just as good as a ceramic. Best of all it's relatively inexpensive and the amount you get with each bottle will last you for years.
I love Turtle Wax products. I love their ease of use and results. I literally want something that I can just spray on and wipe off with a microfiber towel. I do not want to sit there wasting time and effort buffing away a daily driven vehicle (I can understand the garage queens need a showroom quality finish but I ain't got time for that on a DD).

While I haven't tried this particular Turtle Wax product, I have their ICE spray wax and it's stupid easy to use. I only apply to the front of my cars simply to prevent bugs from baking on the clear coat - the added shine is a bonus. It makes washing the front of the car so much easier on the next wash. It will last 2-3 washes before it needs to be reapplied.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2022, 01:45 PM   #32
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Huh, I guess I'm old. I'm a Zaino user. I didn't figure I'd be the first to mention it.

Long ago I did a clay bar followed by a lot of coats of Zaino (I forget the exact order and what was used). I walked out to the car one afternoon and there was bird poop in a puddle on the pavement under the driver's side door. I thought to myself I was lucky the bird missed. It turns out it didn't, I could just barely make out an outline where it actually hit the door of the car, and what happened next was that it ran off afterwards instead of sticking. I was impressed and have used it ever since.

I don't put it on but maybe 3 times a year and the cars are shining.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #33
Rono63
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I have been using Jay Leno's Garage products for my last few cars. Applied his ceramic coating (Radiant) after having PPF installed. Usually lasts about 4 months. Wash with ceramic wash shampoo in between. Happy with the shine and slickness of the coating. Also his bug and tar remover works well.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #34
bolintiam
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80

Wax Choice

I used Blackfire for years and recently switched to Mazerna and Wolfgang - both of which cater specifically to german made cars/paint.
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      08-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #35
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Wax? That is so last month. Whatever this guys says to use...data talks.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ScottHD
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2022, 06:39 PM   #36
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Equinox --> BMW X1?

This is a great thread. I've got my first BMW order in with a delivery hopefully in October. What can I expect from the dealer regarding Simoniz-type offers? Will they pressure me into paying for that? Is a ceramic coat better than Simoniz? This will be for a new X1 in San Remo green and it will be parked off street, but no garage, fully in the elements in New England.
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2022, 10:02 PM   #37
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep

You do not want a dealer to put anything on it that he sells. It’s all crap. Find a reputable detailer and either ceramic coat it the car or choose one of the many protectant products from a reputable Detailing website. It’s not hard. In fact it’s gotten a lot easier now than there are many good products that are sprays like the CMX above, that are no more than how you apply Windex And last six months to a year
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2022, 10:41 PM   #38
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromans1 View Post
This is a great thread. I've got my first BMW order in with a delivery hopefully in October. What can I expect from the dealer regarding Simoniz-type offers? Will they pressure me into paying for that? Is a ceramic coat better than Simoniz? This will be for a new X1 in San Remo green and it will be parked off street, but no garage, fully in the elements in New England.
So this is the new 2023 X1 ? Wow nice color and the interior pics are very nice.

Fellow condo neighbor has an X1. Not garaged but reserved parking. It's one of the metallic black colors with a touch of bronze, very pretty color. Anyway her paint has held up fantastic. I don't know four-years old maybe older. But the paint finish is just glossy. And she doesn't hand wash.

Like stated above don't have dealer do any dealer installed paint protection warranty/package/application.
Appreciate 2
      08-07-2022, 11:42 PM   #39
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Most waxes will leave white residue on trim, etc. Just use masking tape. Even clear drying ones will leave unevenness where you touch parts of the trim if you don't tape it off, no big deal at all IMO. Just tape it lol
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 01:31 AM   #40
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep

Another reason to stop all that wax crap; all the new SIO2 sprays do not affect trim, in fact you should use it on your trim on purpose, it seals and protects…
Gyeon Cancoat is a great spray coating - you tube here:

Last edited by Glen e; 08-08-2022 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 02:29 AM   #41
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Somewhat surprised I haven't seen Menzerna Powerlock be mentioned yet. I have used many, many waxes and sealants and always come back to this one.

For reference, my X5 has nearly 100K miles on the ticker.
Appreciate 3
      08-08-2022, 08:03 AM   #42
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post

For reference, my X5 has nearly 100K miles on the ticker.
Beautiful truck.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      08-08-2022, 09:51 AM   #43
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Most waxes will leave white residue on trim, etc. Just use masking tape. Even clear drying ones will leave unevenness where you touch parts of the trim if you don't tape it off, no big deal at all IMO. Just tape it lol
I don't bother. Ceramic can be used on everything external, even glass! Just don't put on side view mirrors if you live in the rust belt!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 09:17 AM   #44
cbcharlie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
I don't bother. Ceramic can be used on everything external, even glass! Just don't put on side view mirrors if you live in the rust belt!
Chemical guys butter wax for now
Appreciate 1
Hap147.00