BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos California to Ban the Sale of New Gasoline Cars

08-26-2022, 09:25 PM   #111
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
For those posting in this thread that claim EV charging and infrastructure "will not happen by 2035"....your uneducated posture on "it will never happen" is not relevant in Seattle....
https://www.seattle.gov/city-light/i...rbside_opt_in-
The fourth bullet point in the program's list of minimum requirements is going to severely limit eligibility.

Quote:
The location can be easily provided with appropriate electric service (this requires a case-by- case evaluation).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 09:48 PM   #112
MunkyTool
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyTool View Post
I don't care what any of you say... No amount of legislation will ever get me to stop riding my horse and buggy!

Oil?! From the earth?!?! At "Gas Stations" as plentiful as every horse stable in town?!?!?! Ludicrous!!!

And what happens if my motor breaks? Years of veterinary knowledge tending to my beloved steed now useless?

I for one my friends will not be duped. Not again. Before we know it we have "See-Ya Horsey!" laws and our glue factory owning politicians will fill their pockets and what will we have?!?!

Nothing... Nothing but efficient, life-changing transportation.

BUT AT WHAT COST?!?!?!
That’s funny “he he” but pretty much ends there…

Comparing a horse to a car, can you travel to another state in a few hours in a horse?

Other travel longer distances slower, how is an electric car a revolution of any sort, especially in states/provinces where power comes from coal?
Good point. Agreed. They should get rid of the coal plants and bring those places out of the 1800's. Glad we're on the same page. Horses forever!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 11:12 PM   #113
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
Gosh, I remember roughly 30 years ago or so that the "experts" were saying the emissions from cars, factories, etc were creating a layer of gasses around the Earth that would block the sun's rays and create a new Ice Age. Funny that now its the complete opposite....
Citation?
Appreciate 1
chris7197353.00
      08-26-2022, 11:23 PM   #114
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Tell that to the reviewers of their Rivian that charging stations are neither monumental or colossal.
One data point of out 10 million.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 11:41 PM   #115
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
We are just going to have to disagree here. I don't see how it can be done, if it is to be done, they need to start now at a much greater level or urgency than they are. We are talking about BANNING the sale of ICE's, conceptualise that for a second.

I don't see it and I guarantee they tweak the legislation to include plug in hybrids.
Are you concerned about available chargers?

The ban will be for new petrol cars. In 13 years. There are approx. 2m new road vehicles sold in California per annum. I reckon 1/4 will be exempt; delivery, farming, emergency, diesel, hydrogen, etc. At 100 chargers per week, it’s 67,600 chargers in 13 years. There are presently approx. 8,200 petrol stations in California.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:04 AM   #116
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
Are you concerned about available chargers?

The ban will be for new petrol cars. In 13 years. There are approx. 2m new road vehicles sold in California per annum. I reckon 1/4 will be exempt; delivery, farming, emergency, diesel, hydrogen, etc. At 100 chargers per week, it’s 67,600 chargers in 13 years. There are presently approx. 8,200 petrol stations in California.
Say what?
Where did you get the information that California will install 100 chargers per week?
Here are my personal experiences with EV Chargers (in San Francisco Bay Area)
- Our home was built in 1979, currently in process of installing a 7.2kw Solars. Asked the installer to upgrade our panel from 100A to 200A Panel. No big deal, just $2,500 for the panel upgrade! Except we have underground utilities and the Power company (PG&E) requires upgrade the underground conduits for the larger wires. That would cost at least $35,000 (could be more if the connection is across the street.
The current wait time for permit is at least 18 months!
-My company building was built sometime in the late 1980s, it is a LEED Platinum Certified. We currently have 2 L2 chargers on-site. They are looking to install a few more and was told NO CAN'T DO because we do not have anymore capacity. Would have to upgrade the Transformers and the cost would be hundred of thousands of dollars. Plus waiting for permit and disruptions to day to day operations.
So NO, it is not that easy to just install EV Chargers!
We are not even talking about the Grids and available power! Everything the temperature get in the 90s, they asked everyone to cut back on power consumption. Then rolling black out if it is hot for multiple days.
I am closing on 100,000 miles on my second VW eGolf as a daily commuter. I really enjoy EV as my DD but EV definitely not for the masses! Not anytime soon.
Appreciate 6
      08-27-2022, 02:57 AM   #117
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
We are paying high gas prices in part because refinery capacity continues to decline and refiners refuse to invest in any new facilities.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...ecade-Low.html
i don't believe. this dig a hole and oil flies out of it for centuries. the UN has just blasted big oil for ripping us off.

