BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Be honest with yourself ... What's the highest Fine you've ever earned

09-14-2022, 08:28 AM   #45
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Ok. I drove from Brussels to Amsterdam and I didn’t see any police holding lasers. I hope I’m in the clear. Your highways very suddenly change limits so if you’re not paying attention suddenly you’re going way too fast.

I didn’t see as many windmills on the drive as i wanted to! Disappointed.
Yeah... the laser guns are mainly done on national roads - on highways yeah you've the all radar systems and also sometimes this undercover vans ... and indeed it's crazy how the speed limits change suddenly. I always (guess like more than a decade now) use Waze app (free) for navigation here in Netherlands, also in Europe and all over the world and it helps a lot! It takes Google Maps API and with that very nice features as people that use the same app reporting some beneficial stuff as traffic, hazards, etc and it's very convenient. Regarding the windmills next time you're here you must drive this road:

N247

WINDMILLS OF ZAANSE SCHANS

And the stunning 82 Wind Turbines at Wieringermeer or 91 at Zeewolde ...

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2022, 08:33 AM   #46
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
In my youth traveling on I-10 between San Antonio and Houston, I was stopped for speeding. Being just 27 years old and not very bright, I collected my ticket and went on my way. Since the officer sat on the side of the road finishing the paperwork I sped back up to the speed I was doing before. A few minutes later my Passport blows up again. Instant on from behind. Same cop pulls me over again. I absolutely loved his response when he walked up to my car the second time.

"I had a feeling you were going to do that. Y'know I can do this all day"

Big surprise my 1991 FC Mazda RX7, STP ball cap (on backwards) Ray bans and Slayer t-shirt probably looked sketchy.

Two 80/65 came to around $185 ea which is around $800 today. Definitely put in some OT at work that month.
Wow! That's crazy situation ... the same cop caught you just after the same give you a ticket .. oh man! That doesn't happen often

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2022, 08:38 AM   #47
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
yes, for sure. lucky that most cops in the US southern states are supportive of US military. i was polite, didn't offer any excuses, and answered his questions with "yes, sir" and "no, sir."

it probably also helped that i actually had a perfectly clean driving record...although at that time in the early '90s i dont believe that law enforcement could access records from other states. the cop asked me if i had received any moving violations in the previous 7 years, and i could answer honestly, "no, sir" that i had not.
You're completely right! I do behave exactly the same! Regardless I'm right or not we need to comply with authority. Always! And we benefit from that. 100% sure! Nowadays there's also no way to play or try cheat as everything it's on the records and databases.

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #48
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfried View Post
My fine was $1000 Canadian and a 2 month suspension for 165 kph in an 80 construction zone. No construction or workers present, just the road had been chipped and I got tired of sucking dust. I was on an Yamaha FJR motorcycle. My demerit points were reduced to 3 from 6 after attending a defensive driving course.
ohhhhhh man .... not good not good

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 10:44 AM   #49
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joao.toscano View Post
Yeah... the laser guns are mainly done on national roads - on highways yeah you've the all radar systems and also sometimes this undercover vans ... and indeed it's crazy how the speed limits change suddenly. I always (guess like more than a decade now) use Waze app (free) for navigation here in Netherlands, also in Europe and all over the world and it helps a lot! It takes Google Maps API and with that very nice features as people that use the same app reporting some beneficial stuff as traffic, hazards, etc and it's very convenient. Regarding the windmills next time you're here you must drive this road:

N247

WINDMILLS OF ZAANSE SCHANS

And the stunning 82 Wind Turbines at Wieringermeer or 91 at Zeewolde ...

Beautiful, i will be back for sure. I found the Dutch to be a very friendly, modern and curious people. Even though y’all suddenly become insane when the topic of Max Verstappen and F1 comes up
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2022, 12:30 PM   #50
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino GT View Post
Back in the late 80's in a Z28 doing donuts at an intersection in Hamilton Ontario by Copps Coliseum. I was working afternoons at the time and I was on my way home from work.
It was around 1:30 in the morning and there was no one on the road, so it just seemed like a good idea to go for it.
Let's just say that when the smoke cleared all I saw was flashing lights everywhere

Don't remember how much the ticket was, but I had to go to court and I lost my license for six months. The cops were furious, but at the same time also very nice.
I thought I was going to get a beating, that's how mad they were when they first approached me . They took me in but let me go after they were done their paperwork.
Was not a good idea run donuts early morning!

Thanks for sharing!

