X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2019 X1 Cooling Fan

09-28-2022, 06:52 AM   #1
AWJDThumper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

2019 X1 Cooling Fan

When I got home today, the electric fan was on when I stopped even though I had not been driving in heavy traffic. It had come on before in similar circumstances but normally it stays quiet.

I am not sure whether this is normal or not and would like to see whether it correlates with the temperature of the engine. Unfortunately, the X1 is not fitted with a temperature gauge and so this is not easy to do but, presumably, could be done using the BimmerLink App?

I would welcome any views on whether I should be concerned about the fan coming on in these circumstances and whether I can check what is going on using BimmerLink?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 10:24 AM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJDThumper View Post
When I got home today, the electric fan was on when I stopped even though I had not been driving in heavy traffic. It had come on before in similar circumstances but normally it stays quiet.

I am not sure whether this is normal or not and would like to see whether it correlates with the temperature of the engine. Unfortunately, the X1 is not fitted with a temperature gauge and so this is not easy to do but, presumably, could be done using the BimmerLink App?

I would welcome any views on whether I should be concerned about the fan coming on in these circumstances and whether I can check what is going on using BimmerLink?
Hi there,

Have you checked the coolant level?

You have a temperature indicator on your onboard computer (BC). Keep pushing the BC button (on the left side lever of the steering wheel) until the temperature indicator shows on the central cluster. I attached an image as an example.
Attached Images

09-28-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
AWJDThumper
Rep

Thank you very much in pointing that out. I hadn't noticed the temp gauge before because some of the display is hidden by my steering wheel being set a little high.

However, I now think the fan came on as part of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration cycle that must have been in progress when I switched off the engine. As I understand it, the regeneration cycle involves heating up the filter to burn off the carbon sooty deposits but, if you switch off the engine in the middle of the process, the fan has to come on to cool the filter down.

However, the next time the fan comes on after I stop, I will check the engine temp and, if that is in the green, it will confirm the above explanation.

Once again, thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 01:30 PM   #4
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJDThumper View Post
Thank you very much in pointing that out. I hadn't noticed the temp gauge before because some of the display is hidden by my steering wheel being set a little high.

However, I now think the fan came on as part of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration cycle that must have been in progress when I switched off the engine. As I understand it, the regeneration cycle involves heating up the filter to burn off the carbon sooty deposits but, if you switch off the engine in the middle of the process, the fan has to come on to cool the filter down.

However, the next time the fan comes on after I stop, I will check the engine temp and, if that is in the green, it will confirm the above explanation.

Once again, thanks for your help.
Glad to help!

As a final recommendation, don't forget to check the coolant level. The F48 doesn't have a sensor for that, so it's really dangerous because you can run dry if there's a leak. Check more info here: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1739367
      09-29-2022, 12:21 AM   #5
AWJDThumper
Rep

The first thing I did when I first experienced the cooling fan staying on was to check the coolant level which was fine. In fact, because I suffered a coolant leak on one of my other cars, it is one of the things I regularly check although I found it takes a lot of coolant loss to affect the engine temperature!

Once again, thank you for the helpful suggestions
Appreciate 0