i wonder who runs "oilprice dot com"!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 06:02 AM   #118
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The ban will be for new petrol cars. In 13 years. There are approx. 2m new road vehicles sold in California per annum. I reckon 1/4 will be exempt…
Why would CA provide exemptions?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 08:54 AM   #119
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Hello, neighbour. Fellow San Francisco denizen here. Yeah, you’re in a pickle. So sorry. But 100 chargers per week in the whole state is a nothing. Remember alone that now every new home in the state must have rooftop solar. And there are more than 100 new homes built every week. Plus commercial and public spaces. Power? Yours truly is solving that for you. You’re welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 09:00 AM   #120
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Every law has exceptions. There’s a law in California that ‘every’ new home must have a solar system. But there are all sorts of exemptions. This new petrol ICE ban will have loads of exceptions.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 10:55 AM   #121
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Say what?
Where did you get the information that California will install 100 chargers per week?
Here are my personal experiences with EV Chargers (in San Francisco Bay Area)
- Our home was built in 1979, currently in process of installing a 7.2kw Solars. Asked the installer to upgrade our panel from 100A to 200A Panel. No big deal, just $2,500 for the panel upgrade! Except we have underground utilities and the Power company (PG&E) requires upgrade the underground conduits for the larger wires. That would cost at least $35,000 (could be more if the connection is across the street.
The current wait time for permit is at least 18 months!
-My company building was built sometime in the late 1980s, it is a LEED Platinum Certified. We currently have 2 L2 chargers on-site. They are looking to install a few more and was told NO CAN'T DO because we do not have anymore capacity. Would have to upgrade the Transformers and the cost would be hundred of thousands of dollars. Plus waiting for permit and disruptions to day to day operations.
We are not even talking about the Grids and available power! Everything the temperature get in the 90s, they asked everyone to cut back on power consumption. Then rolling black out if it is hot for multiple days.
I am closing on 100,000 miles on my second VW eGolf as a daily commuter. I really enjoy EV as my DD but EV definitely not for the masses! Not anytime soon.
Damn you and your logic. [/sarcasm]

hopefully those that can, will adopt EV. Problems lie with those that cant'.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #122
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Every law has exceptions. There's a law in California that 'every' new home must have a solar system. But there are all sorts of exemptions. This new petrol ICE ban will have loads of exceptions.
I'll try again… WHY would there be exemptions to this legislation?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:59 PM   #123
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Very simple, because there are many interest group, powerful lobbies Politicians will pander to get votes and stay in power!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 01:01 PM   #124
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello, neighbour. Fellow San Francisco denizen here. Yeah, you’re in a pickle. So sorry. But 100 chargers per week in the whole state is a nothing. Remember alone that now every new home in the state must have rooftop solar. And there are more than 100 new homes built every week. Plus commercial and public spaces. Power? Yours truly is solving that for you. You’re welcome.
More than 100 new houses per week does not equate to 100 EV Chargers per week. Not even close!
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1605.00
      08-27-2022, 01:04 PM   #125
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Damn you and your logic. [/sarcasm]

hopefully those that can, will adopt EV. Problems lie with those that cant'.
Exactly, been driving EV for more than 7 years now! A lot of my co-workers ask for advices and maybe 1-2 out 10 would be a good fit for EV. These are pretty high earnings individuals, mostly owned or live in single family homes so the percentage is probably even less when we look at the masses.
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1605.00
      08-27-2022, 01:13 PM   #126
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Juan will buy a used car, just like he did the last time. Might even be some beater Teslas by 2035.
But will he be able to afford to replace the battery. It's not like you can go down to the junkyard and get a used Maxima engine for $1500 and install it with your buddies over the weekend.
      08-27-2022, 02:49 PM   #127
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Very simple, because there are many interest group, powerful lobbies Politicians will pander to get votes and stay in power!
How could this be implemented? How would exemptions be targeted to interest groups? The exemptions would seemingly have to be on classes of vehicles and not people; no?

Edit: could you be envisioning people under a particular income; or ethic groups would be granted exemptions? I guess they'd have to special order an ICE into CA with their theoretical exemption?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 03:07 PM   #128
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post
i don't believe. this dig a hole and oil flies out of it for centuries. the UN has just blasted big oil for ripping us off.

You can find the same info from many sources including Chevron themselves who admit they refuse to invest in any refinery buildout.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 03:10 PM   #129
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You can find the same info from many sources including Chevron themselves who admit they refuse to invest in any refinery buildout.
It'd be really foolish to invest in expanding refining capacity while everyone is talking about doing whatever possible to lower use of petroleum products. Not sure how this reality escapes people.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17381.00
      08-27-2022, 03:16 PM   #130
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
But will he be able to afford to replace the battery. It's not like you can go down to the junkyard and get a used Maxima engine for $1500 and install it with your buddies over the weekend.
He probably wont need to. My friend has a Tesla Model S from 2015 with over 100k miles that has 85% of its original capacity. There probably will be junkyard batteries and installers at some point, though.
Appreciate 1
DocL1939.00
      08-27-2022, 03:26 PM   #131
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It'd be really foolish to invest in expanding refining capacity while everyone is talking about doing whatever possible to lower use of petroleum products. Not sure how this reality escapes people.
As the government is funding Refineries on the East to start units up!! Sounds about right. Clowns
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 04:15 PM   #132
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
could you be envisioning people under a particular income; or ethic groups would be granted exemptions? I guess they'd have to special order an ICE into CA with their theoretical exemption?
More like locale, usage of car, etc. For example, it may be difficult for LEOs and EMTs to do their jobs.
Appreciate 0