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 1
Dino GT35121.00
      09-14-2022, 12:36 PM   #51
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Beautiful, i will be back for sure. I found the Dutch to be a very friendly, modern and curious people. Even though y’all suddenly become insane when the topic of Max Verstappen and F1 comes up
Oh yeah! You tell me! It's nuts indeed! The Dutch people are insane but I loved them badly! It's my home nowadays! About F1 - Well I've set up a nice WhatsApp chat named F1 Cafe where we just chat about F1 - feel free to join us [ F1 Cafe - I'm a huge fan of Max

And yes you'll be very welcome here! Let me know in case you're coming

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 11:22 PM   #52
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
I have gotten one speeding ticket so far and it was when i just passed all my tests to get my driving license back in the day drove 60 km/h in a 50 km/h zone.

Got waved in to the side because the cops were shooting with one of those laser guns. Got the ticket during my probationary period here in Sweden there is a small period of time where if you speed during it after getting your driving license there is a high risk that they can recall your driving license and you have to re do all your tests again to get it back.

But i didn't happen to me so while i sat there after i got waved in and the Police was talking to me holding my driving license in his hand looking all mad and such he wanted to write me a ticket for about 450 $ for that offence but as i sat there a red viper blew by speeding well over 50 km/h so the policeman jumped in to his Saab 9-5 wagon cruiser trying to catch that viper so he drove of with my driving license in his pocket so i sat there in my car where the police had waved me in, for maybe 45 min until the police man came back, laughing out loud apologizing for taking my driving license with him chasing after that viper so instead of of getting 450 $ ticket he lowered it to 200$ So i guess that was a good thing

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2022, 08:43 AM   #53
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
We often see Laser gun method for getting tickets!

A laser gun measures the speed at which a car is driving towards the device. He does this at the speed of light and accurate to three decimal places. A laser gun only shows how fast someone is driving, but does not store any information about the driver. That is why the driver is often put to the side (standing position).
FWIW lasers aren't accurate to 3 decimal places. They might have that level of precision, but accuracy can be all over the place depending on technique. Mostly they are just a lot harder to deal with from a detection perspective.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #54
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
I have gotten one speeding ticket so far and it was when i just passed all my tests to get my driving license back in the day drove 60 km/h in a 50 km/h zone.

Got waved in to the side because the cops were shooting with one of those laser guns. Got the ticket during my probationary period here in Sweden there is a small period of time where if you speed during it after getting your driving license there is a high risk that they can recall your driving license and you have to re do all your tests again to get it back.

But i didn't happen to me so while i sat there after i got waved in and the Police was talking to me holding my driving license in his hand looking all mad and such he wanted to write me a ticket for about 450 $ for that offence but as i sat there a red viper blew by speeding well over 50 km/h so the policeman jumped in to his Saab 9-5 wagon cruiser trying to catch that viper so he drove of with my driving license in his pocket so i sat there in my car where the police had waved me in, for maybe 45 min until the police man came back, laughing out loud apologizing for taking my driving license with him chasing after that viper so instead of of getting 450 $ ticket he lowered it to 200$ So i guess that was a good thing

Oh man!!! Did you by any chance thought that the cop will forgot to come back and give you your license! What a crazy situation! And it's somehow amazing to see how people are intercepted by police in this fashion! It's just because of the money or also the situation itself i mean i get confused if this is only for a sort of warning to people or it has some own judgment on every single time police stop someone to give a speed ticket.

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 10:08 AM   #55
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
FWIW lasers aren't accurate to 3 decimal places. They might have that level of precision, but accuracy can be all over the place depending on technique. Mostly they are just a lot harder to deal with from a detection perspective.
So you mean there's always a discrepancy on the shot. Most likely that's already legislated in the ticket.

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 10:13 AM   #56
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Quote:
So you mean there's always a discrepancy on the shot. Most likely that's already legislated in the ticket.
Its possible to get a laser to read high. Its essentially a range finder. If you start on a far away part of the car and move to a close part to the car it will appear to be moving faster. The narrow beam makes this possible. As for legislated into a ticket? Im not sure traffic courts tend to be kangaroo courts without any actual trial or examination of evidence.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #57
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Its possible to get a laser to read high. Its essentially a range finder. If you start on a far away part of the car and move to a close part to the car it will appear to be moving faster. The narrow beam makes this possible. As for legislated into a ticket? Im not sure traffic courts tend to be kangaroo courts without any actual trial or examination of evidence.
In the end better is to avoid them!

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0